AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
These Colors - Chaxiraxi Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 6.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

These Colors - Chaxiraxi

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (03/23/13)
These Colors- Chaxiraxi EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 26, 2012

According to These Colors’ Facebook page, “Colors make up everything we see,” and they want music to make up everything we hear. The Las Vegas, Nevada, band’s first release, the Chariraxi EP, is certainly colorful. The band has a very interesting sound. I suppose it could best be described as progressive rock?

The opening track “Sonny Koufax” demonstrates this pretty well. Between shouty vocals and unusual riffs the track is pretty bizarre. The vocals end nearly 3 in and then the song ends with a weird electronic outro, somewhat reminiscent of Refused’s “New Noise.” “Wax Poetic” is a pretty catchy track, beginning slowly then getting much faster halfway through, breaking into a chorus of “Smooth like thoughts/ menacing patterns/ and it’s all done in waves” the song gets slow again before getting louder and faster as vocalist Ivan Repko sings in Spanish. “Chantico” opens with a Domestica-era Cursive sounding intro, which proves to be the best part of the song. This song also exemplifies the band’s fondness for strange sounds and ideas, as the music is different during each verse and there is some very eerie whispering after each chorus. “De-oriented” closes the album, which is good because it is the best song here. It features very technical instrumentation during its muffled chorus. This song also features sudden crescendos and decrescendos, a staple of the EP’s sound. The last thirty seconds of this song sum up the rest of the album fairly well.

The worst problem with this album would be the vocals. I do not hold vocals against bands (I mean, Thursday is my favorite band), and Repko is not a bad vocalist. Just odd. He has a slightly higher voice, and little control over his vocals, slipping from crooning to shouting fairly often on this album.

These Colors’ EP is, in a word, different. It is weird, it is experimental, it is dynamic. That is all I can really think to say about it.

Recommended If You LikeThe Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, The Receiving End of Sirens

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
10:59 AM on 04/03/13
matmanok
matmanok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really enjoyed this. good pointers
06:53 PM on 04/03/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
really enjoyed this. good pointers