AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Strongheart - 03.15.13

Interviewed by
Strongheart - 03.15.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Strongheart

http://strongheart.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/strongheartmusic
http://strongheartmusic.tumblr.com/

1. How did you get your band name?

I think people have more strength of character than they want to admit to themselves. It’s easier to be weak, to let things slowly burden you to the point where you’re allowed to feel sorry for yourself and entreat the strength of others instead of initiating it yourself. Once you begin to see yourself as possessing a weak character, you become that weakness. If someone were to actually tell you, with conviction, that your heart is stronger than you think, you may eventually begin to believe, and to become that strength. “Be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord”. Don’t worry, not all of my answers are this heavy.

2. How did this band get started?

Hey, my name's Matthew Anderson. After touring with my band Kairos House, I mopped up a few old demos and started chipping away. Six months later the debut self titled album was done.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Oceansize, Tool, Talk Talk

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Oceansize. Their album “Frames” transcends pretty much all musical preconceptions. They’re not around anymore though.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Green smoothies. Ugh.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Hopefully because the music is good.

7. If you could be an athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Neil Armstrong? What?

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

All of the pertinent people.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I think most people, including me, have less to say artistically than they think. Most days I wish there were less bands trying to become the next big thing. But then I realize that I’m in the trenches too, trying to get heard, so this isn’t really a valid desire. I think I would change people’s motives, including my own. Music has the power to heal, to bring people together, and too often this is the last thing on anyone’s mind, weather artist or audience. Even in the indie age, artistic honesty itself has become fashionable, which automatically negates itself. If music weren’t so tied to this broken social acceptance thing, I think the world would be kinder, more peaceful, and (oddly), more socially accepting.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Nothing too crazy happened. Spending a week in a van with your best friends is pretty memorable as it is.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

A curiously charming music website that is surprisingly friendly to any and all musical artists, regardless of how absolutely not punk they are.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

That’s like choosing your favorite child.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

If I went on vacation, it would be Iceland.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Oh jeez, this is my favorite question. The soundtrack to the animated movie of Raymond Brigg’s “The Snowman”. Stewart Copeland’s soundtrack to the Long Ago and Far Away Noah’s Ark episode, narrated by James Earl Jones. Totally explains my affinity for Steve Reich, Britpop and odd time signatures. Piano music in general.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

The power to give other people super powers.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Sub sandwiches.

17. What is something that most fans don’t know about you?

If I had fans, they probably wouldn’t know much of anything about me.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it’s a place where your band could flourish?

I used to work at a radio station, so I can’t really say anything too mean. It seems to be a dying medium, but I do appreciate it for what it is. The people who work in radio are wonderful. I don’t think my music could flourish well on it, though.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Drink coffee, read, write, and spend time with family and close friends. I’m pretty boring. Really though, I spend most of my spare time working on music…

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I have a highly developed taste palette. It’s a high and lonely calling. Just kidding. But seriously.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version