Password

Album Review

Bang Okay Bang - Chemicals EP Album Cover

Bang Okay Bang - Chemicals EP

Reviewed by
Bang Okay Bang - Chemicals EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release date: July 6, 2012
If a stoner rock band falls in the forest, do you really need to be there to hear the sound? Or do you already kinda know what it sounded like? Put another way: Kyuss and Monster Magnet blazed the trails, and their followers aren’t exactly big on Robert Frost.

These things having been said, there’s a lot to be said for not trying to hard to sound different. Lots of musical genres long ago gave up on one song sounding different from the one that preceded it: blues, pop-punk, modern country. So when I put a stoner rock CD in I’m looking for it to be, well, stoner rock.

Bang Okay Bang deliver stoner rock. It’s not new and shiny but it is old and crusty, and that’s exactly how it should be. Each of the four songs on this DIY EP is pretty awesome. It reeks of Nashville and bourbon and dive bars and everything Nashville entails. The closer, “Chemicals Pts. I & II,” is brutal, reminiscent of Boris and their ilk at full-octane peak: bassy, grungy guitar and loads of crash cymbals. The fact that two people (a White-Stripes-style boy/girl duo) make this music is noteworthy, too...

I’m not saying the wheel is being reinvented, or that this is the best EP to come out of the genre in ages, no sweeping generalizations. But it does have giant clanking brass balls, and that’s enough to make me want to give the full-length a swing when it rolls around.

Recommended If You LikeDoom, drone, stoner; Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Queens of the Stone Age, Boris, The White Stripes
This review is a user submitted review from ladedadada. You can see all of ladedadada's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version