AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 40.
02:48 PM on 03/05/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Another great write up, guys! Brilliant job!

When I was about 11ish, I started listening to 'punk' music, which to me at the time was stuff like Green Day, Blink 182 and Alkaline Trio. Then through them, I started listening to older 80s punk, stuff like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and The Replacements. Goddamn, they were a good band. All the energy, swagger and brattiness (see: Gary's Got A Boner from Let It Be) of punk that I love, but with song-writing ability that none of their contemporaries (aside from The Clash and maybe Dead Kennedys at times) could match. You can really hear their influence on pretty much every alternative or punk band to come out since then.

What's most impressive about them, is that like The Clash, they have the ability to innovate and experiment with different genres and still manage to be consistently fantastic. Which is a lot easier said than done (see: Black Flag's mostly terrible 'experimental' stuff). I think I probably just about prefer Let It Be to Tim, but both albums are absolutely perfect and anybody who visits this website has to listen to both, because they are such a huge influence on pretty much every single 'alternative' artist.
03:03 PM on 03/05/13
The_Effort
User Info.
I really dig this feature. Also never heard this album before today, but I listened to it in spotify after reading this write up. I dig it. The production bugged me a bit and it obviously doesn't have the nostalgia factor it seems to with others, but it's definitely something I can see growing on me. The last song definitely hooked me which I kind of expected after reading this post.
04:30 PM on 03/05/13
fake empire
Registered Member
User Info.
Let It Be and Tim are two of my favorite albums of all time. Between this and The Men review that was posted earlier, it's nice to see some good music covered here. Do Husker Du next!
04:36 PM on 03/05/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
I prefer this one to Let it Be just based on sheer consistency. There're a few songs on Be - "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out," "Gary's Got a Boner," "Seen Your Video" - that've always felt somewhat disposable for me, but here even the off-the-cuff punk numbers seem to have their place. And once you reach the second half, they kick it into fourth gear and never let up until that dense, lonesome atmosphere of "Here Comes a Regular" floats into the ether.

I don't necessarily agree with Chris that they're the most influential rock band of the past thirty years (*cough* R.E.M. *cough*), but otherwise you guys hit the nail on the head. Wonderful, iconic record that everyone should hear at least once. Excellent job once again, guys.
04:40 PM on 03/05/13
katietheskatie
walking on a wire on the ground
User Info.
amazing album from an awesome band. bums me out a little that i don't think i have ever heard anyone outside of the internet talk about the replacements.
04:41 PM on 03/05/13
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Good write-up. One of my favorite albums ever. I find it rare to find other fans though, except online.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer Pleased to Meet Me over Let It Be.
04:42 PM on 03/05/13
cshadows2887
User Info.
"Here Comes a Regular" is just...fuck, man. Ugh. Too good. Perfect. Etc.
04:44 PM on 03/05/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Big parties are never at my house, but if its just like 7 or 8 of us hanging at my house I put the mats on. They call it depressing so I usually Put on the Smiths, Elliot Smith or Mineral after to fuck with them.

Unless you have "Here Comes a Regular" on repeat, I don't really understand the "depressing" claims. But to each their own, I suppose.

Let It Be and Tim are two of my favorite albums of all time. Between this and The Men review that was posted earlier, it's nice to see some good music covered here. Do Husker Du next!

Husker Du is on Chris's half of the list, so we'll be getting to it at some point. Check back!

I prefer this one to Let it Be just based on sheer consistency. There're a few songs on Be - "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out," "Gary's Got a Boner," "Seen Your Video" - that've always felt somewhat disposable for me, but here even the off-the-cuff punk numbers seem to have their place. And once you reach the second half, they kick it into fourth gear and never let up until that dense, lonesome atmosphere of "Here Comes a Regular" floats into the ether.

I don't necessarily agree with Chris that they're the most influential rock band of the past thirty years (*cough* R.E.M. *cough*), but otherwise you guys hit the nail on the head. Wonderful, iconic record that everyone should hear at least once. Excellent job once again, guys.

I'd agree that R.E.M. is more "important" (we'll get to them at some point too), but considering what a lot of the people on this site grew up listening too, I can definitely see the justification behind what he was saying.
04:45 PM on 03/05/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
"Here Comes a Regular" is just...fuck, man. Ugh. Too good. Perfect. Etc.
Yes.
05:00 PM on 03/05/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
I'd agree that R.E.M. is more "important" (we'll get to them at some point too), but considering what a lot of the people on this site grew up listening too, I can definitely see the justification behind what he was saying.

Oh yeah, no doubt they've been massively important, particularly to this loosely-defined "scene." I was just being an ass, really.
05:06 PM on 03/05/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.

I stand by what I said, including R.E.M., who would probably be second on that list.

Thanks for reading Blaine!
05:22 PM on 03/05/13
aliceldiel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with everything you guys said here, but... when I got the 12" of 'I Will Dare' and played it for the first time, well, I just cannot explain what that was like; it was just so unbelievably fucking brilliant. And you can't really argue with Answering Machine or Androgynous. BOTH records were and still are two of the best records ever made.
05:23 PM on 03/05/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
I agree with everything you guys said here, but... when I got the 12" of 'I Will Dare' and played it for the first time, well, I just cannot explain what that was like; it was just so unbelievably fucking brilliant. And you can't really argue with Answering Machine or Androgynous. BOTH records were and still are two of the best records ever made.
I mean, yeah I don't think anyone in this thread would put down Let It Be. In the end it's personal preference to a large extent.
05:31 PM on 03/05/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I've listened to Bastards of Young an ungodly amount of times
05:41 PM on 03/05/13
StreetSpirit76
User Info.
I stand by what I said, including R.E.M., who would probably be second on that list.

I mean, yeah I don't think anyone in this thread would put down Let It Be. In the end it's personal preference to a large extent.

Yeah, Let it Be is still terrific. And contains my second favorite Replacements song ("Answering Machine").
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS