Username
Password
Album Info. News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Album Info.
Inside AP.net

100 Greatest Debut Albums of All Time

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/28/13)
Rolling Stone have posted their "100 Greatest Debut Albums of All Time" list.
A note on how we made the list: Albums got docked points if the artist went on to far greater achievements (which is why Please, Please Me and Greetings from Asbury Park, great as they are, didn't made the top ten); conversely, we gave a little extra recognition to great debut albums that the artist never matched (hello, Is This It and Illmatic!). We also skipped solo debuts by artists who were already in well-known bands, which is why you won’t see John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band or Paul Simon. We focused, instead, on debuts that gave you the thrill of an act arriving fully-formed, ready to reinvent the world in its own image.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 164
03:42 PM on 03/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Albums got docked points if the artist went on to far greater achievements (which is why Please, Please Me and Greetings from Asbury Park, great as they are, didn't made the top ten); conversely, we gave a little extra recognition to great debut albums that the artist never matched (hello, Is This It and Illmatic!).

That's the part that makes this interesting and difficult to judge -- got me thinking about a more "scene-centric" list. Off the top of my head I got ...

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
Say Anything - Is a Real Boy
The Living End - Self-Titled
03:45 PM on 03/28/13
gameboy_color
Piddo-shitstained-woodpecker
User Info.
'Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666' by HIM should be on this list.
03:45 PM on 03/28/13
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
I would be The Used on that scene-centric list.
03:50 PM on 03/28/13
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
Albums got docked points if the artist went on to far greater achievements (which is why Please, Please Me and Greetings from Asbury Park, great as they are, didn't made the top ten); conversely, we gave a little extra recognition to great debut albums that the artist never matched (hello, Is This It and Illmatic!).

That's the part that makes this interesting and difficult to judge -- got me thinking about a more "scene-centric" list. Off the top of my head I got ...

Baseball doesn't count?
03:53 PM on 03/28/13
Dctromotola
No
User Info.
I would be The Used on that scene-centric list.
yep
03:53 PM on 03/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Baseball doesn't count?
No
03:57 PM on 03/28/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.

would add
Take This To Your Grave
Anhedonia
Everything In Transit

There are a few others but those come to mind instantly.
03:59 PM on 03/28/13
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.

Reach For The Sun and Fists Buried In Pockets.
04:00 PM on 03/28/13
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
If Baseball doesn't count for Say Anything, does Evening Out... not count for FOB?
04:01 PM on 03/28/13
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would say Saosin's self titled but they took so long to release it It would've been ahead of its time
04:02 PM on 03/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
If Baseball doesn't count for Say Anything, does Evening Out... not count for FOB?
I don't think Baseball and EO really count ... they weren't really released.
04:02 PM on 03/28/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.

My Chemical Romance is obviously my answer. Also, The Used and I agree with yours too.
04:03 PM on 03/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
My Chemical Romance is obviously my answer. Also, The Used and I agree with yours too.
I think MCR went on to do greater achievements and get docked points.
04:03 PM on 03/28/13
Junction183
User Info.
Pearl Jam - Ten (didn't even make the top 10)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests