Username
Password
Rise Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Rise Records
Inside AP.net

AP.net Interview: The Color Morale

Posted by: Jake Denning (03/08/13)
You can read our interview with The Color Morale here. The band's upcoming album, Know Hope was #1 on this year's Most Anticipated Readers Chart. The band will also be part of this years Rise Records tour in April.
Basically, I grew up in a "box"...I grew up as a Christian. And it wasn't until I went out into the real world and saw the gimmick and the manipulation and a lot of things behind Christianity and religion in general. I guess going out into the real world and seeing what would be coined as awful. Sometimes you need to go places to understand what they're all about, and it's so easy to stay inside of a comfort box and keep yourself safe; when you're out in the real world and you're seeing how God and religion are being used against people or to sell a product or to manipulate a thought process or to force someone else into having a purpose and to use a crutch.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
04:44 AM on 03/08/13
BlackTaxi2d
User Info.
now i might have to check them out again. but the last time i heard them, they were just generic early 2000s metalcore. is there actually some substance here?
06:54 AM on 03/08/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Disappointing to see yet another frontman lose his faith.
07:38 AM on 03/08/13
TheFaceOfZach
Strokes the Furry Wall
User Info.
Well, God isn't a requirement to live a happy life. Why do you care?
08:32 AM on 03/08/13
The Mysterious
Amantas sunt amentes.
User Info.
Because it's easier to relate to someone, artistically speaking, if their beliefs align with yours. Music means more usually, you understand the hidden angles (Norma Jean: Meridional, Thrice: Vheissu, Underoath, Define The Great Line) and where they're coming from. There's comfort in that for some people. It's like losing a brother in some ways when you both share the same faith, yet one splits a ways down the road.
08:59 AM on 03/08/13
lfjlol
User Info.
It's disappointing but a lot of people can relate to that. Think of Chris Roetter right now and what he's doing in Like Moths To Flames. I don't know what happened to Garrett. He said in the interview that, "wasn't until I went out into the real world and saw the gimmick and the manipulation and a lot of things behind Christianity and religion in general." I hope I'm not misinterpreting what he's saying, and I certainly hope I am not misrepresenting what he's saying, but a lotttttt of people feel this way. They see the negatives of Christianity because the people with the loudest voices in Christianity are the ones who don't understand other ways of life, they are stuck in a box. Christians all have the same morals, but different ways of getting there. It's too easy as a Christian to see an alcoholic and think to yourself, "well I'm better than him, he's going to hell, he's not "saved", he's struggling". Versus, "I need to invest in that person, I need to offer the truth to that person, I need to really try and make a difference in his life- not a point- but a difference". I think everyone here can count on two hands how many times they have seen Christians attempt to convert non-believers through a message of hate. In actuality we're (Christians) are to invite people to experience God personally. Why in the hell would someone want to believe in a God when the only product they are seeing of that God is a hateful, judgmental person? The real disappointment is that today's common Christian can't begin to describe what they believe other than saying something along the lines of, "The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it." That's such a joke.
09:06 AM on 03/08/13
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Because it's easier to relate to someone, artistically speaking, if their beliefs align with yours. Music means more usually, you understand the hidden angles (Norma Jean: Meridional, Thrice: Vheissu, Underoath, Define The Great Line) and where they're coming from. There's comfort in that for some people. It's like losing a brother in some ways when you both share the same faith, yet one splits a ways down the road.
I totally hear you man. I'm with you on this
09:17 AM on 03/08/13
brettrsd
User Info.
I totally hear you man. I'm with you on this
this. What has this guy done in 'the real world'?

also, my guess is the color morale only relates to metalcore kids at the mall lol.
09:23 AM on 03/08/13
seanthethief
User Info.

Some people grow up and cling to their faith, others don't. Nothing to be disappointed about...that's life.
09:27 AM on 03/08/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Well, he IS the alpha and the omega. Therefor he is God. and god reaaaallly cares what people feel about his only son.
09:46 AM on 03/08/13
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
Disappointing to see yet another human being take an introspective look at their beliefs and make an informed and honest decision.

Fixed it for ya bud.
09:49 AM on 03/08/13
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Knowing he has had a breakdown with religion makes me look forward to this record even more. I went through the same thing about a year ago so it'll be nice to connect in that sense. It's just life. It happens.
10:10 AM on 03/08/13
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
It's disappointing but a lot of people can relate to that. Think of Chris Roetter right now and what he's doing in Like Moths To Flames. I don't know what happened to Garrett. He said in the interview that, "wasn't until I went out into the real world and saw the gimmick and the manipulation and a lot of things behind Christianity and religion in general." I hope I'm not misinterpreting what he's saying, and I certainly hope I am not misrepresenting what he's saying, but a lotttttt of people feel this way. They see the negatives of Christianity because the people with the loudest voices in Christianity are the ones who don't understand other ways of life, they are stuck in a box. Christians all have the same morals, but different ways of getting there. It's too easy as a Christian to see an alcoholic and think to yourself, "well I'm better than him, he's going to hell, he's not "saved", he's struggling". Versus, "I need to invest in that person, I need to offer the truth to that person, I need to really try and make a difference in his life- not a point- but a difference". I think everyone here can count on two hands how many times they have seen Christians attempt to convert non-believers through a message of hate. In actuality we're (Christians) are to invite people to experience God personally. Why in the hell would someone want to believe in a God when the only product they are seeing of that God is a hateful, judgmental person? The real disappointment is that today's common Christian can't begin to describe what they believe other than saying something along the lines of, "The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it." That's such a joke.
couldn't have said this any better.
10:11 AM on 03/08/13
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
ITT: People who don't understand that faith will obviously be more important to the religious than to the irreligious.
11:37 AM on 03/08/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.

To add to what The Mysterious said, it's like if you followed a politician or president or whatever and they had built your support/interest by being really for issues that you believed in and then one day was like "Eh, fuck it. Just joking." I'm not saying the new TCM CD won't be great still and I listen to loads of secular/atheist/agnostic bands but I think it's 100% understandable if someone were to have an issue with him losing his faith.

And yes "God isn't a requirement for a happy life." but it is disheartening to see more and more people give it up. I try to respect everyone's unique beliefs but when it comes down to it, I see atheism as a way of life that sees there is no hope. ("Know Hope"? -_-) Like the religious/spiritual are the ones who are hopeful/positive and the atheists are often cynical.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests