AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Joe DeVita - 03.12.13

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (03/12/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Joe DeVita

http://www.daddytank.co.uk/
http://soundcloud.com/jdevita1

1. How did you get your band name?

It is my birthname. I know, not that original...

2. How did this band get started?

I used to lead Jazz groups, trios, quartets, etc. I spent quite a bit of time learning how to arrange different instruments by using composition programs like Finale. Eventually I got to a point where I was using sequencing programs and gaining a better understanding of them. I gradually shifted from leading groups to producing music via programs. I didn't really intend to use computer composition as my main method for my music to get across to people. However, those who heard what I was doing seemed to like it. That encouraged me to carry on exploring the potential of computer based music. In retrospect, it was a natural progression and certainly, a less stressful one.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

I'll try to keep this list short as there are so many groups that I've learned something of value from. The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Swans, Janes Addiction, Fugazi, The Grateful Dead, The Beastie Boys, the last Miles Davis Quintet, John Coltrane group w/ Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane, Sun Ra, Sonny Sharrock, Pink Floyd, Portishead, Radiohead, The Slits, Teenage Jesus, Sly and the Family Stone, Funkadelic, Talking Heads, James Brown, Bjork, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Beck, Squarepusher, Radiohead, The Meters, MMW, Smashing Pumpkins, The Flaming Lips, The Pixies, The Bad Brains, Daniel Johnston.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Probably Fugazi, if they ever got back together. I respect how they operated. If I think of the DIY mentality, Fugazi is at the top of the list.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

I wouldn't say it's the best food so much as the most cost effective. As much as I hate McDonald's, their dollar menu has saved me more than once while on the road.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I don't have the foggiest why anyone should listen to what I am doing.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I don't know anything about sports. I'd like to keep it that way.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Probably my mom. She's alright..

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

At this point in my life and creative endeavors, I don't take the mainstream music industry into consideration. It will do what it has always done, whether their formula will continue to work is anyones guess.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Playing an impromtu concert for a bunch of senior citizens in a Wendy's in Ohio.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I am always on the hunt for new and interesting sounds. AP has been good in pointing my toward some groups I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Lately, Lazy Flies by Beck. The line," The skin of a robot vibrates with pleasure" puts a smile on my face.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I kinda like Kansas, just fields forever..

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

The Who.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The power to make all adult occupants of this known universe have an orgasm simultaneously by snapping my fingers. No one gets hurt.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Sometimes I meditate.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I hate talking about myself.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio?

Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? I would listen to the radio when I lived in San Francisco. They had a great station that played everything from Punk Rock to Hip Hop. I forget the name of it but when I did listen to the radio I listened to that station. I can't really tell you about the current state of radio because that and my television generally stay unplugged. As far as me thriving on major radio in the states is concerned, I would find that very doubtful. My music is usually played on radio in Europe, that just seems to be the audience that has been more exposed to my music. If I had any criticism for radio in the states, I would say that the programming is a bit shallow. I don't see why a station cannot have an hour dedicated to a different style of music. Perhaps they are taking the path of least resistence by playing what they think everyone enjoys. Unfortunately, everyone get short changed by playing and listening to the same ten bands over and over.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like reading. If I'm temporarily burnt out on making music I'll try another creative medium, usually something I'm horrible at but enjoy doing. I try to meditate daily and go walking around the area in which I live.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

The beauty about having a hidden talent is that when the talent is presented, people are dumbfounded. That being said, I'd like to keep my hidden talents to myself until further notice.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News