Username
Password
Green Day News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Green Day
Inside AP.net

Green Day Didn't Sell Out; You Got Old

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/13/13)
Elano Pizzicarola of LA Weekly, makes the argument that Green Day never sold out, we (the fans) just all got old. Personally, I don't give a shit if a band sells out or whatever (that term stopped meaning anything to most of us years ago), as long as they're making music I like listening to. And well, it's no secret that I think the last three Green Day albums embarass the band's catalog.
They continued to flex their punk muscle even more recently. In 2009, they ripped though a live version of "American Idiot" on Good Day America before a Central Park audience. The band ignited a mosh pit and got the rollicking crowd to chant some of their profane lyrics. Green Day basically gave the finger to sanitized morning TV! At the Tony Awards the following year, they performed "Holiday" alongside the cast of American Idiot, the play, and brimmed with just as much energy as the "old" Green Day.

Submitted by touchdownboi

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 92
02:40 PM on 03/13/13
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
American Idiot (their peak) was so solid but everything else is just shit.
02:41 PM on 03/13/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
more punk rock operas.
02:44 PM on 03/13/13
njiata603
http://greatbigchoruses.tumblr.c om/
User Info.
Love Green Day. Despise people who think "selling out" is a real thing.
02:44 PM on 03/13/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Going to a green day show can tell you this. They play what they want when they want. Teir sets are 3+ hours with material spanning their whole career and their shows are still very much green day, just on a large budget and a bigger size.

There's a difference between a band selling out and becoming huge. See: Rise Against, ADTR, bands that actually sold out.
02:48 PM on 03/13/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Going to a green day show can tell you this. They play what they want when they want. Teir sets are 3+ hours with material spanning their whole career and their shows are still very much green day, just on a large budget and a bigger size.

There's a difference between a band selling out and becoming huge. See: Rise Against, ADTR, bands that actually sold out.
One of the best live bands I've ever seen.
02:49 PM on 03/13/13
Drown_The_City
A contender now throwing the fight
User Info.

This is fairly laughable.

The song that got rise against big in the first place was never re-hashed, used to make them huge cd after cd
02:50 PM on 03/13/13
Drown_The_City
A contender now throwing the fight
User Info.
They were great on the pop disaster tour
02:51 PM on 03/13/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

The song that got rise against big in the first place was never re-hashed, used to make them huge cd after cd
Saying Rise Against sold out is ridiculous.
02:52 PM on 03/13/13
imposs1ble
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This dude writes like he's in 3rd grade.

Furthermore, green day go back and forth between making quality music and sellout (though it is a dated term) bullshit. Never has there been a band where it's more evident that the album you're listening to is either the album they wanted to write vs the album they think they're supposed to be writing.
02:53 PM on 03/13/13
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Selling out and releasing shit material is different. Look at any classic band. No one expects the Rolling Stones or Van Halen or any of their contemporaries to come out with great material nowadays.
02:56 PM on 03/13/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.

Have you been to a rise against show lately? I don't believe In selling out, but that's as close to it as you can get.
02:57 PM on 03/13/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Green Day never sold out. I can think of bands that have - it is a genuine phenomenon *coughBlackVeilBridescough* - and the fact is that, as I heard someone argue a while back, Green Day still make the music they want to make, and that makes them a hell of a lot more punk than a lot of other bands.

No disputing, however, that 21st Century Breakdown through Tre! have been average at best and combined some of the band's best work with some of their worst.
02:58 PM on 03/13/13
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
Yeah they def didn't "sell-out." I don't think there should be such a term.
03:00 PM on 03/13/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.

They keep getting better and better too. Who cares if they have extras playing horns and more guitars on stage? They upped the ante on their production for their show and even though their writing hasn't been stellar they have stayed a better live band than most bands still putting out "quality material"

Would love it if the band just sucked it up and recorded a new version of cigarettes and valentines, even if its just an EP. The triple disc had its moments but I think they kind of need to take a step back and re-invent like they did with American idiot.

Whatever your opinion on the band, that album was a game changer for the mainstream.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums