AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends

Reviewed by: justbradley (03/13/13)
Portugal. The ManEvil Friends - Single
Record Label: Atlantic Records
Release Date: March 5th 2013

There are plenty of bands whom I have not listened to in the last couple years releasing records this year, such as Vampire Weekend, The Dear Hunter, Paramore, and plenty of others. Alaskan/Oregon experimental indie outfit Portugal. The Man released In The Mountains In The Clouds in 2011, and I bought a copy of it, which I quite enjoyed. That was my first experience with the band, and while I enjoyed it, I haven’t listened to it in awhile, for whatever reason. The record kind of fell to the wayside for me, but last week, I was notified that they released the title track from new record Evil Friends as a single, and I was very intrigued. This is a band who is known for constantly evolving, and shifting their sound for each record. They’re not a band that stays consistent, to say the least. That’s okay, though, because I like bands who keep it fresh, and don’t have the same sound throughout every record. In The Mountain was a very atmospheric and “chill” record, so how does the single “Evil Friends” fair up? It’s actually a very interesting song, and I don’t mean that in a very sarcastic way whatsoever. It’s an interesting track, because it begins with a very slow guitar riff and quiet vocals from vocalist John Gourley. His vocals are distorted throughout the whole song, and they actually remind me of the song “Harlem” by New Politics. This song isn’t as energetic as that one, but it’s still energetic, nonetheless. It picks up around the minute mark, and it has a nice guitar riff from guitarist Noah Gersh, which drives the song along, and compliments Gourley’s vocals. The song is only about three-and-a-half minutes, and while it’s nothing spectacular, it has a rather straight-forward indie approach to it, unlike In The Mountain In The Clouds.

Recommended If You Like Phoenix, Circa Survive, Vampire Weekend, The Dear Hunter, experimental indie-rock, etc, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Evil Friends

Portugal. The Man is:
John Baldwin Gourley – vocals, guitar, organ, machines
Zachary Scott Carothers – bass guitar, backing vocals
Kyle O'Quin – keys, synth
Noah Gersh – guitar, vocals, percussion
Kane Ritchotte – drums, percussion

www.facebook.com/portugaltheman

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
Options