Username
Password

Comments: Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 117 of 117
02:28 PM on 03/15/13
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.
It's really just a moot point now, it's not legitimate so it's not worth getting worked up about.
02:55 PM on 03/15/13
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
Yeah. I'm done discussing too. Also, your use of "moot" has put me in a good mood somehow.
03:19 PM on 03/15/13
Rob Hrx
hates a girl with pity in her eyes
User Info.
Man, that's depressing.

EDIT: I see it was all a joke. Ha.
04:46 PM on 03/15/13
j'aime_lacey
Lacey Caroline
User Info.
I don't know what's more terrifying: the abuse and destruction of music as individual/artistic expression or the idiocy of the people that will pay into this.
04:50 PM on 03/15/13
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.
Yeah. I'm done discussing too. Also, your use of "moot" has put me in a good mood somehow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObtPBh3NXs

It's a moo point.
09:00 PM on 03/15/13
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
10:47 PM on 03/15/13
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
sounds like something keith buckley would do and act like this about it. idk why that came to mind but yeah i could see someone like him doing this. but in all honesty i don't see much of a difference between this and doing a cover song and getting known for it like a lot of bands do these days.
01:29 AM on 03/16/13
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
sounds like something keith buckley would do and act like this about it. idk why that came to mind but yeah i could see someone like him doing this. but in all honesty i don't see much of a difference between this and doing a cover song and getting known for it like a lot of bands do these days.

The difference is that a cover song doesnt flaunt a guise that the cover singer created the song. a properly labeled cover gives full credit to the original artist and does so candidly. The entire difference is that this idea promotes the taking of an original unreleased song from a songwriter and pawning it off as someone else's. That's the obscene part.
07:57 AM on 03/16/13
WordsandMusic
User Info.
" SONG SPECIAL (all the music written you need for your demo!) $600, add a long intro for $75 extra and make it into 5 tracks for only $675
5+ songs – $150/each
For full recordings (DRUMS, BASS, GUITARS) in a professional studio (Ready for you to put vocals over and have your instant band) email us for pricing."

Seems to me that induustry veterans should know that if you present a "demo" featuring nothing original, you aren't likely to get a deal. This is...I'm a little nauseous. No part of me would ever peddle other peoples material as my own. Punk rock vets should know better. If they're struggling financially, open a studio, create a graphic design studio, sell posters, BUSK-but don't do this. And please don't be any band I really like.

EDIT: just saw this was a joke. Thank God.
09:25 AM on 03/16/13
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
The difference is that a cover song doesnt flaunt a guise that the cover singer created the song. a properly labeled cover gives full credit to the original artist and does so candidly. The entire difference is that this idea promotes the taking of an original unreleased song from a songwriter and pawning it off as someone else's. That's the obscene part.
doesn't that happen all the time though? whenever mudvayne covered king of pain i thought it was an original, until i learned otherwise. i know i can't be the only one who has heard a cover song and had no idea it was a cover. not only that but plenty of artists already don't sing their own songs, they may have tweaked a few things themselves but that would happen in this case as well. lines get stolen from songs, riffs taken from other songs, etc. one instance stands out is these are the days by the exies, but they didn't write the song another band did and only if you read the booklet notes would anyone know that. obviously only one instance in very very many booklets no one ever bothers to look through. just like all these taylor swift fans who think she writes all her own music, wake up.
10:25 AM on 03/16/13
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
That RetiredArtists website is a hoax. It's an elaborate April Fools prank. I know this because I shared your article with a friend who found the April Fools page via search engine indexing. They must've figured this out because the page gives an error now, but if you search Retired Artists April Fools 2013 in Google Search you can still see a bit of what was there. It says: "This is a living archive to commemorate the prank pulled on the hardcore/punk scenes during April Fools Day 2013. Begin: 3.13.13, End: 04.01.13 ..." Also, if you post the site on Facebook, it gives the following message: "Collect money from clients. Record phone calls between ‘fake’ artist pretending to be musician from popular band and clients, to be released on April Fools Day." So basically it's someone trying to pull a prank on the scene and see who actually buys into it.
Bravo
02:53 PM on 03/16/13
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
doesn't that happen all the time though? whenever mudvayne covered king of pain i thought it was an original, until i learned otherwise. i know i can't be the only one who has heard a cover song and had no idea it was a cover. not only that but plenty of artists already don't sing their own songs, they may have tweaked a few things themselves but that would happen in this case as well. lines get stolen from songs, riffs taken from other songs, etc. one instance stands out is these are the days by the exies, but they didn't write the song another band did and only if you read the booklet notes would anyone know that. obviously only one instance in very very many booklets no one ever bothers to look through. just like all these taylor swift fans who think she writes all her own music, wake up.
i say again, a properly labeled cover song gives full credit to the original artist and does so candidly, not in the liner notes or in the lyric booklet. if it's not mentioned in the title or before playing the song, it's deceptive and shame on them. one such instance i can think of is one of my favorite folk singers, Iron & Wine. he gained a lot of attention for his cover of "Such Great Heights" by The Postal Service, and although it was a collaborative effort to have the cover included on the "Such Great Heights" single release, most people who hadn't heard of The Postal Service had no idea that it was a cover. transparency is important with this kind of thing, and i was disappointed that he wasn't more transparent about it.

that minor issue aside, there is a gaping moral difference between covering a song and purchasing a song from a songwriter, no matter how it's labeled or rationalized.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos