AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Entertainment News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Comedy Round-Up (3/23/13)

Posted by - 07:18 AM on 03/23/13
Head to the replies to discuss this week in comedy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
07:18 AM on 03/23/13
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Comedy Round-UpContributors: Cody Nelson, deadkidsean, deanster321, ImTheSheriff, itsmesean0630, PepsiOne, phaynes1 and Star Slight
Stand-Up

1. Michael Che is currently writing material for an hour-long special.

2. Kristen Schaal's (Flight of the Conchords, 30 Rock) one-hour special to premiere April 1st on Comedy Central.

3. Steve Rannazzisi (The League) will be shooting a one-hour Comedy Central special in New Orleans on April 11th. Free tickets are available.

4. Christopher Titus will self-release his new special The Voice In My Head for 9 dollars through his website on April 1st.

5. Michael Cera and David Cross have a conversation, ending with an announcement of a Cross/Bob Odenkirk summer stand-up tour.

6. The lineup for this year’s Latitude Festival has been announced, and it includes Dylan Moran, Tim Key, Daniel Kitson and Mark Watson among many others.

7. Norm MacDonald will be getting his own podcast on the Video Podcast Network starting next Monday at 6pm PST.

TV/Film

1. I've made a huge mistake...by posting a few leaked Arrested Development script screenshots that entice you to spoil yourself.

2. Sarah Silverman will 'most likely' play a prostitute in the upcoming Seth MacFarlane western.

3. Burning Love's 3rd season, "Burning Down the House," will have a 3-part premiere on April 12th, with daily episodes to begin on the 15th.

4. Marc Maron will screen the premiere of his new IFC series a week early at the Moontower Comedy Festival.

5. The Simpsons beat out Cheers for the title of Best sitcom of the past 30 years in the finals of Vulture's Sitcom Smackdown. Thoughts?

6. From the looks of this picture, Steve Agee, Kumail Nanjiani and Steve Little have joined the new Craig Robinson pilot.

7. In quite the unexpected move, Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge, Tropic Thunder) has landed the lead in ABC's law drama pilot Doubt.

8. Further justifying streaming services dabbling in original programming, Jon Daly (Kroll Show) will topline Amazon's pilot 'Betas.'

9. Saw it coming: Fallon to host the Tonight Show come 2014. Blindsided by it: The Tonight Show to move back to New York!

10. Coming out in defense of Tina Fey, Seth Meyers agrees that Saturday Night Live should end with the retirement of Lorne Michaels.

11. Speaking of, Seth Meyers is the favorite to take over Jimmy Fallon's Late Night gig. Oh......hello, John Mulaney at the Weekend Update desk.

12. Peter Serafinowicz (Shaun of the Dead, NTSF:SD:SUV::) has filmed an appearance in the upcoming Muppets sequel.

13. David Mitchell (Peep Show, Mitchell & Webb) is hosting Channel 4’s upcoming interactive panel show, Was It Something I Said?

14. Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) will be starring in Mr. Sloane, a new Sky Atlantic series created by Robert B. Weide.

15. Rory Scovel has been cast in the new Bill Lawrence (Scrubs)-penned pilot 'Ground Floor.'

15. Which Paul Rudd is older?

Next Week's Late-Night Guests
Chelsea Lately: Ben Gleib & Jen Kirkman (M); Bobby Lee, Morgan Murphy & Kurt Braunohler (F)
Conan: Emily Heller (T); Seth Green (W); Ricky Gervais (Th)
Fallon: Retta (M); Chris Hardwick (T)
Ferguson: Sarah Chalke (T); Don Rickles (W)
Kimmel: Lily Tomlin (W)
Leno: Key & Peele (M)

Feature Articles

1. Splitsider has compiled an incredibly comprehensive guide to the Chicago comedy scene.
2. The AV Club put together a great list of stand-up comics having (mostly) unpleasant encounters with celebrities ("I mean, WEIRD!").
3. Why Comedians Don't Give A Fuck If You're Offended.
4. Comedian Chris Addison (The Thick of It, Mock the Week) has put together a list of his 10 favorite comedians.

The Week In Videos

1. Tim & Eric Decide To “Go Pro.”
2. Join Paul F. Tompkins and Russell Peters for some tequila!
3. Burning Love - Eps. 13 and 14
4. Mini-documentary on Patton Oswalt and life on the road.
5. Learn about cat boobs and Reggie Watts in the new psychic reading webseries 'The Future.'
6. Get trapped in a closet with Joanna Newsom.
7. Looking to break into Hollywood? Try taking some classes at Ryan Gosling's Acting Range.

The Week In Podcasts

The Nerdist #334 - Macklemore
Comedy Bang! Bang! #208 - Steven Yeun (Walking Dead)
By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin #6 - Will Ferrell
How Did This Get Made? #58 - In the Name of the King with Seth Morris
You Made It Weird #135 - Dane Cook
The Champs #62 - Chris Rock

The Tweet In Weeks

Quote:
@JoshMolina - There are some great deals to be had at Whole Foods. This week only you can finance an avocado with no money down.
@robhuebel - March Madness was also the Medieval season when fathers gorged on their weakest sons' internal organs.
‏@lanyardtwerk - Girl, you must be a digital scale, cuz I just tapped that firmly and quickly, then felt very ashamed.
@eliyuden - "I love skylines, tetanus, and fingerbanging" - inventor of the Ferris Wheel
@seanoconnz - Hey My Chemical Romance fans just remember, you're in your twenties now... You weren't supposed to like them anyway.
@lazerdoov - Dr. says I have an enlarged heart. Thanks doc, I already know I'm super nice, just trying to find out why I can't breathe when I eat chips.
@shelbyfero - "'You're killing me smalls!' he gasped as my hands closed around his neck. I felt the life leave Ham. My bloodlust was awoken."
@scullymike - "I'll get you, you little liars! You can't stay pretty forever!" - what I imagine the last line of every ep of "Pretty Little Liars" is.
@samgrittner - "Hey Bone Condenser, anyway you could cover for me this Sunday Sunday Sunday?" - Monster Truck shift swap
@barvonblaq - What if like one day you like got done with your Netflix queue? Like phew, you know? Like whoa.

Weekly Recommendation
Chip Chantry is a comic based out of Philadelphia who recently released his first album Across From The Adonis. With his dark brand of observational humor and upbeat delivery, Chantry should be a big hit with fans of comedians such as Paul F. Tompkins, Todd Glass and Gary Gulman.

----------
Sources: laughspin.com, twitter.com, earwolf.com, nerdist.com, splitsider.com, youtube.com, burninglove.com, interbridge.com, huffingtonpost.com, variety.com, deadline.com, instagram.com, vulture.com, nytimes.com, austintheatre.org, funnyordie.com, nypost.com, timeout.com, skyatlantic.com, chortle.co.uk, latitudefestival.com
----------
As always, if you have any news to submit or just want to know more about the world of comedy, PM me or go to the Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread. We're knowledgable, friendly, and the best.
07:21 AM on 03/23/13
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
no my chem break up?
08:06 AM on 03/23/13
Rodeo
User Info.
This is awesome on the Comedy Round-Up. Great job and super excited for more!
08:10 AM on 03/23/13
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
User Info.
Is this weekly feature new? If so, I hope it keeps up.
08:15 AM on 03/23/13
ari telescope
kitties
User Info.
This is so awesome now that it's a thing. Mad support and thanks!
08:21 AM on 03/23/13
Star Slight
User Info.
-Did not know Steve Rannazzisi did standup. Is he any good?
-Need to see Cross/Odenkirk
-Simpsons is the best comedy of the past 30 years and the only competition should be Seinfeld
08:22 AM on 03/23/13
brandon_260
User Info.
Is this Schaal's first special? I've never heard any of her standup.
08:34 AM on 03/23/13
Amongster
Again And Again
User Info.
Love that the Comedy Round-Up is a thing.

Will be listening to the Norm McDonald podcast.
08:40 AM on 03/23/13
spaghettti
@asrvtnik
User Info.
This is so awesome
09:34 AM on 03/23/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Those Arrested Development script screenshots make me so happy. :)
09:36 AM on 03/23/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
-Did not know Steve Rannazzisi did standup. Is he any good?
-Need to see Cross/Odenkirk
-Simpsons is the best comedy of the past 30 years and the only competition should be Seinfeld
Yeah he's pretty decent. There aren't too many clips up online so I wonder if this is the first thing he's had taped.
09:42 AM on 03/23/13
alexmahoney
@alexmahoney
User Info.
Comedy Round-Up? Fantastic, hope this is a regular thing!
10:14 AM on 03/23/13
itsmesean0630
_________________________ __________
User Info.
Great round up, Cody. Looking forward to this each week.
10:15 AM on 03/23/13
itsmesean0630
_________________________ __________
User Info.
And Norm MacDonald having his own podcast may be the greatest thing ever.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos