AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:36 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Seeing as their last three records are three of the absolute best records of the last ten years and they definitely are not tapering off from their peak in any respect I'd say there's about a 0.00001% chance this isn't fantastic.
09:36 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
May is suddenly so far away.
09:38 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
a speedo model
an enthusiast
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
I'd say Boxer, but you can't go wrong with any of their last three releases (Alligator, Boxer, High Violet).
And don't go further back than those.
09:40 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
And don't go further back than those.

No actually, Sad Songs is also a fantastic album, the Cherry Tree EP is great and the debut is good too if not on the same level.
09:46 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
PepsiOne
Los Angeles, CA
Male
Cherry Tree's got About Today which is about the best god damn thing. Boxer is their best/the best, though.
09:46 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
a speedo model
an enthusiast
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
No actually, Sad Songs is also a fantastic album, the Cherry Tree EP is great and the debut is good too if not on the same level.
Eh, there are some good songs but I have never been able to enjoy any of the full releases.
09:47 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
If I've said it once I've said it a million times, but I really don't think I have a favorite album of theirs. The last three all about equal for me. If you tied me down and forced me to choose though I'm gonna go with Alligator.

Eh, there are some good songs but I have never been able to enjoy any of the full releases.
I was that way too about Sad Songs for a while. Don't be like me haha.
09:49 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
If I've said it once I've said it a million times, but I really don't think I have a favorite album of theirs. The last three all about equal for me. If you tied me down and forced me to choose though I'm gonna go with Alligator.

oh wow, someone else shares this opinion with me finally! dont get me wrong, i prefer Boxer at times but Alligator is the most addictive album and the one whose songs resonate with me the most.

without warm water in my head
all i see is black and white and red
i feel mechanical and thin
hear me play my violin again
i'm living in the target's shoes
all i see is black and white and blue
i'd lie to lie to lie to lie
to protect the name, and protect the title
09:50 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Damn, I'm incredibly excited for this.
09:51 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
oh wow, someone else shares this opinion with me finally! dont get me wrong, i prefer Boxer at times but Alligator is the most addictive album and the one whose songs resonate with me the most.

without warm water in my head
all i see is black and white and red
i feel mechanical and thin
hear me play my violin again
i'm living in the target's shoes
all i see is black and white and blue
i'd lie to lie to lie to lie
to protect the name, and protect the title

It's one of my five favorite records of all time.

She said, "I think I'm like Tennessee Williams
I wait for the click
I wait but it doesn't kick in"
09:51 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
Really hope "Rylan" and "I Need My Girl" are on the album, I loved the live versions.
09:54 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
williek311
Richmond, VA
Male - 28 Years Old
Cool.
09:58 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

It's one of my five favorite records of all time.

She said, "I think I'm like Tennessee Williams
I wait for the click
I wait but it doesn't kick in"

the National are pretty influential to me, especially considering Matt Berninger's unique frontman role. the lyrics contain some of the most visceral imagery in my library, and i learned from an interview that he writes songs based on moods and as such, they can have multiple or ambiguous meanings -- i found out that's how i'm most comfortable writing my own lyrics. also, i used to get frustrated at my baritone voice because i felt like i had to use my upper range too often in order for the music to be engaging -- the National is an exact counterexample to that, and they have inspired me to write music that works with my comfortable vocal range instead of the other way around.
10:00 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
gonfreaks
New Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
Holy shit, YESSSSS

2013 is a perfect year for music.
10:01 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
the National are pretty influential to me, especially considering Matt Berninger's unique frontman role. the lyrics contain some of the most visceral imagery in my library, and i learned from an interview that he writes songs based on moods and as such, they can have multiple or ambiguous meanings -- i found out that's how i'm most comfortable writing my own lyrics. also, i used to get frustrated at my baritone voice because i felt like i had to use my upper range too often in order for the music to be engaging -- the National is an exact counterexample to that, and they have inspired me to write music that works with my comfortable vocal range instead of the other way around.

Dammit Ryan stop with the paragraphs

Seriously though, more power to you then. The National (in my opinion) are a very very unique-sounding band and I really don't think there's anyone who does exactly what they do, if that makes sense. Might get some shit for that but I think it's true.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos