AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Picture Perfect - Face The Facts Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 6.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 65%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Picture Perfect - Face The Facts

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (03/18/13)
Picture PerfectFace The Facts
Release Date: July 1, 2012
Record Label: Unsigned

Pop-punk is pretty much a fad at this point. It’s just all a gimmick. Either bands try way too hard to be the Wonder Years and play the “I’m just an ordinary guy who writes songs” card, or they focus way too much on being a fun pop-punk band and not enough on the quality of their music.

To be honest, I’m not sure where to place New Jersey pop-punk band Picture Perfect. On one hand, they write and record all their music in their singer’s basement and adamantly refuse to ever sign to a label. On the other hand, I’m fourteen years old- I am in high school, and don’t enjoy it- but would never boast about penning lyrics like, “I’m not dumb/ I just don’t care/ I’m failing class/ I’m well aware/ we live just once/ why waste it here?/ I’m giving up/ on this school year."

The above quote comes from the second track on Picture Perfect’s debut full-length record, Face The Facts. The opening track, Face The Facts, begins sounding like a Christmas song. Then the vocals come in. Throughout this album, they’re pretty hit or miss. When they hit, he sounds like a younger (albeit slightly whiner) Kenny Vasoli. When they miss, he just simply sounds whiny, like on “Lindsay.” But for the majority of the band’s single, “When the Coast is Clear,” it’s the former, and he sounds good. Quite good. Unfortunately, again, it’s difficult to appreciate someone’s vocals when they’re singing lines such as, “If it was up to me/ I’d rewrite school,” or, “I never thought I’d look down on anyone/ but God I love the view.”

On the upside, everybody else in the band seems to know what they’re doing. The intro to “Look at You Now” could’ve been taken straight from Take This to Your Grave and the start of “It’s Funny How the Tables Turn” reminds me of something the Swellers would write. “Progress” sounds exactly like another song, the name or performer of which I cannot recall a present. The song “Nightlights” is good as well, especially for being a quieter song. However, it’s four minutes long and the full band doesn’t kick in until 3:14, so it drags slightly.

I’m going to make an assumption, again passed on the album’s rather disappointing lyrical content, that the members of this band are in high school, or just recently graduated. With that said, Face The Facts is not an awful album. But in all frankness, it’s nothing you haven’t heard before.

Recommended If You LikePop-punk, Man Overboard, Major league, I call Fives, Steiner Street, The Story So Far

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:12 PM on 05/11/13
soloinsoho
tater
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I found some pretty good lyrics in songs on this album, and damn good song writing. I would say it is a unique album these days. Nobody is doing full lengths. Nobody has this much variety. Picture Perfect kills it with the songs Serenity, Lindsey and Empty Hands.

The only down side is I think they over compressed the drums and tried to make the recording too loud so it hurts the sound quality some.

I disagree about the line "I never thought I’d look down on anyone/ but God I love the view.” I think is a great line.

I do admit I a fan of the band. I have seen them live and they kill it every show. The new EP "No Room for Love" is killer and shows the progression in their recording is more like the pop punk you might like.

They still have more variety than most any other band in their songs. Plus the Bottom line is that the lead singer you talk about being winey is the one writing, recording and playing almost all the parts on all of the bands recordings. That kid can play and write some good stuff. Their first ep at 16, face the facts at 17 No room for love at 18. Wonder what they will sound Like at 19.
04:28 PM on 05/19/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I found some pretty good lyrics in songs on this album, and damn good song writing. I would say it is a unique album these days. Nobody is doing full lengths. Nobody has this much variety. Picture Perfect kills it with the songs Serenity, Lindsey and Empty Hands.

The only down side is I think they over compressed the drums and tried to make the recording too loud so it hurts the sound quality some.

I disagree about the line "I never thought I’d look down on anyone/ but God I love the view.” I think is a great line.

I do admit I a fan of the band. I have seen them live and they kill it every show. The new EP "No Room for Love" is killer and shows the progression in their recording is more like the pop punk you might like.

They still have more variety than most any other band in their songs. Plus the Bottom line is that the lead singer you talk about being winey is the one writing, recording and playing almost all the parts on all of the bands recordings. That kid can play and write some good stuff. Their first ep at 16, face the facts at 17 No room for love at 18. Wonder what they will sound Like at 19.
Which band member are you related to?
06:10 AM on 07/14/13
soloinsoho
tater
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Which band member are you related to?
Nope I am just an old punk from Jersey. Used to play a lot at a place called the Dirt Club. Been following Pete Z since he was in a YouTube contest and won at 15. I figured he would be going somewhere soon. The kid keeps producing a lot of quality material.

He has the same type of talent that you have for writing.
07:06 AM on 07/14/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Nope I am just an old punk from Jersey. Used to play a lot at a place called the Dirt Club. Been following Pete Z since he was in a YouTube contest and won at 15. I figured he would be going somewhere soon. The kid keeps producing a lot of quality material.

He has the same type of talent that you have for writing.

Well alright; hey, like you said, these kids are young. They've got time.

Okay.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums