Username
Password
Legal News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 78.
05:06 AM on 03/27/13
Fourchordwonder
Love was a war worth fighting.
User Info.
How I read it "WAH!!! IT'S MY NAME I HAD IT FIRST!!! MINE MINE MINE!!!!" There were 2 Attack Attacks, there are 2 (if not more) Architects... Your little band will manage
While I agree that in the long run, it probably won't matter if there were two bands called Twin Falls, I think this site/community would be incredibly up in arms if the situation was reversed. If someone (even someone moderately well-known) started a band called Dashboard Confessional, or if Chris Carrabba really did have the Twin Falls name before the other guy, this whole thread would be jumping all over the other guy.
05:23 AM on 03/27/13
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I'm already confused as hell as to which Twin Falls is playing this date near me
http://www.songkick.com/concerts/153...schubas-tavern so I say make 'em both change their names.
05:41 AM on 03/27/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
I would side with the guy who wrote the article, if only because Chris' legal team seem like they aren't very nice guys.
Saying that, I don't care.
05:53 AM on 03/27/13
elemenohpe
Two pumps and a swirl.
User Info.
Hard decision but I gotta side with Twin Falls on this one.

This is definitely one of the most bands I've ever heard.

Double lol
06:21 AM on 03/27/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
I mean.. there's really no other choice on who to side with. I hope Twin Falls wins the case.
joke was already used.

RealJohn 1 Jerold 0
06:28 AM on 03/27/13
blinkeatworld
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Searched Spotify a few weeks ago, found some Twin Falls songs. Was wondering if this was gonna happen.
06:34 AM on 03/27/13
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There's two successful films by the name of "Crash". There's two bands called Face To Face. If one didn't know the other existed at the time of inception there should be latitude. I do believe an artist should search, but if they don't find anything then it's fair game. There have been hundreds of thousands band names used. When Chris Twin Falls plays in Europe, he should have to go by Twin Falls, USA and vice versa Twin Falls UK. All the band Bush albums in Canada were released as Bush x because of a similar situation. It's silly, but not being able to work it out as adults without lawyers is even more silly.Paul Haggis simply contacted David Cronenberg about using the title Crash. The story goes something like he didn't think there was any other title that made sense. Since the movies are so different in nature, Cronenberg said it was ok Haggis Crash went on to become an Oscar movie. In the process, people talking about Crash brought buzz back to Cronenbergs older film as well. Since both are Canadian, they couldn't do the Crash (Canada) thing. Or Carraba could buy the name if it means that much.
06:38 AM on 03/27/13
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
Top 5 Carrabba song too
dude, thats a top 2 carraba song! i didnt follow dashboard after the unplugged album really but THAT SONG IS A JAM!
06:40 AM on 03/27/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Really? I think Twin Falls makes a better case.
06:43 AM on 03/27/13
harryCane
Fighter of the Night Man
User Info.
What people don't seem to get is this problem is not just about touring the U.S. or the UK. Like written in the blog, what about iTunes, Spotify, record stores and the confusion this might cause? In a couple of months, stupid fangirls + boys will harrass the UK band saying stuff like "OMG, why did you steal Chris's band name you stupid brit?!"

Just like when Taylor Swift lifted a line from Matt Nathanson and 13 year olds would hate on him for using "a Taylor Swift lyric" in a song he recorded 5-10 years ago.
06:45 AM on 03/27/13
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
lolol
07:10 AM on 03/27/13
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Whoa, I sort of had the impression that Chris was wealthy, but not that wealthy.
07:15 AM on 03/27/13
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What people don't seem to get is this problem is not just about touring the U.S. or the UK. Like written in the blog, what about iTunes, Spotify, record stores and the confusion this might cause? In a couple of months, stupid fangirls + boys will harrass the UK band saying stuff like "OMG, why did you steal Chris's band name you stupid brit?!"

Just like when Taylor Swift lifted a line from Matt Nathanson and 13 year olds would hate on him for using "a Taylor Swift lyric" in a song he recorded 5-10 years ago.
How did all the other bands do it? Twin Falls is not the first band to have overlapping names. I think iTunes is more specific, so Twin Falls (Us) for England and Twin Falss (uk) for America. If people are spending money on this stuff they should have some idea. Use Shazaam, or most sites have direct links to specific iTunes. Record stores just have to put the record under Twin Falls, label should put feat Chris Carraba sticker if they feel they need to. Accidental purchases may bring the other Twin Falls record sales up.

There are dozens of people in the world who share similar names. Some are even celebrities who share who share the same name. They survive.
07:22 AM on 03/27/13
starseed
pen?
User Info.
I think not a lot of people are really reading this article. The point is not that they have the same name; the guy in the article is totally willing to negotiate. It's that the dude from Chris' management and his lawyer are being douches about the whole business and they are not willing to negotiate.

I also kind of think that it's because of the "article blurb" thing. I suspect people read the blurb in the post and then think they know everything the article has to say. Just my two cents.
07:31 AM on 03/27/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Well one of the albums I released was by a dude that went by Olsen Twinns. He got contacted by the Olson Twins' management company - yes, those Olson Twins. Needless to say, he dropped the name. They were totally cool about it so he didn't mind. A DIY artist isn't gonna be able to do shit against a powerhouse.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests