Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 71.
11:53 AM on 03/28/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
love it. lopez was a sick producer for sure.
11:56 AM on 03/28/13
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
Been a huge Senses Fail fan for the past 7 or 8 years. Def in my top 3 fav "scene bands" since then. Never thought they could outdo LIEY, but then Still Searching came out and my jaw dropped. Amazing from start to finish. When LINAWR was released I felt that it was nothing special. But after giving it another shot a year or two later I liked it more. Didnt have high expectations for The Fire, but I must say they stepped it up and that album was awesome. Loved everything about it. So needless to say when they announced a new album I was pumped. After hearing that it would be much heavier Im not sure what to make of it. Finally listened to it and Im still trying to get a full opinion. It's not bad, but certainly not that SF vibe from all their other albums. Each listen does get better, but Im not sure if it will ever be as awesome to me as their previous albums. Certainly not The Fire, Still Searching, or LIEY.
11:57 AM on 03/28/13
JeffyDomer
Things are the same.
User Info.
I haven't listened to these guys since still searching. Definitely a great album and I'm glad I started listening to them again.
12:07 PM on 03/28/13
HCO SF 87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Still Searching is miles better than this album. What happened to the insanely catchy choruses this band used to have?
12:21 PM on 03/28/13
alexa_ATL
Pretty eyed, pirate smile
User Info.
"dickripper" really made me laugh. Album is solid, maybe not their best but I really dig it.
12:56 PM on 03/28/13
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
I just got the album earlier today. I'm liking the heavier Senses Fail. I've been wanting them to go this route for so long and finally they have.
01:00 PM on 03/28/13
moneymaker.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Still Searching is miles better than this album. What happened to the insanely catchy choruses this band used to have?
truth. just because this album is heavier doesnt mean its better than previous work the band has done
01:37 PM on 03/28/13
BLeClair12
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Since pickingit up Tuesday morning, I'd wager that I've listened to the record about ten times now. Honestly, it's still settling in. I like it, without a doubt, and as someone who listens primarily to pop punk and has more or less shed most heavier bands in recent years, that's not to be taken lightly.

Senses Fail has always struck a chord with me. Despite being slightly heavier than the majority of bands I listen to, a couple of things always made them a staple in my catalog of music - Buddy's lyricism, and their ability to right incredibly catchy hooks, even in the most unexpected of places.

I was never huge on From the Depths of Dreams. I value Let It Enfold You, but I've never believed it embodied the band's best work. I would, without a doubt, place Still Searching in my top ten favorite records. I love Life Is Not A Waiting Room and The Fire. That should give a bit of a jumping off point where I'm going here.

Truth be told, these days, the heaviest bands I listen to are Senses Fail and Every Time I Die. Underoath, too, though they've sort of been relegated to what I consider a "mood" band, one that I have to be in a specific mood to really listen to extensively and enjoy. The same can be said for Every Time I Die as well, actually. Senses Fail has never been that way. It's too early for me to say Renacer will end up in that category, but it could.

The change, to me, was rather abrupt. I loved "War Paint", despite it being distinctively heavier than most everything on The Fire, but it still contained the very signature Senses Fail sound and guitar work. I think that has more or less been completely abandoned on this record.

Now, I'm not necessarily implying that's a bad thing. Replacing half of your band will undoubtedly lead to a change in sound, and this is clearly the direction they were intent on going, so all the power in the world to them.

I think "Holy Mountain", "Closure/Rebirth", "The Path", and "Between the Mountains and the Sea" are the record's strongest points, without a doubt, and I believe they may be among the band's finest work to date. Buddy's melodic pacing and clean vocals are so good that it makes me wish there were more.

One thing I would disagree with, to some extent, is the lyricism on this record being at its best. It's still brutally honest, which I love, but to me, it just doesn't pack the same sort of punch that the previous records do.

In the end, I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy this record and find new ways to appreciate it, but I can't help but wonder if I'd even have given it a second listen if it weren't a Senses Fail record.
02:00 PM on 03/28/13
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
You don't criticize the album once, yet you still only give it an 80% ??
And in the same week Cartel and the Story So Far basically release "more of the same" when it comes to their own catalogs of music (don't get me wrong, I think both those records are solid) and get 85% ??
I don't think it will ever happen, but some sort of standard should be set here as I feel like the review scores on this website are getting more and more irrelevant and contradicting as time goes on.

As for the record, I think it's easily the bands strongest and most complete release to date. Vocally, lyrically, instrumentally ... everything has improved. Sure the hooks have gone, but that was clearly intentional, and if you want that you have their entire back catalog to choose from (maybe excluding LINAWR). A possible sleeper for AOTY for me, I don't think I've ever heard a better hardcore record.
02:02 PM on 03/28/13
SoBefruitpunch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been saying dickripper all afternoon.
02:02 PM on 03/28/13
The Minn
User Info.
I did enjoy this album, a lot, but I think "Still Searching" will be the best from them.
02:05 PM on 03/28/13
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
User Info.
As much as I wanted to like this I don't. Mi Amor, The Path and Between The Mountains and The Sea are good tracks, but the rest just flows together.
02:18 PM on 03/28/13
SteveD
It won't snow where she is going.
User Info.
Loved the album, they killed it on this one.
02:39 PM on 03/28/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
You don't criticize the album once, yet you still only give it an 80% ??
And in the same week Cartel and the Story So Far basically release "more of the same" when it comes to their own catalogs of music (don't get me wrong, I think both those records are solid) and get 85% ??
I don't think it will ever happen, but some sort of standard should be set here as I feel like the review scores on this website are getting more and more irrelevant and contradicting as time goes on.

As for the record, I think it's easily the bands strongest and most complete release to date. Vocally, lyrically, instrumentally ... everything has improved. Sure the hooks have gone, but that was clearly intentional, and if you want that you have their entire back catalog to choose from (maybe excluding LINAWR). A possible sleeper for AOTY for me, I don't think I've ever heard a better hardcore record.
I've said plenty of times that I don't put much stock into my scores and neither should the readers. an 8/10 is a great score, and I didn't review Cartel or TSSF, two records I would give much lower scores to if I had. Different reviewers, different opinions, different discussions - that's the beauty of this site!
02:41 PM on 03/28/13
Mikeallover
User Info.
The Path is my favorite song so far this year. It gets me so pumped.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums