Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 66 of 66
09:30 AM on 03/31/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
omggggggggggggggggggggg shut up

yeah because there totally aren't any cases of effeminate boys killing themselves due to public shaming of not being "man enough" and so it totally isn't a huge societal problem that is basically ignored.

but at least if Justin had said "don't be gay" everyone would be rushing to call him out on it (probably. he might just get a pass because his JT)

This really isn't a sexist comment. When you restate facts in a joking way, it is not a sin. Yes, some girls can drink. But statistically and scientifically girls are smaller than men (on average) and therefore cannot withstand the volume of alcohol (on average) that a man can. Hence the phrase. It's not a big deal that he said it. In fact, it mattered so little only someone on absolute punk got upset.
I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would have a problem with the original post pointing out that the comment was sexist and gender-stereotypical... also having way more trouble understanding how you could argue against it obviously being sexist and gender-stereotypical.

"This isn't sexist" and "statistically, the implication was true anyway" don't belong in the same argument, because the latter statement misses the whole point.
09:33 AM on 03/31/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Courtesy of the Jokes thread..
03:57 PM on 03/31/13
lbopm
catch phrase
User Info.
I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would have a problem with the original post pointing out that the comment was sexist and gender-stereotypical... also having way more trouble understanding how you could argue against it obviously being sexist and gender-stereotypical.

"This isn't sexist" and "statistically, the implication was true anyway" don't belong in the same argument, because the latter statement misses the whole point.
My point was facts aren't sexist-- they just are facts.
04:06 PM on 03/31/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
My point was facts aren't sexist-- they just are facts.
Yeah, and there's a difference between stating facts and extrapolating them into generalizations which are sexist.
04:20 PM on 03/31/13
lbopm
catch phrase
User Info.
Yeah, and there's a difference between stating facts and extrapolating them into generalizations which are sexist.
As humans we tend to think in generalizations. Would you fault a child for saying the sky is blue? It most certainly isn't but we accept this as fact. No one is being hurt by saying "girls do not drink as well as men." In fact, no one is even hurt when someone says "girls are not as strong as men." Sure, there are some girls certainly stronger than most men, but it's not comparable. Things become "stereotypes" because there are some truth to them, whether you like it or not. It's up to you to decide if you will be offended by them. All stereotypes are not bad, regardless of the negative connotation some people put on them (in fact, that's a very black and white view of stereotypes, which I'm sure you'd agree is not the best way to view anything. Everything should be taken case by case. Murder is not per say bad, depending on the situation. The holocaust was, but there are others that are justified). I only responded to the original poster because they were somehow "disappointed" in JT over this. I think that's pathetic and I stand by that.
07:44 PM on 03/31/13
ReklessJake
Crossfit for Hope
User Info.
What's the tequila called?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT