Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 42
11:23 AM on 03/25/13
Spencer Control
you'll grow your soul away
User Info.
Haven't liked anything they've done after that guitarist guy left, I think.
11:24 AM on 03/25/13
domotime2
Lee Corvallo's Putting Challenge
User Info.
I thought Underclass Hero was one of their better records but I didn't care for their newest album at all.

correct. I recall how much 'hate' underclass hero got, and it made me VERY confused. Sum 41 comes out with a 'super pop-punk' 'all killer throw back' and people hate it? so many fast jams on that album....

but yeah the new album was, in my opinion, their first real dud.

oh and will sum41 actually tour for once thanks! lol
11:25 AM on 03/25/13
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
It was an album that had the sound I was hoping Sum 41 would go for, but it just lacked anything memorable to me. There were a few decent songs, but it just seemed to be missing some hooks that I enjoy most with Sum 41. I'm okay with "lacking in the pop/punk side," - that's not the issue. I just felt that if you asked me to recall anything off of that album other than the title track and maybe Blood In My Eyes, I'd be stumped - and I've listened to that album at least five times.

Gotcha. That makes sense.
11:34 AM on 03/25/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
correct. I recall how much 'hate' underclass hero got, and it made me VERY confused. Sum 41 comes out with a 'super pop-punk' 'all killer throw back' and people hate it? so many fast jams on that album....

but yeah the new album was, in my opinion, their first real dud.

oh and will sum41 actually tour for once thanks! lol

so much of that album sounds like rip-offs of other bands. Mostly Green Day, the title track should credit American Idiot for inspiration but there's a bridge that sounds like MCR too. I actually didn't hate it, I probably really enjoy like half of it and listen to it every now and then, but at the end of the day it seems to borrow from other bands so much that it can't be anymore than a guilty pleasure for me.
11:37 AM on 03/25/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
More writing involvement from Tom Thacker and an outside producer is needed for this one, in my opinion.
Definitely agree on the latter.
11:38 AM on 03/25/13
domotime2
Lee Corvallo's Putting Challenge
User Info.
so much of that album sounds like rip-offs of other bands. Mostly Green Day, the title track should credit American Idiot for inspiration but there's a bridge that sounds like MCR too. I actually didn't hate it, I probably really enjoy like half of it and listen to it every now and then, but at the end of the day it seems to borrow from other bands so much that it can't be anymore than a guilty pleasure for me.

but it's a sound that I thought most people enjoy? Yeah it sounds like a Blink 182 album made by Sum 41...I don't have a problem with that. They're both similar bands anyways, so for their albums to sound similar isn't that far-fetched.
11:41 AM on 03/25/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
One of the very few pop punkish bands I truly enjoy. I have DTLI?, UH, and Chuck and they're all great. Fuck Green day comparisons, can't stand that overrated band.
11:49 AM on 03/25/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
but it's a sound that I thought most people enjoy? Yeah it sounds like a Blink 182 album made by Sum 41...I don't have a problem with that. They're both similar bands anyways, so for their albums to sound similar isn't that far-fetched.

I think it's just that they started out as a blinkish, NOFX influenced band and they really progressed with DTLI and Chuck so it just feels like a big step back. Especially with the couple politically themed songs on Underclass, and the guitars are just so Green Day. Eh I'm not slamming the album, but losing Dave really hurt em with that one. Aside from a couple songs on SBM that sound really out of place, I like that album alot and it doesn't seem to borrow from anyone else much. But it's closer to the heavier style of Chuck which I love. So really there's kind of two different styles of Sum 41 and I don't think it's weird if someone loves Underclass. I don't think they have a bad record. Just different records.
11:52 AM on 03/25/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
More writing involvement from Tom Thacker and an outside producer is needed for this one, in my opinion.

Exactly. It would be cool if they brought back Greig Nori as a producer, but I'm not sure that will ever happen.
12:00 PM on 03/25/13
1993mic
User Info.
Great! I've really enjoyed their last album. Much better than Underclass Hero imo.
12:12 PM on 03/25/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Exactly. It would be cool if they brought back Greig Nori as a producer, but I'm not sure that will ever happen.

They could def use a producer, I think the couple songs that they added at the end were the ones that felt out of place. It was actually really well-produced and I love how it sounded from that standpoint, but the extra input would've focused it a bit more I think. I'm a guy where if I rip an album onto my music player, it's the whole album or nothing but I'm tempted to cut 2 or 3 songs off SBM lol. Do really like the album though.
12:49 PM on 03/25/13
ghelms88
Back by Popular Demand
User Info.
Great to hear. I'd like them to continue where they left off with Screaming Bloody Murder. Please don't go back to Underclass Hero...
02:53 PM on 03/25/13
FallenEmpyr
User Info.
Oh PLEASE let it be better than Screaming Bloody Murder, disliked that album very much.
03:17 PM on 03/25/13
Tom41
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Been a fan since 2001 and loved everything except Screaming Bloody Murder. The pace was just all over the place. I wish they'd drop the slower songs and just do what they're best at. Agressive shit! More Infected, less SBM please! Oh and a producer would be good!
03:23 PM on 03/25/13
pbueddi
User Info.
Happy about this. Screaming Bloody Murder was a bit of a misstep in my opinion, and I was hoping for a follow up that could redeem them a bit. It was severely delayed which made me worry they were going to have a falling out with their label.

That said, I'm assuming this will be finished by the end of the summer but not get released until a year later because of said delays.
i believe they are no longer on island

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version