Username
Password

Comments: Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 147 of 147
12:30 PM on 03/22/13
JayDanielHammer
then-now-maggle.tumblr.com
User Info.
Marketing? So dismissive simply because others think differently than you ...

I like them so I'm confused by your reply.
12:43 PM on 03/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I like them so I'm confused by your reply.
I guess I don't get the marketing comment in general ... heh.
12:44 PM on 03/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Is it the one from the trailer? I'm excited to hear that song, but who am I kidding. Any song will do
It's also not that one ... the song clip in the trailer comes from the first song on the album.
12:46 PM on 03/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
If this album tops Suburbia, holy shit.
IMO: It's a better album.
07:52 PM on 03/22/13
FTank
Blank
User Info.
IMO: It's a better album.
Damn, between that and the clip in the trailer, I'm stoked for this.
07:47 AM on 03/23/13
btown4life
User Info.
I'm only 21, but I'm starting to feel pretty old, by show years, haha. I find myself hanging towards the back (with earplugs) for bands I've seen a lot like TWY. Its a different experience, but its still fun and cool. I used to think a show wasn't worth it unless I was up front sweating my balls out screaming every word, but, that's a young mans game, and I'm about worn out.

Don't let age keep anyone from going to shows. If you like the music, do what you want, don't worry about others.

Seeing these guys tomorrow, I'm really excited, 4 of my favorite bands right now.

I'm 31 and felt super old at my last TWY show a few weeks ago. I hung in the back, forgot my earplugs, and still had an awesome time singing along. The people around us were all different ages and everyone was super into it. After the show, when the lights came on and I could see how young some of these people were, I didn't care because that show and those songs made me feel things. Really really excited for the new record.
11:54 AM on 03/25/13
failedwordsmith
User Info.
I'm 31 and felt super old at my last TWY show a few weeks ago. I hung in the back, forgot my earplugs, and still had an awesome time singing along. The people around us were all different ages and everyone was super into it. After the show, when the lights came on and I could see how young some of these people were, I didn't care because that show and those songs made me feel things. Really really excited for the new record.

My wife and I are 27, but we were living in South Philly when the Wonder Years were coming up, and caught them a few times.

Right when Suburbia came out, we literally moved all our shit into my Mom's basement for a few temporary months before we bought a house.

The last time we saw them was the GK tour in NYC. We felt so old. Watched IIOI, drank a few expensive beers for the rest of the openers and then went up for TWY. We actually sat in the 'bleachers' with all the parents of kids going ape shit on the floor. These kids were passionately singing along about being the odd man out at college, or struggling to identify post-school in the city, or moving home after being away. I wondered how many kids truly experienced any of those things. When I was that age, I was listening to album's like Through Being Cool, and Say It Like You Mean It - pop punk records that were about (for the most part) being young, and feeling all those young emotions. The Wonder Years records are imo almost about being older, conflicted, yet hopeful.

When Upsides came out, we were living in the city on low incomes, literally eating soft pretzels after midnight a block from our houses. When Suburbia came out, we were moving back to the PA suburbs that I grew up in. The lyrics resonate with me, and always have. I don't know HOW the Wonder Years are managing to resonate so strongly with the youth of America, but god bless them. It's really awesome to see these kids at shows being so passionate towards TWY, in the way we were towards Saves the Day, and Starting Line, but finding their own personal truth in lyrics that are much more weathered by a decade of life experience post-high school. Truly a dynamic band. I can't wait for this next release.
02:40 PM on 03/25/13
The_Effort
User Info.
My wife and I are 27, but we were living in South Philly when the Wonder Years were coming up, and caught them a few times.

Right when Suburbia came out, we literally moved all our shit into my Mom's basement for a few temporary months before we bought a house.

The last time we saw them was the GK tour in NYC. We felt so old. Watched IIOI, drank a few expensive beers for the rest of the openers and then went up for TWY. We actually sat in the 'bleachers' with all the parents of kids going ape shit on the floor. These kids were passionately singing along about being the odd man out at college, or struggling to identify post-school in the city, or moving home after being away. I wondered how many kids truly experienced any of those things. When I was that age, I was listening to album's like Through Being Cool, and Say It Like You Mean It - pop punk records that were about (for the most part) being young, and feeling all those young emotions. The Wonder Years records are imo almost about being older, conflicted, yet hopeful.

When Upsides came out, we were living in the city on low incomes, literally eating soft pretzels after midnight a block from our houses. When Suburbia came out, we were moving back to the PA suburbs that I grew up in. The lyrics resonate with me, and always have. I don't know HOW the Wonder Years are managing to resonate so strongly with the youth of America, but god bless them. It's really awesome to see these kids at shows being so passionate towards TWY, in the way we were towards Saves the Day, and Starting Line, but finding their own personal truth in lyrics that are much more weathered by a decade of life experience post-high school. Truly a dynamic band. I can't wait for this next release.

I'm only 21 and I can honestly say I've personally experienced a lot of the emotions they talk about in their songs. I went to college for 2 semesters after high school and struggled to find my place, got screwed with by crappy administration, and now I'm not going any longer. I moved out with my girlfriend and after two years had to move back into my moms house when we seperated (woke up older carrying 2 years and all that jazz). I've done the whole broke touring band thing stealing from gas stations and staying at strangers homes in other states and what not-- in fact I'm still doing that as often as possible. Hell I've seen a lot of the musicians I grew up playing with and hanging out with join bar bands for the money-- I've even played bar gigs as a fill-in to make some extra money. Granted I know what you mean about a lot of their younger fans probably not having experienced a lot of the stuff they mention in their songs, but I think more probably do connect with it than you might realize despite them being younger.
03:19 PM on 03/25/13
btown4life
User Info.

what a perfectly worded response. i totally agree!
08:36 PM on 03/25/13
failedwordsmith
User Info.
I'm only 21 and I can honestly say I've personally experienced a lot of the emotions they talk about in their songs. I went to college for 2 semesters after high school and struggled to find my place, got screwed with by crappy administration, and now I'm not going any longer. I moved out with my girlfriend and after two years had to move back into my moms house when we seperated (woke up older carrying 2 years and all that jazz). I've done the whole broke touring band thing stealing from gas stations and staying at strangers homes in other states and what not-- in fact I'm still doing that as often as possible. Hell I've seen a lot of the musicians I grew up playing with and hanging out with join bar bands for the money-- I've even played bar gigs as a fill-in to make some extra money. Granted I know what you mean about a lot of their younger fans probably not having experienced a lot of the stuff they mention in their songs, but I think more probably do connect with it than you might realize despite them being younger.
Oh yeah - No doubt - my observation was really targeted towards kids that were blatantly 15 and had to get driven to the show by parents we were sitting next to.

I'd say their experiences lyrically are common for many people in our generation, current 20-30 yr olds. I also realize that you don't need to directly experience lyrics to connect with the music. Many of my favorite albums depict experience I've yet to even come close to realizing in my own life...it was just really interesting/captivating to see so many 'kids' singing passionately about things that they are years away from feeling first-hand.

I think it's a testament to their ability to infuse the music with true and honest emotion. It's great - just an interesting thing to see.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos