Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 694
11:04 PM on 03/27/13
loveisamixtape
Observer
User Info.
Was this episode before or after the bit where he says:
All right, f****t, how you doing? Sorry. I called him a f****t. I miss that word. You know? I grew up saying that word, and, I mean, it never meant gay. When I was a kid, I didnt know what gay was. I hadnt been told that people do that. I had no fucking idea. F****t didnt mean gay. When I was a kid, you called someone a ****** when they were being a f****t. You know? Someones just being a f****t. Nyeee. Shut up, f****t. Youre not supposed to use those for that. Shut up, f****t. I would never call a gay guy a f****t unless hes being a f****t. Not because hes gay. Like, if I saw two guys blowing each other, and I dont know why Im watching them do it, but if I just stumbled upon a couple of fellows blowing each other on their respective penesia, I would be respectful to them. Hello, gentlemen. You know, whatever. But if one of them took the dick out of his mouth and started being all f***y, saying f***y things, like People from Phoenix are Phoenicians or something like that. Id be like, Hey, shut up, f****t. Quit being a f****t and suck that dick.
holy shit I'm dead
11:04 PM on 03/27/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Was this episode before or after the bit where he says:
“All right, f****t, how you doing? Sorry. I called him a ‘f****t.’ I miss that word. You know? I grew up saying that word, and, I mean, it never meant ‘gay.’ When I was a kid, I didn’t know what gay was. I hadn’t been told that people do that. I had no fucking idea. ‘F****t’ didn’t mean gay. When I was a kid, you called someone a ‘******’ when they were being a f****t. You know? Someone’s just being a f****t. ‘Nyeee.’ ‘Shut up, f****t.’ ‘You’re not supposed to use those for that.’ ‘Shut up, f****t.’ I would never call a gay guy a ‘f****t’ unless he’s being a f****t. Not because he’s gay. Like, if I saw two guys blowing each other, and I don’t know why I’m watching them do it, but if I just stumbled upon a couple of fellows blowing each other on their respective penesia, I would be respectful to them. ‘Hello, gentlemen.’ You know, whatever. But if one of them took the dick out of his mouth and started being all f***y, saying f***y things, like ‘People from Phoenix are Phoenicians’ or something like that. I’d be like, ‘Hey, shut up, f****t. Quit being a f****t and suck that dick.’”
After.
11:05 PM on 03/27/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

Not sure why people are saying Louie's bit on this isn't relevant on this topic. He's right on. It doesn't mean the same thing it once did. By 98% of people using it, it's not meant with ill will. I'm all for gay rights and all that jazz but we're becoming a generation that is a way too sensitive. You'll support Daniel Tosh and his right to joke about a horrible thing like rape but this one word has such a hold on you.
98% eh? Where's that stat from?
11:07 PM on 03/27/13
The_Effort
User Info.
Now to actually comment on the topic: I'm really impressed by the huge backlash to homophobia lately. Not just in this "scene", but really all around me. It's great to see people standing up for human rights and the rights of others. I haven't seen any homophobic posts in recent months on my Facebook feed, whereas before, there were plenty of kids I knew from high school who would post hateful stuff all the time. I have two friends who have come out within the last year and a half and are so much happier after having done so. It's great for them to be able to feel comfortable being themselves and know that so many people have their backs.

Edit: by actually comment on the topic I meant as opposed to whining about pay-to-play-promoters and theheckler like my other posts were doing.
11:07 PM on 03/27/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
User Info.
Ugh I have to be up in 3 hours, but i'll sacrifice sleep for calling out bigotry.
Not sure if you have work or school tomorrow but squeeze in a nap during the day. If someone questions why you're sleeping, just say you spent last night defending gay rights. Unless that person hates gay people, you're all set.
11:10 PM on 03/27/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Guys, stop acting like being raised a certain way is an excuse for anything.

I was raised in a 'conservative Catholic' (I use both those words lightly, more of how it looked from the outside) household where it wasn't just okay to insult groups of people you didn't like (gays, certain races, certain religions, even political views, etc.), but in many ways was required.

And honestly, if you want to hear the blunt truth of what that hatred brings, read this: I was beaten for disagreeing with that hate at a very young age, long before my sexual orientation was apparent to me. Yet I knew it was wrong.

I don't expect all 7-9 year olds to completely comprehend the issue. And, somehow, if you're soo ignorant that you can't see past it when you're an older teenager, and even well into your twenties or older, you're choosing to keep that state of mind. It's no longer a matter of "i was raised that way". No. By older ages, the real world is in easy view. One, usually, could easily find real-life examples and relevant material on the subject. You still believe these things, and you still act that way, not only because of your upbringing, but of your personal choices throughout your life.

If you choose to be ignorant enough to defend hate, especially when you're clearly aware enough to be in a situation where it's an issue, you are the problem.
11:11 PM on 03/27/13
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
just because you dont intend for it to be homophobic doesn't mean it isn't.
This.
11:13 PM on 03/27/13
cut!print
User Info.
I'd say you probably shouldn't use the other words either. However, in this case the use of the word continues the idea that if someone is gay they are lower and less than another ... it's an insult, and propagates the very rhetoric behind disenfranchisement: that one is less than another. Subhuman. And it reinforces an extreme negative connotation with homosexuality, that it is in itself deserving of insult to be homosexual.
And this.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.

Not sure why people are saying Louie's bit on this isn't relevant on this topic. He's right on. It doesn't mean the same thing it once did. By 98% of people using it, it's not meant with ill will. I'm all for gay rights and all that jazz but we're becoming a generation that is a way too sensitive. You'll support Daniel Tosh and his right to joke about a horrible thing like rape but this one word has such a hold on you.
I don't support Tosh. In fact, I'm actually arguing that he's an asshole in another thread as well tonight.
nicksteinborn
The Wonder Years / Nick
User Info.
Those tweets were painful to read.

When I see this though, I have to wonder if the guy was just joking around, ignorant of the fact that the word is offensive and shouldn't be used anymore, and then everything just went to shit from there. Because honestly, yes that's bad but it's not nearly as awful as directing that word at someone who is gay/you legitimately think is gay.

So I'm curious. I find myself around idiots occasionally who will use this type of language without being considerate, sometimes you just have to turn away. Also, let's get the damn word out of music entirely. Maybe then people will realize it's not ok.
He did this at the merch table staring at a Hostage Calm "I support same sex marriage" shirt....

He was completely unapologetic and actually said "I didn't know anyone would actually be offended by that word."

Regardless of his intentions, as the promoter representative for the show, you should not be throwing around any insults like that. This wasn't a security guard being a meathead, this is the guy in charge of almost every show going through Empire. There were multiple other instances showcasing his lack of professionalism, but insulting a member of our tour party and how he handled everything following it were completely unacceptable for a "professional" running shows for national touring acts.
11:14 PM on 03/27/13
cut!print
User Info.
Man, I was at a show last night and they offered us free private seating because my friend is in a leg cast and there were lesbians making out in the bar and all I could think was "good for them!". It's sad to see the difference in some places of the world. Then again, gay marriage is legal in Washington now...
11:18 PM on 03/27/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
He did this at the merch table staring at a Hostage Calm "I support same sex marriage" shirt....

He was completely unapologetic and actually said "I didn't know anyone would actually be offended by that word."

Regardless of his intentions, as the promoter representative for the show, you should not be throwing around any insults like that. This wasn't a security guard being a meathead, this is the guy in charge of almost every show going through Empire. There were multiple other instances showcasing his lack of professionalism, but insulting a member of our tour party and how he handled everything following it were completely unacceptable for a "professional" running shows for national touring acts.
So the hatred is once again a result of that shirt. I'm proudly going to wear mine tomorrow.
11:22 PM on 03/27/13
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So the hatred is once again a result of that shirt. I'm proudly going to wear mine tomorrow.

LOL
11:22 PM on 03/27/13
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.

I take it he didn't buy the shirt then eh? Ha...

So this was really just out of the blue like that..?
11:26 PM on 03/27/13
loveisamixtape
Observer
User Info.
i don't get how calling your straight friend a ****** when he's being a ****** is homophobic language if there's no homophobic meaning behind it. especially in a world (which is a lot bigger than ap.net) that for the most part doesn't see that word as homophobic language. i heard that word all through my younger years (as a 5 or 6 year old kid) and no one in that age knew or cared about what gay was. does that mean we were bigot children? would it not be better to let it's old meaning fade rather than let it keep it's hateful meaning?

i think people just like talking about how tolerant they are of homosexuality on the Internet because of how much attention it gets. this article, for instance, is completely irrelevant and no one besides people that live in Richmond really give a shit. i mean, you'll say a bunch of things on here and use a lot of bandwith on this site but will you really do anything? are you gonna support a venue less that you most likely had never heard of before this article? anything that can at all be tied to homophobia becomes front page news and the biggest target to people on social media and forums. the ignorant and intolerant people still left in this world still express hate because they know it will push your buttons. support equality and leave it at that

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos