AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Search the City - A Fire So Big the Heavens Can See It Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 3
Production 7.5
Creativity 4.25
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 59%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.39
Lyrics 6.45
Production 7.48
Creativity 6.31
Lasting Value 6.36
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Average: 69%
Inside AP.net

Search the City - A Fire So Big the Heavens Can See It

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (03/31/08)
Search The CityA Fire So Big The Heavens Can See It
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: April 1, 2008 (No joke!)

Search The City sound like a Tooth & Nail band. The fast, simple and highly melodic pop-punk won’t bog the listener down with tedious emotional attachment or, really, anything at all. Enjoy your time with this band, and rest assured it will be fun, but don’t count on Search The City to be there when you need music the most.

On a related note, I can’t wait for Anberlin’s new record to drop.

While engulfed in this world of crunching guitars and shiny vocal melodies, there is nary a care in the world. The problem, however, comes when you leave the Sanctuary of the Headphones and sing a chorus to yourself while going about your day. (“You’re the gun / And I can be your bullet to bite down on / Take your best shot / Cause you only get one.”) What did I just say? Is that hot girl throwing up before eating? Still, as much as I hate Josh Frost’s attempt at metaphorical writing (let’s face it, he’s no me), I can’t knock his silky smooth, always-in-tune delivery. He simply nails the words and harmonies of “The Rescue” into my skull. This song, from its verse slowdowns to its tambourine-filled chorus, could very well be the next MTV-emo hit. Sorry Boys Like Girls, but I’m sure you knew it wouldn’t last. (To their credit, though, BLG at least recognized the utility of a ballad.)

Yeah, you figured it out; I’m too sophisticated for this stuff to have any lasting effect. Like…way too sophisticated. Nevertheless, Search The City has a fragile place in my music library. I could pick any song at random and get the same lighthearted (but still angst-ridden) result - “Bigger Scars Make Better Stories” sounds like “The Rescue,” and “The Rescue” sounds like “Son Of A Gun.” The choruses are constantly pitch-perfect and each song has one of those sugary buildups where everything cuts out for a few tense moments. Then, at the last possible instant, Mr. Frost rushes back in to get us headbanging so hard that our fashionable headbands fly right off.

When it comes to music like this, there has to be one, just one, defining factor. Anberlin has great lyrics, Spitalfield used to get oh so bass groovy, Boys Like Girls has a funny looking drummer, etc. Search The City has none of these things, save for the (very) rare, high-flying guitar solo (“Talk Is Cheap And I’ve Got Expensive Taste”). But really, I just want to know I’m listening to something of substance. Sadly, this is not the case with A Fire So Big The Heavens Can See It.

Recommended If You Like: Anberlin, Just Surrender, Boys Like Girls, Spitalfield, Fall Out Boy, The Starting Line, Iron and Wine (Kidding!), Switchfoot, Dropout Year, American Diary, Number One Gun

I will write peace on your wings.www.myspace.com/searchthecity

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 178
06:24 PM on 03/31/08
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Anberlin's great.
06:34 PM on 03/31/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

ha, probably the best response this review will get.
08:40 PM on 03/31/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Adelaide, Stop Doing Bad Things.
10:11 PM on 03/31/08
alexisforever
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these boys have been the hardest working band out of detroit, and the most underrated.
as proved here.
dont count them out just yet.
10:41 PM on 03/31/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
these boys have been the hardest working band out of detroit, and the most underrated.
as proved here.
dont count them out just yet.

I don't think they are very underrated. Signed by T&N, a song that could be a serious hit ("The Rescue"), but everything just comes off very trite and overdone. Popularity will not be hard to come by for these guys, though.
11:53 PM on 03/31/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Hey everyone!

If you read this review and thought, "hey, that guy isn't as dumb as I previously thought. He might know what he's talking about," then please add me as a friend. That way you will find a notification on your UserCP letting you know when I post another one of these zany things.

If you hated the review, please move along.

-BLAKE

p.s., you can add me as a friend just by clicking on my name over there to the left. Then find the button that says, conveniently, "Friend." I'll get a PM and approve you straightaway!
08:27 AM on 04/01/08
micahistheballs
AP's Resident Theology Student
User Info.
Yeah, I was intrigued, but not so much anymore.
09:12 AM on 04/01/08
Awesome_Danny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
stop comparing/saying every band sounds like FOB
09:18 AM on 04/01/08
PoisonInMyVeins
The government
User Info.
Iron and Wine (Kidding!)

that made me lol
09:19 AM on 04/01/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
stop comparing/saying every band sounds like FOB

If you're trying to tell me people that like FOB won't like Search The City, well I'd call you misinformed!
09:25 AM on 04/01/08
IamTheINDUSTRY
glory glory
User Info.
Hey everyone!

If you read this review and thought, "hey, that guy isn't as dumb as I previously thought. He might know what he's talking about," then please add me as a friend. That way you will find a notification on your UserCP letting you know when I post another one of these zany things.

If you hated the review, please move along.

-BLAKE

p.s., you can add me as a friend just by clicking on my name over there to the left. Then find the button that says, conveniently, "Friend." I'll get a PM and approve you straightaway!

i dont feel like arguing, but this review was pretty wrong, and the ratings you gave it (especially a 3 for lyrics) are laughable. this is a worthy debut. its much better than anberlin's blueprints for the black market.
09:28 AM on 04/01/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Cute explanation point on the link from the main page.
09:31 AM on 04/01/08
Chico
User Info.
I like the album, but your review is totally correct. I guess I'm not too sophisticated. Also for the record Blake, I had you as a friend way before you on the staff.
09:36 AM on 04/01/08
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
but don’t count on Search The City to be there when you need music the most.

Probably the best description I've ever read of this type of music (not the band in general, but just music that's fun for the time being, but doesn't stay around for the long run).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums