AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Our Last Night - The Ghosts Among Us Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 7.36
Lyrics 6.68
Production 7.68
Creativity 6.77
Lasting Value 7.23
Reviewer Tilt 7.66
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Our Last Night - The Ghosts Among Us

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (04/05/08)
Our Last Night - The Ghosts Among Us
Release Date: March 4th, 2008
Record Label: Epitaph Records

Every person has their "gateway" band that has gotten them into the music that they listen to today. The genre of hardcore is not one I listen to often, but before I heard Underoath's 2004 release They're Only Chasing Safety, I couldn't stand it. What I liked the most about They're Only Chasing Safety was that it brought a poppier side to a genre which made it more accessible to the musical tastes of mine.

One of Epitaph's recent signees Our Last Night does a similar thing with their newest album The Ghosts Among Us. Produced by Steve Evetts (Senses Fail, Every Time I Die), The Ghosts Among Us supplies 11 tracks of heavy breakdowns, as well as intensity riff-wise and vocally, which are also at most times melodic. The band's duel vocalists Trevor and Matt Wentworth complement each other nicely as one sings (Matt) and one screams (Trevor). Probably the biggest thing that people seem to point about this band is the age of screamer Trevor Wentworth, who was no older than 15 at the time of recording this album. It's definitely apparent that his voice isn't very matured but I also wouldn't expect that it's coming from a kid in his early years of high school, so overall I find it pretty impressive.

Musically wise, like I noted earlier, the album has a strong resemblance to They're Only Chasing Safety, especially on tracks like "Timing is Everything" and "Recovery," as it reminds me of Underoath's "Reinventing Your Exit" or "I'm Content With Losing." The album's hit "Escape" provides the catchy aspect to the record which is instantly addictive. "Dreamcatcher" is probably one of the hardest songs on the album with the Wentworth brothers' vocals getting more intense as each song passes. My favorite track on the album would have to be "This is Your Life Saver" as its chorus is insanely infectious and memorable.

"The Messenger" is the final song on the album, and you get nothing more but nothing less of what was brought throughout the 10 songs previously. "I fled the scene / Two crashes and you can bet I am not one of them" are the final words blasting out of the speakers before the record comes to a close and the proof is shown that Epitaph Records has released another solid album. For The Ghosts Among Us as a debut coming from a band as young as Our Last Night, it's evident that they are promising enough that they will keep getting better.

Recommended If You LikeUnderoath, Senses Fail, Silverstein

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Symptoms of a Failing System
02) Timing is Everything
03) Running the Clocks
04) Recovery
05) Escape
06) Dreamcatcher
07) Forecasting
08) Surviving Disasters
09) This is Your Life Saver
10) I Have Fought a Measureless Battle
11) The Messenger

Our Last Night is:
Trevor Wentworth - Vocals
Matt Wentworth - Guitar/vocals
Colin Perry - Guitar
Alex Woodrow - Bass
Tom Malloy - Drums

AP Profile - Myspace - - Buy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41
03:00 PM on 04/05/08
ZeRoLiMiTz
...giggity
User Info.
good review, i remember stumbling onto these guys on purevolume and being very impressed with them especially for a younger group of guys.
04:02 PM on 04/05/08
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
i think i'd like this band a lot more without the screaming. but they definitely have potential
04:07 PM on 04/05/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I remember giving these guys a listen and not being able to put up with the screaming. I'll give it another spin and see if it reminds me of Underoath.
08:27 PM on 04/05/08
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
I love this album. And I never listen to anything even remotely hardcore.
09:22 PM on 04/05/08
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Nice review. I dig this album, but you do have to get used to his scream a little bit because it doesn't have the punch it will when he gets a little older. The singer has an amazing voice though, and I think it's solid from start to finish.
10:02 AM on 04/06/08
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
They're Only Chasing Safety came out in 2004, not 2002. And this is a pretty good album, nice and concise review.
11:16 AM on 04/06/08
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
I like everything about this band except for the kid's screaming. Just not mature/strong enough. Just sounds weak.
12:08 PM on 04/06/08
circa jusTurna
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You gotta give it to them for their age group. I picked this album up a week or two ago and really do like it. The review is pretty accurate as well.
08:08 PM on 04/06/08
sirensiren
FTSK '08!
User Info.
soliddd.
10:47 PM on 04/06/08
momentsrewound
User Info.
This album is constantly playing on my ipod, so insanely catchy and heavy at the same time. Their musicianship really impresses me.
11:24 PM on 04/06/08
MatAutomatica
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Tim Malloy, not Tom Molloy on drums.

This CD is awesome. I figured I'd pick it up because I watched them progress in the local scene and I was interested in how it sounded but I never expected to be in love with it. I can't stop listening.
12:18 AM on 04/07/08
Bryant
User Info.
I like this stuff. Definitely reminds me of UnderOath. You can tell the singers young, but I give him props, cuz he'll probably be really good next record they do.
01:02 AM on 04/07/08
AlexanderG
starting fires
User Info.
TOCS was definatetly a gateway record for me as well
03:39 AM on 04/07/08
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Love this album.
Options
More From This Author