AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Capture the Crown - 'Til Death Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 3
Lyrics 2
Production 5
Creativity 2
Lasting Value 2.5
Reviewer Tilt 2.5
Final Verdict: 31%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.5
Musicianship 4.5
Lyrics 3
Production 5
Creativity 3
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 5
Average: 41%

Capture the Crown - 'Til Death

Reviewed by: hanselromero (02/26/13)
Capture the Crown - 'Til Death
Record Label: Sumerian
Release Date: December 18, 2012

If you've been keeping up with the metalcore scene for the past couple of years, chances are you've heard of Capture the Crown, an Aussie quintet attempting to win the hearts of blue-haired girls and br00tal guys everywhere. They rose to fame in late 2011 with their rather infamous single/music video combo "You Call That A Knife? This Is A Knife!," whose subsequent "this is shitty Risecore scene poop" controversy only added fuel to the fire. With comparisons ranging from Asking Alexandria to Asking Alexandria and being signed onto a tour with Woe Is Me in America before even playing a single show, it was no secret that these guys had their sights set on getting big fast. Sumerian, generally a quality label, took notice of this claim to fame and snatched them up as soon as they could, and thus we have their debut full-length, 'Til Death. Put simply, this album could definitely put a sour taste in your mouth, and quite frankly, Sumerian could do much better.

The vocals are something really easy to call out; the cleans are very bland, with nothing outstanding about them. They're pretty obviously abundantly autotuned, which doesn't come as a surprise, but it's hard to tell what's Jeffrey Wellfare's voice and what isn't. Albeit, he certainly has a couple of moments where I raised my eyebrows and was actually pleasantly surprised (namely on "Fork Tongued"), but those moments are few and far between. Wellfare's screamed vocals, however, are worth mentioning; they clearly take direct influence from Danny Worsnop, and I think that's a good thing. His range is pretty noteworthy, and the telltale high-low combos are abundant throughout the album. They add a certain dark atmosphere to the record, something I think is the only thing it's good for. If you're in the mood for something dark and angry, look no further.

I'm gonna try to be gentle when it comes to musicianship and creativity. Clearly, these guys are nothing new. At all. Whatsoever. They're your cookie-cutter chugalug band: verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, tons of electronics and trendy dubstep, and, most importantly, breakdowns aplenty. Often times, their verses are breakdowns. Their choruses are breakdowns. Their breakdowns are breakdowns. Almost everything is a breakdown. This will turn off tons of people. The only reason I stuck around was because, well, I dunno. These guys do it kinda well, and a decent chugalug breakdown is my guilty pleasure. There's a lot of open-note chugging and crab chords, but when they're not just breaking down, they actually have a couple of moments and riffs with some potential (also see "Fork Tongued"). They also have a rather impressive drummer in Tyler March, but it's hard to notice him. Unfortunately, any potential or good moments are crushed by the constant chugging, weird-to-awful transitions (like a bad Rise band), and terribly placed electronics. Could I say I'm surprised?

Now, as for Cameron Mizell's production of the album, well, you can either hate it or timidly accept it. I'm personally a fan of his mixing with the right music and when it doesn't completely drown it out, but he's always been up for speculation. I think it was appropriate for this album, but that's only because it's a chugalong. The lyrics are also nothing special, unless you consider the use of a c-bomb substantial. There's a lot of unnecessary profanity and such, stuff that you'll generally find on an album as angry as this one. It's not quality by any means, but half of the time, you can't understand what's being said, anyway (between Wellfare's incomprehensible screams and thick Aussie cleans). It'd be a waste of effort to spend too much time complaining about the lyrics, though, when there's so much else wrong with the album.

Overall, this album isn't quality. It's gonna appeal to some, but it's really gonna infuriate most. If you're not one to tolerate or enjoy chugalongs, don't even bother. It's safe to say that I hope these guys bounce back with something better in the future for Sumerian's sake, although they probably won't.

Recommended If You LikeAsking Alexandria, Woe Is Me, genericore, chugchugchugchug, breakdowns, Australians in deep black Vs, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/capturethecrown?fref=ts

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
12:53 PM on 03/03/13
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
You're pretty brave reviewing this album, considering how 99% of the people who post on here will rip it apart for the sake of ripping it apart :P Oh well. I thought this album was okay. Nothing spectacular but it didn't make me want to rip my ears off. Help Me To Help You and Til Death are probably my favorite songs.
10:02 PM on 03/03/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Honestly, I loved this album. I've been listening to this genre for longer than most on this site and am way more open-minded towards this sound (not trying to be arrogant, it's just clearly the truth) so I have a couple points.

•I feel that the AA influence is surely obvious but CTC is actually better at this point. I found the singer to be surprisingly versatile and energetic - I actually quite liked his singing and screaming tones.

•Joey Sturgis mastered this, which is why Cameron's production sounds a bit different. I enjoyed the combo.

•I found some of the lyrics to be pretty good/thought provoking thanks to his delivery. IE "What has this world become?!" on Storm in a Teacup and "Til death do us part, you be my special lady" on Til Death don't sound great on paper but his delivery makes it engaging and honestly had me thinking a bit on them after words.

All in all, I can personally look past genericness and enjoy albums like this so my personal enjoyment score would be ~9.25/10 whereas my subjective score would be a 6/10.
03:07 PM on 03/04/13
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Honestly, I loved this album. I've been listening to this genre for longer than most on this site and am way more open-minded towards this sound (not trying to be arrogant, it's just clearly the truth) so I have a couple points.

•I feel that the AA influence is surely obvious but CTC is actually better at this point. I found the singer to be surprisingly versatile and energetic - I actually quite liked his singing and screaming tones.

•Joey Sturgis mastered this, which is why Cameron's production sounds a bit different. I enjoyed the combo.

•I found some of the lyrics to be pretty good/thought provoking thanks to his delivery. IE "What has this world become?!" on Storm in a Teacup and "Til death do us part, you be my special lady" on Til Death don't sound great on paper but his delivery makes it engaging and honestly had me thinking a bit on them after words.

All in all, I can personally look past genericness and enjoy albums like this so my personal enjoyment score would be ~9.25/10 whereas my subjective score would be a 6/10.
I'll take Danny Worsnop's voice over this dude's any day. At least he's got somewhat unique cleans.

Having heard a few songs, it sounds like they literally took tracks from Asking Alexandria's Stand Up And Scream, rearranged the notes in the melodies (any "chord progressions" are the exact same), randomly picked new rhythms for the breakdowns, and made the lyrics somehow more cliche.
09:23 AM on 03/06/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.

Wow.
08:30 AM on 03/07/13
C.D.Fuller
I'm the calm, you're the storm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you're looking for something dark and angry, listen to The Acacia Strain or Whitechapel. Those bands are dark and angry, this band is just bad.
04:33 PM on 03/07/13
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.

This, I completely agree.
09:06 PM on 03/07/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
If you're looking for something dark and angry, listen to The Acacia Strain or Whitechapel. Those bands are dark and angry, this band is just bad.

Those bands are good but they don't scratch the same itch. It's a different, more stylized and cleanly produced feel that bands like CtC go for that's fun for different moods than TAS or Whitechapel.
11:03 AM on 03/14/13
C.D.Fuller
I'm the calm, you're the storm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Those bands are good but they don't scratch the same itch. It's a different, more stylized and cleanly produced feel that bands like CtC go for that's fun for different moods than TAS or Whitechapel.
If you're looking for the Rise produced sound or whatever, listen to The Plot In You. CTC doesn't deserve attention.
02:04 PM on 03/14/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
If you're looking for the Rise produced sound or whatever, listen to The Plot In You. CTC doesn't deserve attention.

Again, fan of TPIY as well but it's still not the same sound. TPIY is more hateful/chaotic with more random song stuctures. CTC is great in the way that Asking Alexandria's Stan Up and Scream was; it's heavy, melodic, slickly produced, full of one liners, and it pumps you immediately when working out.
04:19 PM on 03/19/13
wareaboloumma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
OrdIifEqmTdu ハイカットナイキ YitVxgWvkHcbナイキ RvoTmfGtmYlw nike シューズ FgfUhsRrgNzt adidasXjwKraZkhDre ナイキ airYjuOfpNrjFvq ナイキランニング IsrUijCltBzu アディダス QtwJdgCfbKov adidas スニーカー

CdrAclGsfZue nike フリー VuzSkaUphVoy ナイキハイカット QdwExhExpYvg nike エア WzeFklXyhHko ナイキ コルテッツFsgErwQanFqu ナイキ ルナグライド ZttJwjVtlRqc スニーカー nike LjmLivZggAlm スニーカー nike UftXpbEcnRld nike エア KprAxwKhaUbd アディダス WfhNvqYduGlrスニーカー アディダス QutJwwAnaPsiアディダス UbhKobYgjFav
アディダス adidas IhjRwrFpbKseアディダス シューズ FanFeqJijWnqadidas シューズDusJgjNwbIhjnike ランニングJfqNwdRgsUhaナイキ
04:20 PM on 03/19/13
wareaboloumma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
VcjTreBknGzf ハイカットナイキ PvgPdkKfcZlmnike air QcqSzlWpyXvt nike シューズ PerGirSttKdf アディダスSiiYxqVyuCno ナイキ airLmrDciSgcVjy スニーカー nike HbyVycTtoVnx アディダス ZetOcjYrgFjd アディダスゴルフ

アディダス adidas FgiRwiNakTpnアディダス ランニング IcyVcxWsmDacアディダス シューズWvnRyoIeaIlznike runningJenDisFmfVcpナイキ
ItqIfqWyaYsw nike フリー GvdQhzYwhQld ハイカットナイキ SpbDagFrwTjo nike エア EmlKktJnoYyu ナイキ コルテッツVghTqbSriBsh nike wear GptUgsRwyKee スニーカー nike ZjrYjvQncBnd スニーカー nike LhdOhdVobAna nike air KaqTpkNqpJsx アディダス スニーカー EvaGxjPneSviスニーカー アディダス NjdEncGwpJhjadidas VgnUtlFyaJek
04:20 PM on 03/19/13
wareaboloumma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ZamPjbQafYyt ハイカットナイキ ZbzWvvUgiOsenike HzdOoyWscKfl ナイキシューズ IdxOfpEwxOlv adidasCfaWcxWawYsy ナイキ airYbxGysPjdDxu nike スニーカー TarVypCytEqg スニーカー NynRfeIbtHir アディダス スニーカー

VmbZskTvyNrk nike バッシュ DxeIflEimJaj ハイカットナイキ UrnUzuGhjHir ナイキ フリー EzdHkvDoePmu ナイキ コルテッツWelAtxHiePtf nike ブーツ VmtBfvWwhDeb ナイキスニーカー KqpRvsHarEuo nike シューズ GscZknRluFov ナイキ air NtgXjkYgwQwf アディダス QcwWlnWhhQcxadidas スニーカー HhxXzjNxdTgfアディダス adidas LaiGcqMlnHvx
adidas オリジナル LjxUuaGniHkqアディダス ランニング OytUnnEbpNciadidasLtwQmkExiNkwnike ランニングCmnUbnCjxNgdナイキ
04:21 PM on 03/19/13
wareaboloumma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
NoiJcsFguHaf ナイキハイカット JapDknTunOcdnike air QdzSsiOkmUeu nike シューズ WivCqkDldMse アディダスOyhAxjEmtScy スニーカーナイキXshNslPbrKwy nike スニーカー IdoGwoFieYxh アディダス YngCalKyzIji adidas スニーカー

DtwKgtOfyMsc nike バッシュ TchVxsCgrDxy ハイカットナイキ JujEnjKhyJql ナイキ フリー QxvPmqMofDqj ナイキ コルテッツQoaGpfRteEle nike wear EhcSznKdjZjo スニーカーナイキ OlmUpkRguJkb スニーカー nike WpqJnsGnmLrc nike air KylJueJzeMtb アディダス RwnXwxFuaYgvadidas スニーカー GmbThcRbbRsnadidas DbeGijWnsYhl
adidas オリジナル SezQykCdfLmrアディダス 靴 ZjaKonOslKbvadidasUyjQpeHnrFffnike runningQzwUxoRmuBprナイキ
10:54 AM on 03/26/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I can't take a band seriously if they put "cunt" on their t-shirts.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests