Password

Album Review

Senior Discount - There Were Four Who Tried Album Cover

Senior Discount - There Were Four Who Tried

Reviewed by
Senior Discount - There Were Four Who Tried
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 12, 2006
Rhode Island’s natives the Senior Discount amplify their punk rock sound to a torched crisp on their debut album There Were Four Who Tried, which cranks up the volume to a loud and ruckus level that is worthy of NOFX. The band’s bruising bass tugs from Kevin Silva along with their tightly knotted guitar chords orchestrated by Tom Wells and lead singer Chuck Staton are glued together by the energetic drum loops of Christian Staton who shows a tumbling action reflective of Chixdiggit. Some tracks have splashes of ska punk accents that would catch the eye of Less Than Jake’s admirers and porous textures which show every teething pain that the band can muster out of themselves. The band really acts out their emotions in these tracks and have no apologies for insulting anyone during their rampages.

Their track “VBW Song,” which bares the name of their entourage the VBW, a group of guys that assist them in various ways, is a hardcore punk anthem that starts off slow and melodic and then cranks up the volume to a hard boil with intervals of heavy bass grooves and ska-strokes. The lyrics shed light on the band’s teething pains: “Well I can’t explain my past / But I’ve had my share of laughs / You can’t be a good star without a solid cast / In a world of mediocrity only few hold stock with me / Rise above the flock and storm the streets singing.” Every track from the album is an anthem to punk rock’s principles, sticking up for the guys who don’t conform and feeling inspired by their revolts.

The track “We All Fall Down” is something out of the ordinary for the Senior Discount who attach a series of string arrangements on the tail end of the song, which awakens a sunny sonic bloom through the episodes of attack and pummel. The other tracks display a rough and tumble interplay like ‘Nothing’s Left” and “Smile.” The ska punk grooves of “I’m Crazy” have an agitation liken to Less Than Jake and the screamo punk rock stylizing of “Ataxia” have a kindred spirit in NOFX.

Senior Discount’s hormones show an insatiable hunger for punk rock principles and music in their album, There Were Four Who Tried. Their songs show a teething pain which often segues into adulthood. A transformation that punk rock musicians try to avoid at all costs, but much like Less Than Jake, it is inevitable that these hormones, which act out on feelings of lust, will subside. For now, the Senior Discount have the rushing hormones of punk rock’s harbingers, and they want to enjoy this rush before it disappears.

Recommended if You LikeLess Than Jake, NOFX, Chixdiggit

myspace.com/seniordiscount
This review is a user submitted review from Susan Frances. You can see all of Susan Frances's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version