AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

A Lack of Colour - 03.05.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (03/05/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

A Lack of Colour

www.alackofcolour.com
www.facebook.com/alackofcolouruk
www.twitter.com/alackofcolouruk

1. How did you get your band name?

The band name is taken from the Death Cab for Cutie song "A Lack of Color" - it's one of my favourite songs from their album Transatlanticism. I struggled to come up with a band name for a long time and, last summer, I was lucky enough to catch a Death Cab show in Paris. A Lack of Color was the first song they played that night and the memory of them playing that song has stuck with me ever since. When it came to deciding on a band name that was the obvious choice.

2. How did this band get started?

After my last band, MakethisRelate, went on hiatus I started writing loads of new songs. They weren't too dissimilar to the stuff I had been writing for MakethisRelate but they had a lot more focus on lyrical content and I started to find a more diverse range of influences were creeping into the songs. I knew I didn't want to stop recording music or playing shows, so I decided to just start releasing music under a band name and to start playing some solo shows for a while. That's pretty much where we're at now!

3. What bands are you influenced by?

I'm really influenced by bands like Jimmy Eat World, The Get Up Kids and Death Cab for Cutie but I'm constantly influenced by bands I come across from day to day - whether they're recommended by a friend or if I come across them on Spotify or something. I'm really into pop punk too, so bands like The Swellers, The Wonder Years and Fireworks certainly have some degree of influence on my sound. I'm also a fan of indie-folk - bands like Frightened Rabbit, Iron & Wine and The Head and the Heart.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I'd love to tour with blink-182. I'm a massive blink-182 fan - they were one of the first bands I really got into. Touring with them would be a teenage dream come true. I love touring though, so I'd be happy to tour with anyone as long as they're good folk.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

I really should eat better when I'm on tour but I always eat junk food. There's a place in Birmingham called Pizza Planet - unfortunately it's not the place from Toy Story - which sells amazing pizza. It's definitely the food highlight of most tours!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to my band because it's honest and relatable. I sing about what I know, things that are happening in my life at that time - things which I'm sure happen to a lot of people - and I think it's easy to make a connection with my music. I think my new EP, My Life & 8mm, covers a lot of emotional ground too - it's great to listen to when you're feeling a bit shit or when you're feeling pretty damn good about yourself. There's something there to suit any mood.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Michael Jordan! I fucking love Space Jam - I must have watched it at least a hundred time when I was a kid. Definitely, Michael Jordan.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I'd thank my parents. They've both been really supportive of my musical ambitions so they'd get the first thank you.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

It can be pretty clique-y so I guess I'd make the different scenes more welcoming to new bands. Some bands treat the music industry as a competition - they should just concentrate on making good music and be more supportive of other bands who are out there trying to do the same thing.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Having a chat with Jim Adkins (of Jimmy Eat World) and Jenny Lewis (of Rilo Kiley) at T in the Park. I can't even remember what we talked about but it was awesome. I was trying so hard to act cool about it but inside my head I was freaking out. It wasn't really a tour as such, we were playing a few festivals in the same weekend, but for the purposes of this interview it was a tour.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net is the place I can keep up-to-date with the bands I love and discover new bands I can grow to love.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

At the moment, I love playing My Life & 8mm. It's pretty fun to play live and it can be quite challenging too.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I love Paris. I've been loads of times and I kinda know my way around now. I feel really comfortable in Paris - it's a great city.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis always reminds me of my childhood, being driven about in my mum's car. Anything from The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz takes me back too!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Time travel. I'd love to travel back in time but I'm not sure if I'd like to travel forward. I don't want to spoil anything!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Always go to the bathroom before going on stage. Always. There's nothing worse than needing to go 5 minutes into your set. Even if you think you don't need, just go.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I still get really nervous singing in front of people.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think radio can really take a band to the next level but I'm not sure if it's all that good for smaller bands. I think you need constant play on radio to really make a big impact but I guess it's great exposure either way. I don't think my music would seem too out of place on the radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love watching movies. That's how I spend the majority of my free time! I'm really into playing Zombies on Call of Duty at the moment - I suck at first person shooters but it's good fun.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I have a pretty keen nose for food. I can distinguish between a regular crust pizza and a stuffed crust pizza by smelling alone.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums