AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Captives – My Eyes Are Open Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.33
Musicianship 8.83
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.67
Creativity 8.83
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.33
Average: 87%

Captives – My Eyes Are Open

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (03/04/13)
Captives - My Eyes Are Open
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Record Label: Reveille Records

People on this website love Brand New.
And people on this website love Balance and Composure.
People on this website will love Captives.

Captives is a post-hardcore-ish band from Eagle Mountain, Utah. Comprised of vocalist/guitarist Jeff Mudgett, vocalist/guitarist Trevor Bookout, drummer Jake Evans, and Tyler Colburn, Captives’ debut EP, My Eyes are Open, sounds like a mix of Brand New’s Daisy, Balance and Composure’s Separation, and perhaps a little bit of Thrice’s Major/Minor.

While it is only four tracks, My Eyes Are Open is nearly twenty minutes of shouting, distortion, and moodiness. Beginning with “Forsaken,” this extended player begins slowly and softly before Captives turns it up and yells out, “Be no sheep/hiding in your own skin/I can tell a stranger dwells within.” Instrumentally, this song demonstrates Captives’ tendency to go from quiet to loud in seconds. “Abandon” is the catchiest song on the album, featuring far less screaming. The song’s post-chorus instrumental break is one of the best parts of the album. “Ugly” sounds the most like a B&C song. Evans’ drumming really stands out on this song as well, and it features my favorite line on the album: “My vices will put yours to shame.” Its bridge is also great, with the vocals sounding slightly distant but no less pissed off.

The album closes out with its slowest song, “Grace.” Featuring no screaming, this song begins with a pretty introduction that leads into quiet singing and over impressive background music. About a minute and a half in the drums kick in, and it flows in perfectly. The song’s pseudo-chorus features a nice harmony as well. The last minute or so of the song gets loud and builds up to the climactic line, “I miss standing in my place/ now I fall from your grace,” before ending the album with that line repeated and the same theme that began the song.

Captives’ My Eyes are Open is definitely worth listening to. If you’re a fan of the current iteration of post-hardcore music, you’ll love it.

Recommended If You Like Daisy, Separation, Major/Minor

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:39 PM on 04/26/13
blondy269
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just listened to this album, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the comparisons to Brand New and Balance & Composure. I really enjoyed this EP, can't wait for a full length from these guys.
12:12 PM on 05/01/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Just listened to this album, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the comparisons to Brand New and Balance & Composure. I really enjoyed this EP, can't wait for a full length from these guys.
Thanks! The EP's great, I wish they were bigger.
03:39 PM on 05/29/13
hands_of_stone
User Info.
Great review. Love this band. I hope they release something new soon.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests