Username
Password
Drama News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Drama
Inside AP.net

Band Puts Up Pro-Piracy Ad in Times Square

Posted by: Drew Beringer (03/28/13)
Ghost Beach put up a pro-piracy/anti-piracy billboard in Times Square. You can read a message from the band about it in the replies.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49.
12:01 PM on 03/28/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Ghost Beach Piracy StatementOur hope with this campaign is to stimulate the discussion on exactly what 'piracy' means to different people. To an older industry sector, it's a dirty word that implies theft. From a younger, purely consumer standpoint it's another term for distribution. As it stands now, we're more closely aligned with the music consumer - in the sense that we are for this new distribution model, as evident by our efforts thus far to make Ghost Beach original music available for free to fans.

We think that working towards a digital retail/stream model, something similar to Spotify or Rdio, is the future of music - using the Internet as a force for connectivity and development rather then seeing it as the enemy. We subscribe to media futurist Gerd Leonhards 'music like water' philosophy that, one day, individuals will just pay a music bill - similar to their water bill, cable bill, electric bill - for unabated access. In this (hopefully attainable) Utopian music society, music will be available to consumers at a fare rate and artists/labels will be compensated with a fair royalty rate. In no way do we want to encourage theft of intellectual property. However we definitely support the idea of music distribution adapting to new technologies rather then fight against them.

Sincerely,

Ghost Beach
12:06 PM on 03/28/13
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That was mighty nice of them to waste resources putting up a sign that is obvious to begin with ("Hey everyone! There are two sides to this issue so please discuss.")
12:09 PM on 03/28/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
uhhh... what?
12:10 PM on 03/28/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
That was mighty nice of them to waste resources putting up a sign that is obvious to begin with ("Hey everyone! There are two sides to this issue so please discuss.")
Sadly, this.
12:11 PM on 03/28/13
eriatarka24
=^.^=
User Info.
12:22 PM on 03/28/13
pleasedontask
Butter On A Summer Day...
User Info.
At least they did something kind of cool with the money.
12:33 PM on 03/28/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Was hoping it'd be this:

12:39 PM on 03/28/13
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
Was hoping it'd be this:

/Thread
12:46 PM on 03/28/13
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
idk. i think this is interesting to open the debate up like this.
12:47 PM on 03/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I haven't listened to the band yet .. but I want to just so I can make the "I wouldn't even pirate your music" joke.
12:48 PM on 03/28/13
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
So, they won what seems to be a pretty good promo deal for a relatively unknown band, and they decided to do this?
12:51 PM on 03/28/13
MrDelux
User Info.
I haven't listened to the band yet .. but I want to just so I can make the "I wouldn't even pirate your music" joke.
This.

Looked for their music to pirate and it isnt available at the major pirating sites.
12:54 PM on 03/28/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
they have links to buy or download for free at http://www.artistsvsartists.com/

i don't think those two options actually represent piracy/nonpiracy, since they're both legitimate, legal options offered by the band, but i see what they're trying to get at. i think they're just missing the point of piracy being without the consent of the artist.
12:55 PM on 03/28/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
So, they won what seems to be a pretty good promo deal for a relatively unknown band, and they decided to do this?
let's see how much attention this attracts, compared to what might be expected if they simply put up a billboard advertising their music.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS