Username
Password

08:40 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Omaha, NE
Male - 21 Years Old
I have struggled with depression for most of my life, and for the last 6 years, I have had only one being who has ever consistently loved me. and that's my dog, Max.

Today I was informed by my parents that the vet doesn't think he has much time left. I'm completely devastated.

I know this probably seems childish, but I've never had anyone close to me die, so I don't know how to deal with these things.

I''m driving back home tomorrow to spend the day with him, but it hurts so much to know I might not get that chance ever again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the feelings associated with the inevitable, and maybe even how to cope once I lose him?

Max as a puppy:

Him more recently:
11:34 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Female - 24 Years Old
Staff Member
I lost my cat last August so I can understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry to hear this. I also don't think it seems childish, pets can become our best friends and it's only natural to feel sad when they reach the end of their lives. No matter what the situation is going to suck, but the fact that you can say your final goodbyes and hopefully spoil him with his favourite treats and toys might be able to help you cope. I wish I could have done that for my cat, but he went so quickly that there just wasn't any time.

The first week is the worst and after that it still sucks. 6 months later I still have days where I want nothing more to see my cat again, but at the same time life has moved on. Everyone deals with grief a little bit differently so just do whatever you think you need to help you cope.
11:37 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
Male - 21 Years Old
I was devastated when my dog died back in 2010. I literally grew up with him and didn't know what life would be like without him around. It took a couple of months to adjust to his death but you will learn to deal with it eventually. You just have to make sure you value the time that you still have left with him.
11:40 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Omaha, NE
Male - 21 Years Old
I lost my cat last August so I can understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry to hear this. I also don't think it seems childish, pets can become our best friends and it's only natural to feel sad when they reach the end of their lives. No matter what the situation is going to suck, but the fact that you can say your final goodbyes and hopefully spoil him with his favourite treats and toys might be able to help you cope. I wish I could have done that for my cat, but he went so quickly that there just wasn't any time.

The first week is the worst and after that it still sucks. 6 months later I still have days where I want nothing more to see my cat again, but at the same time life has moved on. Everyone deals with grief a little bit differently so just do whatever you think you need to help you cope.
Thank you for the reply, and I'm sorry you had to go through this with your cat. :(

I've been crying all day, but you're right, tomorrow I need to make the most of the chance to be with him.

The hardest part has been the fact that he's only 6 years old. I never thought I'd have to face this so early, considering golden retrievers' average lifespans are closer to 10.
11:42 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
it's not childish at all. i'm really sorry

our family's first dog died in 2011 and my dad still has trouble sometimes. and my cats are like my kids, man. anyway my cat Iris died a few years back and my brother had a ton of pictures of her (i didn't live in the state anymore). he sent me a bunch, and it helped immensely to be able to see her all stretched out chillin in the sun on the porch, etc. doing all the things she loved to do.
11:42 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Omaha, NE
Male - 21 Years Old
I was devastated when my dog died back in 2010. I literally grew up with him and didn't know what life would be like without him around. It took a couple of months to adjust to his death but you will learn to deal with it eventually. You just have to make sure you value the time that you still have left with him.
I'm going to try. Thank you for the reply
11:46 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Omaha, NE
Male - 21 Years Old
it's not childish at all. i'm really sorry

our family's first dog died in 2011 and my dad still has trouble sometimes. and my cats are like my kids, man. anyway my cat Iris died a few years back and my brother had a ton of pictures of her (i didn't live in the state anymore). he sent me a bunch, and it helped immensely to be able to see her all stretched out chillin in the sun on the porch, etc. doing all the things she loved to do.
Thank you for that reassurance, it's hard to train myself to be comfortable with strong emotions
11:55 AM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
Ricketts
@allenricketts
Dallas, TX
Male - 22 Years Old
It's the closing of a chapter, man. The story of your best friend is nearing completion. It's just the inevitable finish of a great story. That's how I cope with loss. Accepting that all must end bring me a lot of peace. Maybe it will for you too. Enjoy the time you have left with him, I feel for you.
04:50 PM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
Edmonton, AB
Male - 20 Years Old
Losing pets can be really hard, you shouldnt feel childish at all. When my dog died everyone in my family cried for like two weeks straight. Its losing a family member. Dont beat yourself up at all man.

One good thing to remember that if he is sick, once he passes it means he wont be in any pain anymore. I know how hard the initial lose is, but its better say goodbye than to watch them suffer. Even though saying goodbye is horrible and its very very hard, remember that he knows you love him! Dogs know their owners, he will miss you too. But he wont be in any more pain when he is gone.

I hope everything your going through doesnt become too difficult. Goodluck man, stay close to friends and family.
06:18 PM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
Raleigh, NC
Male - 29 Years Old
Sometimes pets make better friends than human.. Remember the good times you had with Max and always talk about the good memories.. Losing a loved one is never easy and it often helps by surrounding yourself with other, still living, loved ones to support you..

Sorry to hear this unfortunate news
12:03 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Brendan_Jure
No Avatar Selected
Thunder Bay, On
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm so sorry. I recently got a Border Collie/ Lab mix who is now 7 months. I would be devastated.
12:17 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Losing pets is the fucking worst. Seems like everyone I know is either getting married or burying their dog.
04:56 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
BoozeCruise
Germany
Male - 27 Years Old
Yeah, I know that feeling. When my dog died a few years ago, it was probably the worst day of my life. He was like my best friend too, and had been with me for almost all my life. But you'll learn to live with it. You just can't change it, it's nature. Just remember that he had a good time with you and was lucky to be your dog.
05:06 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
ChristopherBear
Yokohama
Male
I have struggled with depression for most of my life, and for the last 6 years, I have had only one being who has ever consistently loved me. and that's my dog, Max.

Today I was informed by my parents that the vet doesn't think he has much time left. I'm completely devastated.

I know this probably seems childish, but I've never had anyone close to me die, so I don't know how to deal with these things.

I''m driving back home tomorrow to spend the day with him, but it hurts so much to know I might not get that chance ever again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the feelings associated with the inevitable, and maybe even how to cope once I lose him?

Max as a puppy:

Him more recently:

if your dog is still alive give him a big hug and kiss for me

i was in college too when my dog died and i found out she died over a phone call

didnt even have a chance to give that hug and kiss

give it to max for me
08:13 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
My dog died during my sophomore year of college, I had him since I was 5. My mom didn't want to tell me he died because it was during finals week. It was awful. I was sitting in German class and I got a text from my sister that was like "are you okay?" and I just somehow knew she was talking about him... I literally started bawling in class.

The really sad thing was I hadn't gone home in a long time (my family lived abroad at the time) so I didn't get to say goodbye. -- it was just heartbreaking.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos