Username
Password

09:36 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
I figured we could start a new thread for each book so we can keep better tabs on it. Who has began reading it? Let's come up with some sort of schedule so we can all keep up with one another.

09:44 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
subbbbb.
10:12 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
Have you started reading yet?
10:17 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Not yet. Barring unforeseen circumstances I'll have begun by the end of this week, but I'm a quick reader so I wouldn't wait on me if everyone else is ready.
10:20 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
I just picked it up tonight and I'm loving it. Plotwise, nothing crazy happening, and yet I'm enthralled.
11:55 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Wish I had time for this, I'm currently knee deep in three books for school plus one for myself. Maybe next book.
11:58 PM on 03/24/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
read this (and my ishmael, story of b, beyond civilization) quite awhile back. I rec them all, but probably like story of b or beyond civilization best.
06:15 AM on 03/25/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
I'm over halfway through it. I like it so far. I think its a great introductory to this type of cultural criticism. It certainly says some controversial things. For example, it seems to suggest that we should let people starve from overpopulation rather than attempt to increase the food supply.
02:55 PM on 03/25/13 
User Info.
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
Male - 18 Years Old
Subbin.
11:18 AM on 03/27/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
Been wanting to re-read this. Gotta get it back from a libertarian friend who will probably hate it though.

I'm over halfway through it. I like it so far. I think its a great introductory to this type of cultural criticism. It certainly says some controversial things. For example, it seems to suggest that we should let people starve from overpopulation rather than attempt to increase the food supply.
Quinn has made the point that the way we control our food supply, propagating only the species we like, genetically modifying them, and by extension the ecosystems around the planet, is detrimental not only to our environment but our long term survival.
09:25 PM on 03/27/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
Been wanting to re-read this. Gotta get it back from a libertarian friend who will probably hate it though.

Quinn has made the point that the way we control our food supply, propagating only the species we like, genetically modifying them, and by extension the ecosystems around the planet, is detrimental not only to our environment but our long term survival.

I think that's true, but more to the point of this book is simply that on his theory the more you increase food supply the more you encourage population growth. When population growth outgrows food supply in one section you encourage food supply. When increased food supply becomes the answer, he argues, population continues to increase without much consequence, and ultimately causes a starvation/overpopulation problem.

Also, your avatar is great.
11:34 PM on 03/27/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
I think that's true, but more to the point of this book is simply that on his theory the more you increase food supply the more you encourage population growth. When population growth outgrows food supply in one section you encourage food supply. When increased food supply becomes the answer, he argues, population continues to increase without much consequence, and ultimately causes a starvation/overpopulation problem.

Also, your avatar is great.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Definitely gotta pick my copy up tomorrow, miss this stuff.

Reminds me of a quote:
"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist" - Kenneth Boulding
I'm sure Quinn would agree with the sentiment

Thanks!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests