Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Older Songs as New Singles--Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (04/02/08)
"Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's was one of the most played songs of the past year, hitting number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 and scoring multiple Grammy nods. What most of the mainstream crowd didn't realize was that this was the second time the song was pushed as a single, as it was featured as a bonus track on their 2007 Every Second Counts and 2005's All That We Needed. Gym Class Heroes found similar success with a twice-released single in "Cupid's Chokehold".

What songs from an older album do you think would make good retrospective singles in today's music climate, similar to the Plain White T's formula?

On another note, who wouldn't want to go back to Acceptance's Phantoms and release "Take Cover" today? Why not Name Taken's "Cover Up"? Both of these songs have potential to be hits in today's climate (though both bands are broken up). If the climate is right for these songs to fit in the mainstream, why not revisit an album that has passed its time of promotion to release songs that could be commercial hits? Would you accept a band that has broken up having a posthumous single?

Do you believe that a practice like this would be a viable way for record labels to break artists at a later date after an initial push failed? What about taking an established artist like Cartel releasing "The City Never Sleeps" off the Ransom EP in between albums?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 230
09:31 PM on 04/02/08
thechrisformat
let's tune out
User Info.
Good discussion question. I can't think of an answer yet though.
09:32 PM on 04/02/08
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
maybe some TSL???

"Bedroom Talk" Anyone?????
09:35 PM on 04/02/08
gibsonman246
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think in these cases, its not extra push its just luck. in the case of PWT and GCH, those were two singles that had a decent amount of people listening to it on their first release. they then got regular radio time on alt rock stations, and the right mainstream industry heads must have heard them
09:35 PM on 04/02/08
cubz84
Serial Kisser
User Info.
"City Lights" by Over It should have been put on an album. Such a great, great song.

Maybe they'd still be around today.... :(
09:36 PM on 04/02/08
absolutecrunk
wears leggings as pants
User Info.
anything by The Cars. Kids <3 synth
09:38 PM on 04/02/08
phuckshietass
fingerbang u into my life
User Info.
I always thought spill canvas should have done this with All Hail The Heartbreaker. From the moment i heard that song I knew it had hit potential.
09:39 PM on 04/02/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I always thought Cartel's "Luckie St." would blow up.
09:40 PM on 04/02/08
pshh
stop trying so hard
User Info.
maybe some TSL???

"Bedroom Talk" Anyone?????

seconded, that video was hawtt shiettt
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Geffen should do the world a favor and release "One Last Time" or "Become What You Hate" by Midtown.

I think that it would be great and I would support it if labels gave old albums a second shot. I believe that The Juliana Theory's Emotion Is Dead would destroy if it were released today. First single "Into the Dark", second single "To the Tune of 5,000 Screaming Children", third single "We're at the Top of the World".

As for a band in between albums, I already used Cartel as an example in the original post, but Mae's "Anything" would be a solid decision.
carnotaurhunter
User Info.
blink-182: "21 Days," "A New Hope," "Please Take Me Home," "Violence."

Actually, that's a really, really good idea. I hope more bands look back on their past albums or whatever and release new singles. That'd be great! After all, the past is just as important as the present or future. Or should I say "the past is only the future with the lights on"?
09:41 PM on 04/02/08
pshh
stop trying so hard
User Info.
i thought say anything's "chia" would be an amazing single
09:42 PM on 04/02/08
Impreza WRX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"City Lights" by Over It should have been put on an album. Such a great, great song.

Maybe they'd still be around today.... :(

I wouldn't worry about them... Runner Runner is going to be fantastic.

As far as the topic... I use to play All That We Needed for my friends that are more into mainstream back in 2005. None of them cared about it then, but when it started being played on the radio it was such a huge deal. Same thing happened with Gym Class Heroes. I've come to the conclusion that the mainstream will never think for themselves just eat whatever is fed to them on the radio. Until it's on top 40 radio they simply won't give it a chance.
09:42 PM on 04/02/08
thechrisformat
let's tune out
User Info.
I think The Format's "The First Single" could've gotten them bigger than they were.
09:43 PM on 04/02/08
Wildflower61388
Denice
User Info.
i think releasing an old song is fine just as long as its the original recording.. the worst is when a band re records the same song and mess it up.. its just not the same for me and i hate it sounding different from the original
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests