AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 45
10:44 PM on 03/12/13
brandonisstupid
User Info.
The reason I love to listen to vinyl is because it has sentimental value to me. My parents collect vinyl and so my earliest memories growing up and listening to music was from my parents playing vinyl records for me. Since then, I've really come to value the quality of a vinyl record over a an mp3 or a cd, because i not only think it sounds better and more organic, but it also takes me back to my early memories of music.
11:22 PM on 03/12/13
Ferrari333SP
User Info.
Just saw them last night in Lawrence, KS and you are in for a treat. Their stage presence is fucking amazing, just the way they all sway to the music as the play in unison. The guys in the band were so nice when I met them after the show - they even helped me track down the other band members afterwards. It was one of the better concerts I've been to in a while, and I would absolutely love to see them again.

It was amazing; they just seemed to own the stage. They seemed to be completely in tune/involved in every song they performed, and genuinely seemed to appreciate the crowd and the reaction they got. I couldn't stick around to meet/talk to them afterword, but I've only heard great things about the band in general. Can't wait to see what they create in the future.
11:27 PM on 03/12/13
Festivus
for the rest of us...
User Info.
It is artificial nostalgia... the aural version of picking up a polaroid. You can pick that picture up and go back to that moment, but it will be different every single time.
12:05 AM on 03/13/13
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
For me, listening to vinyl records is special because we just recently spent a lot of time and money refurbishing my grandparent's old Zenith turntable/desk/cabinet. Listening records on the same table that my grandfather, grandmother, mom, aunts, and uncle used is really amazing to me. It provides a connection between the music that my mom loved and what I listen to today. We listen to each other's music much more often now than we ever did before!
12:38 AM on 03/13/13
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
I never listened to a vinyl album! but I'd love to give it a shot!
05:41 AM on 03/13/13
crowbarmark
don quixote of the ICU
User Info.
If you thought holding a CD in your hand was the most rewarding way to listen to music, holding vinyl so much better. The smell of the vinyl packaging gets me everytime, and good artwork is just that, artwork on a canvas. It's one of the most immersive ways currently available to listen to music.
06:02 AM on 03/13/13
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Vinyl has a very special place in my heart.
When I was younger my Dad got me into some of the best music I know through sitting in his study and playing great records by bands like Zeppelin, The Beatles, AC/DC and so many others. We used to go shopping to record stores and both pick up different records together and it was a big bonding time for me and my Dad.
Sadly my Dad died just over two years ago, and after that I struggled buying vinyl as it brought up all these memories. My mum then bought me my first record after my Dad passed as she knew how special the times I shared with him were, and she continued to buy me records and me and my mum started listening to records together.
To top off my bad times, my Mum died just before Christmas last year. Only this time I didn't feel I couldn't buy vinyl, I now feel that I have such memories attached to my collection that it's only fitting to add to it in the hope that one day I'll get to share those memories with someone else and add my own memories.
So to me, Vinyl is a real connection to a lot of memories that really do bring me so much joy.

(Sorry that's kind of a depressing story...)
06:07 AM on 03/13/13
cholly
User Info.
I like listening to records because that's what me and my grandpa used to do together before he died.
06:49 AM on 03/13/13
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
It's like that old MTV commercial where the dude is struggling to get a CD out of it's packaging - that was what buying a CD felt like back then. Now, sliding a vinyl out and putting it on a turntable commands that same feeling. It's fantastic.
08:30 AM on 03/13/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
I prefer vinyl because of the better sound, the large artwork, and variety of different color options. With the world leaning in the direction of digital media, many things are becoming cheapened. All the effort that goes into the recording is one thing, but then there's the art, lyric sheet, credits, notes, and whatever else that goes along with the record that makes it feel real. With vinyl, you get the ultimate experience: the best sound possible, as well as ultimate way to experience the cohesiveness of the art. Albums feel more important when you hold them in your hand, and I think that's key to supporting artists and helping the industry today.
09:04 AM on 03/13/13
inkblotmemories
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
In an age where instant gratification is not only demanded but often expected most people don't recognize the quality that a product suffers with its convenience. Yeah sure like everyone who posted before the size, the physicality, the sound quality, the experience, etc... thats all good, but to me I feel as though its a back to basics for the world. For me I grew up right after vinyl. I had a ton of cassette tapes, cds, and mp3s but it wasn't until the vinyl resurgence that I felt like I had an actual music collection. I have a deeper appreciation for music pressed on vinyl because it's slow (which in this age is a good thing). If I want to listen to another song I have to go to my shelf, pick out a record, open it and put it on which is a hell of a lot more effort than clicking random and next on iTunes. When I'm working it's a nice break to flip the record and go back to what I was doing. All in all, it's an appreciation for something that isn't instant and is better for it!
11:30 AM on 03/13/13
matt.
matt
User Info.
So that every album sounds like the beginning of The '59 Sound.
06:40 PM on 03/13/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
I don't listen to vinyl because I think it sounds better, because honestly I don't think it does sound any better. In fact, the cracks and the pops that develop over time technically take away from the way the album sounds. When your needle gets a little dust on it and you're too lazy to wipe it off, the music gets fuzzy.

I listen to vinyl because it forces me to sit down and focus on the music. It takes time and effort to get up, pull the record out of the sleeve, and set the needle. It's this effort that will inspire me to give the album an honest chance. Sit and evaluate each song, each side, each album. And when I'm lazy, I'll listen to the same side 10 times in a row. I'll get those songs in my head, and then I'll flip the record and do the same thing on the other side. An hour later, I'll change the record. I've grown to love some albums I didn't expect to this way.

I'm also a fan of the presentation. Big album art, inserts, the record itself. There is so much room for customization and personality. There is a lot of care that goes into producing an actual record, because more money is being invested in the process.

Inheriting my dad's collection has inspired me to get into a whole new world of music. I've sat and listened to his records and thought how cool it was that he listened to those records when he was my age, discovering what good music was.

Thirdly, I love having a physical collection of my favorite albums. They actually become a display in your household. It's something that you can be proud of, and that your guests will see.

Lastly, it has made me spend way more money on music than I ever have in my life...and that's a great thing. I never pictured myself being the person to buy music. Since I've gotten into collecting records, I've spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

I'm glad to see the hobby of collecting records returning. It feels good to be part of such a big movement as well.
02:19 PM on 03/15/13
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
I hope I win. Definitely one of my top albums of 2012. Would love this on vinyl.
09:51 AM on 03/22/13
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
Did anyone ever win this?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT