AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Should the Onion apologize for their tweet?
Yes 30 20.83%
No 114 79.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

07:35 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
So for those of you not aware, the Academy Awards were last night, and one of the Best Actress nominees was 9-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis, star of the film Beasts of the Southern Wild. Satirical news publication The Onion was livetweeting the awards, and along came this tweet:

Originally Posted by The Onion
Everybody else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a cunt, right? #Oscars2013

The tweet immediately began to receive strong backlash and protest, to the point where it was deleted from the Onion's Twitter account. As of now, no public apology has been given.

Now I know this is a music site, but this is an interesting issue to look at. How do you personally feel about it? Do you believe the Onion was in the wrong and should apologize? Or is everyone offended by the tweet just being a little too sensitive? Let's hear it.

EDIT: They apologized earlier today.
Quote:
Feb. 25, 2013

Dear Readers,

On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive—not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.

No person should be subjected to such a senseless, humorless comment masquerading as satire.

The tweet was taken down within an hour of publication. We have instituted new and tighter Twitter procedures to ensure that this kind of mistake does not occur again.

In addition, we are taking immediate steps to discipline those individuals responsible.

Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.

Sincerely,

Steve Hannah
CEO
The Onion
07:38 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
wall e
@mattobrien37
Agawam, MA
Male - 24 Years Old
There are some words you just shouldn't call a little girl, even in jest.
07:38 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm not offended by the tweet, but yeah calling a 9 year old girl a cunt is pretty mean. The tweet didn't appear particularly satirical either.

I have no problem with the word cunt, I use that word a lot and the word definitely is differently received in the UK than in the US. I wouldn't ever call a child a cunt though. If they'd called her a knob or other slightly milder swear words, I wouldn't have had much of a problem with it.

Also, I didn't watch the Oscars, so I have no idea of the context of why they were bringing it up.
07:39 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
There are some words you just shouldn't call a little girl, even in jest.
So at what age is it fine?
07:39 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
airik625
-
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 25 Years Old
Yes. The onion should apologize.
07:43 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
I think it's pretty obvious that everything The Onion posts is satire and should not be taken seriously. That being said, I ended up voting Yes. The girl's nine, she shouldn't have to deal with that.
07:44 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
deadkidsean
__
UK
Female
Fuck no and anyone that thinks so is dense.

There's a reason the Tweet works as satire and that's because she's SO CLEARLY the complete opposite of that. She's amazingly talented, sweet, genuine, etc. I know the populous doesn't understand comedy, so I don't take anything they say seriously, but the backlash is absurd and unwarranted.
07:44 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
I personally thought the tweet was very funny. It's obviously a joke, how couldn't it be? She's 9, precious, and incredibly innocent. Not to mention that God fisting Buddha in the self-alleged 'most offensive picture ever' they posted a few months ago seemed to get by without any real controversy.

This is my biggest issue with it all, and I know many will disagree. 'I'm a fan of satire/comedy, but come on, she's 9' or variations of that phrase is all I seem to be reading on the internet today and last night. Nothing like that good 'ol slippery slope. Adding caveats to comedy = the death of the medium. You start to create preconceptions or negative connotations with certain subjects/topics/what have you, and then more and more jokes are going to become taboo.
07:45 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
deadkidsean
__
UK
Female
I think it's pretty obvious that everything The Onion posts is satire and should not be taken seriously. That being said, I ended up voting Yes. The girl's nine, she shouldn't have to deal with that.

Deal with what? If the Comedy Police didn't blow it up like they have, there is a 100% guarantee she would have never known the Tweet existed. She is worse off because of the reaction than the post itself.
07:45 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
No.
07:48 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
Deal with what? If the Comedy Police didn't blow it up like they have, there is a 100% guarantee she would have never known the Tweet existed. She is worse off because of the reaction than the post itself.
Eh, you're right. Honestly I went back and forth in my head for like five minutes deciding whether I thought yes or no. Bottom line is I do think it was blown out of proportion--it was obviously a joke about how people take jabs at actors/actresses, but clearly no one dislikes a nine-year-old. At the same time if the girl or her family was actually offended, then they probably owe them an apology.
07:49 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
thursday727
Real Rock 'n' Rolla
Wick City, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
I didn't find it even that funny but i understand the humor and absurdity behind it and i defend right to post whatever they want.No they shouldn't apologize.

If i were the editor of the Onion , i'd be working on an article right now poking fun at people's overblown and misguided outrage.
07:50 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
You either believe in free speech or you don't.

Age doesn't matter.
07:50 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
You either believe in free speech or you don't.

Age doesn't matter.
Succinct and correct.
07:51 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
No

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates