AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Grimes Posts "How To Make Music for (Almost)...

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/04/13)
Grimes has posted a "How to Make Music for (Almost) Free" tutorial.
first off, the best program (in my opinion) is ableton live. however, garageband is perfectly acceptable and i made visions on garageband. its kind of the same thing but simpler.

Submitted by Debut_Fin

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:33 AM on 03/04/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
10:46 AM on 03/04/13
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh lara
11:02 AM on 03/04/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I have no idea how she made that great album on just garage band, but wish I could teach myself to do that.
11:17 AM on 03/04/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I have no idea how she made that great album on just garage band, but wish I could teach myself to do that.
St. Vincent did most of Actor on Garageband as well
11:32 AM on 03/04/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
St. Vincent did most of Actor on Garageband as well
It can't be impossible for me, I gotta get an interface and stuff.
11:36 AM on 03/04/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
garageband is fine for a free program, but once you upgrade to something that costs money you will never even think about opening it again.
11:51 AM on 03/04/13
SourStuff
Five Body Blade Vocalist
User Info.
Grimes is on the money. To make good music can be extremely cheap. First and foremost your music has to be good to start with. Sure production can ruin good music but if it's already good or great that's a fine start. Second, you need to be able to mix with your software efficiently and understand your equipment well. It's also nice that everything can be recorded and written "in the box" which saves so much money long term. Take Tyler, The Creator for example. Whether you like his music or not doesn't negate the fact he's a smart producer. Odd Future was using USB mics and low-level software but they still made awesome tunes, in my opinion. I really like this post from Grimes.
11:51 AM on 03/04/13
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
I made my first beat on garageband over the weekend. I wanna start doing actual stuff, don't know where to start. This is cool.
01:21 PM on 03/04/13
seanthethief
User Info.
I made my first beat on garageband over the weekend. I wanna start doing actual stuff, don't know where to start. This is cool.

I personally love Propellerheads Reason. It's set up in rack format, and you can press Tab to flip the rack around and route stuff wherever. Sampling is also a breeze.

once you decide on a program (or try out a bunch), head to youtube for tutorials in the general style you're looking to record. You'll quickly learn what works (and what doesn't work) for you, and you can get as deep into it as you need.

edit: youtube is awesome for learning these programs. Just search "electro house kick drum reason 6" or something in the search bar and you'll get a ton of stuff.

Also, watching videos from other programs/styles can help you learn the concepts behind your sound design, which is the most crucial part of the process. Learning how to make a kick sit properly in the mix in ableton live can help you more than just copying someone's dubstep tutorial, if you're learning the concepts.
01:48 PM on 03/04/13
Mens
User since 2002
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
live is the bomb
01:52 PM on 03/04/13
Amongster
Up Into The Upswing
User Info.
Uh, awesome?
02:27 PM on 03/04/13
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
garageband has one major flaw: it doesn't allow time signature changes. (maybe they've fixed that by now but I haven't noticed).
03:57 PM on 03/04/13
cityian
User Info.
garageband has one major flaw: it doesn't allow time signature changes. (maybe they've fixed that by now but I haven't noticed).

Very true. Doing a song with more than one tempo is also difficult, though there are ways (tedious, nonetheless) of getting around them.
03:59 PM on 03/04/13
cityian
User Info.
Also, I hope kids aren't just waiting for a musician to instruct them on how to make a song before they take the initiative themselves....
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests