Password

09:13 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
bam. most anticipated so far, right here.
09:49 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
If I've said it once I've said it a million times, but I really don't think I have a favorite album of theirs. The last three all about equal for me. If you tied me down and forced me to choose though I'm gonna go with Alligator.

oh wow, someone else shares this opinion with me finally! dont get me wrong, i prefer Boxer at times but Alligator is the most addictive album and the one whose songs resonate with me the most.

without warm water in my head
all i see is black and white and red
i feel mechanical and thin
hear me play my violin again
i'm living in the target's shoes
all i see is black and white and blue
i'd lie to lie to lie to lie
to protect the name, and protect the title
09:58 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

It's one of my five favorite records of all time.

She said, "I think I'm like Tennessee Williams
I wait for the click
I wait but it doesn't kick in"

the National are pretty influential to me, especially considering Matt Berninger's unique frontman role. the lyrics contain some of the most visceral imagery in my library, and i learned from an interview that he writes songs based on moods and as such, they can have multiple or ambiguous meanings -- i found out that's how i'm most comfortable writing my own lyrics. also, i used to get frustrated at my baritone voice because i felt like i had to use my upper range too often in order for the music to be engaging -- the National is an exact counterexample to that, and they have inspired me to write music that works with my comfortable vocal range instead of the other way around.
10:03 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Dammit Ryan stop with the paragraphs

i'd be willing to bet that at least half of these 30k posts are at least a paragraph long

Quote:
Seriously though, more power to you then. The National (in my opinion) are a very very unique-sounding band and I really don't think there's anyone who does exactly what they do, if that makes sense. Might get some shit for that but I think it's true.

if there is something like them, i havent heard it.
10:11 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Haha wow. Unrelated but :fistbump: for guitar god avvys

I'm terrible with face/appearance recognition, who is yours?

Thurston Moore is so good. he gets a lot of credit for being noisy but i also think he's really creative with the chords he comes up with. ever hear any of his solo material? Trees Outside The Academy is fantastic and one of my favorite things right now.
10:18 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
J Mascis. Yeah I love pretty much everything Thurston's done, but I might prefer Lee just slightly in terms of songwriting.

oh nice. the longevity that Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth both have is impeccable as well. amazing that they both lasted from the 80s.

what's an example of some Lee songwriting? in Sonic Youth as a band i never know who's behind which specific song
10:28 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
After a little fact-checking I may or may not stand by that statement haha, but this one's Lee:

i mean they're all very talented. they can all write beautiful, melodic music or harsh, dissonant music and do it well
10:38 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
i liked the production on that record more than i liked the songwriting. but that's not a negative thing.
11:22 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Awesome. Hoping for more stuff like Exile Vilify

oh man. could potentially be their best song for sure
07:13 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I don't think "England" gets enough love.

my favorite on HV. personally think the album closes strong between that and Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks
11:53 AM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Y'all are all fucking up Alligator all the way

well it's to be expected. i mean, didnt anybody tell you this river's full of lost sharks?
11:57 AM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
see i dont agree that Alligator is a way less cohesive/consistent record than Boxer, i think it flows really well and that there isnt a bad song on it. Boxer has a strong opening and closing, but it gets boring right around the middle to me. don't care for Slow Show or Apartment Story at all
12:03 PM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
But Slow Show is one of the best songs on the album!

Fake Empire, Mistaken For Strangers, Brainy, Green Gloves, Start A War, Guest Room, Racing Like A Pro, Ada, and Gospel are all better songs imo. sorry!
12:10 PM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't really dig "Gospel" as a closer that much. If the record ended with "Ada" it would be better. Just me though.

actually, i think i agree here. Ada even sounds like an album closer. i love how he's just repeating her name over that beautiful chord progression in the end
12:13 PM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
That's crazy to me, as I think that stretch of Slow Show-Apt Story-Start a War is the clear highlight of the record outside of its bookend tracks.

Fake Empire-Mistaken For Strangers-Brainy and Guest Room-Racing Like A Pro-Ada are two of the best three-song strings in my entire music library. just not gonna agree with some of you on this one

Quote:
Saying Alligator is uncohesive may have been hyperbole, but there are a good number of songs that, while decent, feel kind of like fluff to me in the first half. Lit Up, Looking For Astronauts, Soho Riots, and Val Jester are all pretty O.K. Then you have the end of the record which is incredible from All the Wine onward. I honestly prefer Boxer as a whole by a long shot but it's hard to put Alligator behind it when All the Wine, Geese, City Middle, and Mr. November are better than just about anything else they've done.

now that i think about it Soho Riots and Val Jester are the snoozers of Alligator. i definitely dont agree about Looking For Astronauts, that song hits me emotionally. "you know you have a permanent piece of my medium-sized American Heart" love the use of "medium-sized" there.

Quote:
Boxer is truly an incredibly produced and mixed record. Shame they kinda skimped on the vinyl release.

the production on Boxer is one of it's best attributes and probably the reason i do end up preferring it to Alligator sometimes

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos