AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Say No More - What You Thought You Knew Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.08
Lyrics 9.17
Production 9.08
Creativity 8.67
Lasting Value 9.33
Reviewer Tilt 9.42
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Say No More - What You Thought You Knew

Reviewed by: GlamourKillsUs (04/04/08)
Say No More - What You Thought You Knew
Record Label: Rushmore / Drive Thru Records
Release Date: October 30, 2007

When you are a band in today's music scene, it's hard to stay relevant and creative at the same time. Many bands try to pull off being creative and fall flat on their face, while other bands just do as their predecessors did, and fall into obscurity. In the case of Say No More, and their latest release What You Thought You Knew, the band is able to stay relevant while exuding a natural charisma about themselves that makes for quite the pleasant listen.

The opening track, "Masquerade," has an up-tempo beat with a serene acoustic guitar strumming in the background. It makes for an easy listen and a strong opening track. All of the songs on the album pull off strong hooks and vocal deliveries - they could be compared to Justin Pierre's (Motion City Soundtrack) delivery. A standout track on the disc is "Long Drive Home" which has been tailored for radio rock everywhere. "Long Drive Home" will most likely be the song to break these guys out and have them being emblazoned on hipster's t-shirts everywhere. The quiet addition of synth into the songs also adds texture and makes them even catchier (if that's possible). The song "Tell Me What You're Thinking" is basically Say No More's version of "Hey There Delilah." This song is somewhat more likable than "Hey There Delilah" though because of the quality of the acoustic guitar, and the vocalist shouldn't get on your nerves after the first minute.

Although Say No More are doing what everyone else is doing, they just seem to be doing it better. The musicians know how to play, and they have a vocalist who can actually sing. They have strong lyrics and a good sound. They will be hurt for sounding like everyone else, but they are the kind of band that will still be around in ten years, rather than the more popular band right now, who will disband in a couple months because they don't like the lead singer/s new hoodie.

Say No More sound like a less synthy version of Motion City Soundtrack. With smart vocal delivery and strong musicianship, this band should be breaking out at any minute. What You Thought You Knew is definitely a step in the right direction for this band; hopefully they only get better from here.

Recommend if You LikeMotion City Soundtrack, This Providence, Plain White T's, Between the Trees

myspace.com/saynomore

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
09:12 AM on 04/08/08
elscorchette
current addiction: rock band
User Info.
this band is amazing, so nice to see them getting some love from AP :)
09:19 AM on 04/08/08
JenJen22
User Info.
I love this album! I hate when you buy albums and skip every other song. But with this one I can actually listen to every song more than once in a row. They seem like really great, talented guys. Its nice to see them doing well!
12:28 PM on 04/09/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Wow, a 96% user rating? I have only heard one track, but to me it sounded like typical DTR punk-rock. (Which there is nothing wrong with, but a 96?)
02:22 PM on 04/09/08
Short-Lived
User Info.
Great review. I love this album, but my only gripe about it is that it's too short.
08:08 PM on 04/18/08
elaina
User Info.
such a good cd. i bought it on itunes and it was worth every penny
05:20 PM on 04/20/08
lostfear
Jakesonaplane
User Info.
I love this band. for realz.
07:50 PM on 08/03/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
This album is terribly bland and boring. I can't stand it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums