Password

Album Review
Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch Album Cover

Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch

Reviewed by
Deniro FarrarThe Patriarch
Release Date: March 11, 2013
Record Label: Self-Released
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It hasn't been long since the last time we heard from North Carolina native Deniro Farrar, though its probably safe to assume a good majority of people reading this don't even know who he is. It's understandable, even I hadn't heard about the 25 year old rapper until I discovered producer Ryan Hemsworth late last year and tracked down everything he had worked on. It was just last October when Farrar and Oakland rapper Shady Blaze put out Kill Or Be Killed, a mixtape that showed massive promise from not only the two rappers but from the producers that worked on the project as well. Just 5 months later, Farrar has given us a solo project in The Patriarch, a highly personal mixtape that paints a clear picture of who Deniro Farrar is: a gangsta rapper that is very much a product of the digital age and cloud rap.

Farrar's main connection to the realm of cloud rap is in his production. Guys like Ryan Hemsworth and the production duo Friendzone have worked with a number of artists in the genre, such as Main Attrakionz and A$AP Rocky. Other producers on the album like BK Beats and Keyboard Kid are lesser known, but like Hemsworth and Friedzone, have contributed not only to Farrar's projects, but also to a number of projects by other rappers that came up through blog recognition.

The significance of the production choices lies within the relationship between the music behind Deniro and what he's rapping about. Farrar is from the streets and is typically pretty violent. As such, his rhymes paint a picture of what the street life is like for him, a picture that at times isn't all that pleasant to look at. What sets him apart from most rappers dealing with this subject matter, however, is a level of self-awareness that is apparent not only through his words (“Never worry 'bout my future even though I need to be”), but also through his presentation and beat choice. On standout “Big Tookie,” he unmercifully asks “What's murder to a n***a doin' homicide?” but the downtempo, somber beat provided by Ryan Hemsworth keeps the sentiment from feeling like a glorification of violence. Instead, it comes across as the life that Farrar actually lives and nothing more. This plays to the strength of the mixtape as a whole, as Farrar is very upfront about who he is and rarely paints himself in too positive of a light.

Despite all of this, Farrar is able to appear as more than “the streets meets the blogs.” He sounds at home on these beats and has a keen ear for hooks. The Friendzone produced “Back/Forth/Back” leaves the perfect pocket for a confident Deniro to lay down a series of smooth verses that recount a few of his life experiences, all of which are split up by a memorable hook that you'll be singing along with by your second listen. Songs like “Kill Your Idol” feature production that sounds more in line with the subject matter and something that any number of street rappers could sound comfortable on. But Deniro sounds more than comfortable here, and the fact that he is able to work well over a variety of beat styles makes the mixtape surprisingly cohesive.

For all of its aggression, The Patriarch offers quite a bit in the way of introspection. “So Many Days,” “My Life,” and many more of these songs do a lot to make Deniro Farrar come across as a dynamic character. He's a man that feels pain and remorse, and beneath the tough exterior and background, he's still human. The mixtape clocks in at just over 50 minutes and offers 13 tracks along with 2 bonus tracks (featuring production from Flosstradamus and Ryan Hemsworth, so don't pass on these) and gives us the most cohesive and impressive release from the genre so far this year. While that likely won't ring true by the end of the year, The Patriarch leaves us with more than enough reason to return for repeated listens and anticipate whatever is next for the young rapper.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
09:32 AM on 03/25/13
jpepe
User Info.
Honored to have a track on this record. "Feel The Rain" check it out, super proud of the work I've been doing with my man Deniro!
09:38 AM on 03/25/13
mpepe
User Info.
Thanks for the great review on this! I'm Michael Pepe. I produced the mixtape with Deniro and also mixed all of it. I also wrote Feel The Rain with my brother Joey and our accomplice Meghan. Would love to pass more material off to you guys for reviews.
09:44 AM on 03/25/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Honored to have a track on this record. "Feel The Rain" check it out, super proud of the work I've been doing with my man Deniro!

Thanks for the great review on this! I'm Michael Pepe. I produced the mixtape with Deniro and also mixed all of it. I also wrote Feel The Rain with my brother Joey and our accomplice Meghan. Would love to pass more material off to you guys for reviews.

nice work guys, really enjoy the song/the mixtape. feel free to send stuff my way at jake.jenkins@absolutepunk.net for reviewing
09:58 AM on 03/25/13
jpepe
User Info.
Hey Jake! We have some really exciting stuff coming down the pipelines the rest of this year we would LOVE to send your way. I'm going to send you an e-mail now just so you have my contact along with Mike's. Thanks for the great review of the mix tape.
10:18 AM on 03/25/13
dru
i know i got my issues...
User Info.
awesome that this is up on ap.
11:29 AM on 03/25/13
Ryan Dennehy
this review has impeccable grammar wow
11:30 AM on 03/25/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.