Username
Password
Funny News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Funny
Inside AP.net

Comedy Round-Up (3/30/13)

Posted by: Cody Nelson (03/30/13)
Head to the replies to discuss the week in comedy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 51.
03:42 AM on 03/30/13
Cody Nelson
facebook.com/comedyfiends
User Info.
Comedy Round-UpContributors: Cody Nelson, deadkidsean, deanster321, ImTheSheriff, itsmesean0630, PepsiOne, phaynes1 and Star Slight

Stand-Up

1. IFC has posted an extensive interview with Scott Aukerman.

2. You can watch two hilarious clips from Kristen Schaal’s new special here.

3. Dana Gould will be taping his one-hour special this Friday.

4. Kurt Braunohler, in his infinite genius, has done the best thing that can be done with crowdfunding. Somebody shut down Kickstarter.

5. If you're a frustrated mom, Kelly Oxford wrote a book, so I guess that's funny.

6. Nick Thune will be taping his new special at The Bell House in New York City on May 16th. Tickets are on sale now, and attendance comes highly recommended by me.

7. While we'd all love to hear a new stand-up set, having a new bluegrass album and tour right around the corner is good enough Steve Martin news for now.

TV/Film

1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Katee Sackhoff and Guillermo Del Toro are three of many scheduled to guest on the upcoming season of The Nerdist which premieres tonight on BBC America at 10pm EST.

2. Going a little further down the list, here’s 9 potential Weekend Update hosts should Seth Meyers get Fallon’s job next year.

3. Shane Allen, the BBC’s new comedy controller, shares some of his future plans for the network in this Guardian interview.

4. Cougar Town has been renewed for a 13-episode 5th season to begin airing in January 2014.

5. Seth Green to star in Seth MacFarlane’s record-breaking 32nd FOX show.

6. Rory Scovel has been cast in Bill Lawrence’s new pilot for TBS.

7. Sorry, fans of Date Night: the next Carell/Fey movie has been delayed for another year.

8. How bad do you imagine Amazon's first original series being? This bad? I'd say Twinkies discontinued themselves at the right time.

9. Chevy Chase and Beverly D'angelo are confirmed to reprise their roles as the Griswold parents in the upcoming Vacation reboot.

10. Forest Whitaker is taking over development on the upcoming Richard Pryor biopic, working closely with the comic's widow on the project.

11. Rob Huebel, Griffin Newman and Oscar Nunez have all found their way to new network projects.

12. If you somehow haven't heard yet, a lot of shit went down for FX this week.

13. I'm gonna start trying to make jokes for all these headlines, but right now, I'll just say that NBC's 'Girlfriend In a Coma' is in a coma. Crushed it.

14. This week's obscure Archer references decoded. I'd have typed that out in Italian, but I spent way too much time on the Romansh.

15. In yet another casting change for the show, the ever-reliable Erinn Hayes has joined the cast of NBC's pilot 'Holding Patterns.'

Next Week's Late-Night Guests

Carson Daly: Nikki Glaser & Sara Schaefer (Th)
Conan: Seth Rogen (M), Paul Rudd (T), Darius Rucker (W)
Fallon: Alec Baldwin (M), Tracy Morgan (T), Sarah Silverman (W), Melissa McCarthy (Th), Taran Killam (F)
Ferguson: Lena Dunham (T), Lisa Kudrow (W), Molly Shannon (Th)
Kimmel: Bill Maher (T), Russell Brand (W)
Leno: Kristen Schaal (M), Max Greenfield (W), Demetri Martin (F)
Letterman: Louis CK (W), Martin Short (Th)

Feature Articles

1. The AV Club has posted a list of 7 essential books about comedy written by comedians.

2. Happy Endings and the Magic of Rapid-Fire Sitcom Dialogue

3. The History of Offerman & Mullally

4. Tales From the TGIF Writer's Room

Videos

1. Stand-Up Bit of the Week: Gary Gulman - "The Discman"

2. Watch a supercut of every fake video game from The Simpsons.

3. IFC has released its first official trailer for the upcoming show Maron.

4. Superego and ThingX have teamed up to release this video about an International Cloud Registry. I expect it will confuse most of you more than it will entertain.

5. Want to see Nick Offerman breakdance? Sorry, there shouldn't be a question mark there. Of course you do.

6. William Fichtner discusses his man cave among other things with Paul F. Tompkins on this week's Speakeasy.

7. We've all had to deal with a rough morning after.

8. Burning Love - Season 3 Trailer.

9. Peter Serafinowicz's Guide to Videogame Voice Acting

Podcasts

Comedy Bang! Bang! #210 - Adam Brody
You Had To Be There #102 - Chris Fairbanks
Nerdist #339 - Jenna-Louise Coleman (Doctor Who)
You Made It Weird #137 - Jon Hamm
Doug Loves Movies - Brie Larson, Jack Plotnick, and "Werner Herzog"
Call Chelsea Peretti #22 - WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE Ft. Joe Mande
My Brother, My Brother & Me #145 - Three's Company High

Tweets
Quote:
@robhuebel - I'm choosing not to 'live in the moment' because this moment smells a lot like farts.
@birbigs - I like Sigur Ros' closer where they play a violin solo and then whisper all of the secrets of the universe into a dixie cup.
@adamhess1 - Wearing my normal glasses today but trying to impress people by saying phrases like 'Ok Glass. Book me a penis-reduction appointment.'
@MattKoff - I don't know who this Rorschach guy is, but he sure likes drawing pictures of my parents not being proud of me!
@TheNardVark - It’s like my gay friend always says, “why can’t you just call me your friend?”
@LouisPeitzman - The woman next to me just spent more time choosing between fries and fruit than I did picking a college.
@EliBraden - uh hello ALL boots were made for walking nancy sinatra you stupid piece of shit
@ChelseaVPeretti - If u really think about it no one is truly perfect..kindof wild rite lol
@christianduguay - Other skills: Have read the first 25 pages of several books on screenwriting.
@annadrezen - The best way to die is obviously being murdered by Beyonce with a sword, but do I want it bc it's what I want or bc it's what evrybdy wants?

Cody's Pick

I didn't get the chance to listen to much stand-up this week, but when I did, I was mostly re-listening to both of John Mulaney's albums. A brilliant storyteller and joke craftsman, Mulaney perfectly conveys the difficulties of topics such as adulthood, relationships and everyday life in a manner that would work equally well as asides told to friends at a small party. A former writer for SNL, he can be seen starring on his upcoming NBC pilot The John Mulaney Show, which, if you pay attention to my enthusiasm around the site at all, is certain to redefine the multi-camera comedy as we know it.

----------
Sources: spotify.com, youtube.com, libsyn.com, feralaudio.com, nerdist.com, splitsider.com, earwolf.com, burninglove.com, collegehumor.com, avclub.com, interbridge.com, deadline.com, variety.com, tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com, guardian.co.uk, laughspin.com, kickstarter.com, thelaughbutton.com, amazon.com, theblacklistnyc.com, twitter.com, vulture.com
----------
As always, if you have any news to submit or just want to know more about the world of comedy, PM me or go to the Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread. We're knowledgable, friendly, and the best.
04:43 AM on 03/30/13
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
For what it's worth, my Twitter is deantsmith.
04:43 AM on 03/30/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
For what it's worth, my Twitter is deantsmith.
I was planning on asking. I just added the ones I could find right away. Thanks!
05:05 AM on 03/30/13
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
I was planning on asking. I just added the ones I could find right away. Thanks!
No problem, not blaming you. I don't think I've given it out here before so I can't expect anyone to know it, haha.
06:11 AM on 03/30/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
I watched Ross Noble: Things the other night. I was smiling the entire time. Super funny dude.
06:19 AM on 03/30/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
Random thoughts (let me know if I should quote the original articles to make these easier to take in):

- That 'Clear Milk' bit from the Serafinowicz video is like straight from Look Around You, so great.

- Trailer for Maron is immensely underwhelming, and my excitement for that show is quickly dwindling. They're trying too hard to hit us with 'comic can't connect with people because he's too busy spilling his problems on them' aspect, and it's falling flat.

- I honestly can't commend Kurt Braunohler enough. His mindset of inserting absurdity randomly into people's lives to make the world a better place is so onpoint and successful, and the Kickstarter is a perfect example of that. I hope he keeps at it for a long, long time, because I know I've used his ideas to keep his message alive in Barnes & Nobles and Walgreens all over the city.

- All rumors of it falling apart aside, those clips of Schaal's special look so good. She's so dorky, unafraid and damn funny; it'd be a shame to see her stand-up career disintegrate because of this.

- I don't know how I feel about FXX. If it rolls out wide right away, I guess more power to them; the decision to not move all the comedies over to the 'comedy' channel is just more confusing than not, and do they even have enough original drama to justify the split? We'll see, they do have one more pilot season to fill their schedule up.

- If you like that Superego video, or somehow love it as much as me, can we be best friends?

- I want to see Adam Brody do improv; it took him a minute, but man, he flowed so well with the second half of that Bang! Bang! episode. Also, Chelsea Peretti is the perfect woman, but that's not news at this point.
06:44 AM on 03/30/13
Bongi5788
User Info.
I was at Jim Norton's taping for his new stand up special last night in Somerville, MA and it was hilarious.
06:51 AM on 03/30/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
I was at Jim Norton's taping for his new stand up special last night in Somerville, MA and it was hilarious.
Judging by his tweets, he loved you guys too. Glad you had a good time; Norton's not my cup of tea, but the people that like him LOVE him. How long did the taping go for?
06:55 AM on 03/30/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I kinda liked the Maron promo but to be honest, I'm not going in expecting too much. I've cooled down on him pretty hard recently.

Agree with Cody's comment on Adam Brody. Once he picked up the flow of CBB, the episode got pretty great.

Favorite Mulaney one-liner: "but traveling can be lonely..wait, sorry I told that wrong. What's the word? Life...life can be lonely."
06:58 AM on 03/30/13
aboutsharks
User Info.
What were the rumors about Schaal? That seems odd to me.

And why would FX create FXX to focus on comedy and then add drama? Sense not made.
06:59 AM on 03/30/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
I kinda liked the Maron promo but to be honest, I'm not going in expecting too much. I've cooled down on him pretty hard recently.

Agree with Cody's comment on Adam Brody. Once he picked up the flow of CBB, the episode got pretty great.

Favorite Mulaney one-liner: "but traveling can be lonely..wait, sorry I told that wrong. What's the word? Life...life can be lonely."
Is there anything better than picking up on the game of the character in the second half of CBB? When I realized 'oh, okay, all he's ever going to do is obscure 90's references,' I felt so great. I love improv so much, that's such a rewarding feeling, haha.

Also, the second half of that one-liner is just as good: "Sometimes I'll be talking with someone and I'll be like 'I've been really lonely lately,' and they'll be like 'well, we should hang out,' and I'm like 'no, that's not what I meant.'"

If I had a nickel for everytime I had that exact thought, I'd be rich, haha.
07:03 AM on 03/30/13
Cody Nelson
User Info.
What were the rumors about Schaal? That seems odd to me.

And why would FX create FXX to focus on comedy and then add drama? Sense not made.
Well, apparently (and this is still pure speculation, I believe) she had a bit of a lapse on-stage where she screwed up a bit or was trying to be sincere about a topic, or something along those lines, and for whatever reason it got huge laughs from the crowd, and it really messed her up; I've read she had a mini-breakdown/panic attack on the stage, and then she pushed heavily for it to not be released. Comedy Central can certainly edit around it, but hopefully she's alright. That's all based around the idea that it's in fact true, which it could very well not be.

And FX is staying with Justified and Louie and The Americans, but they're keeping Archer and Wilfred on that one. Then FXX, the comedy network, is going to be anchored by Sunny and The League and the late-night talk shows. I get why Louie would stay, it's hardly a comedy, but the other decisions are just confusing to me.
07:10 AM on 03/30/13
deadkidsean
__
User Info.
Wow, that Maron trailer. Bad, bad, bad. Worse than I expected. His acting ... woof.

Lmao at the Kelly Oxford wording. She's semi-entertaining to follow, but not because she's funny. I actually don't know why. Hm. How did that become a thing? That she's funny?

Seth Meyers is so miserably unfunny. It'd be a travesty, should he get the Late Show job.

Rory, on the other hand, is amazing.
07:11 AM on 03/30/13
aboutsharks
User Info.
Well, apparently (and this is still pure speculation, I believe) she had a bit of a lapse on-stage where she screwed up a bit or was trying to be sincere about a topic, or something along those lines, and for whatever reason it got huge laughs from the crowd, and it really messed her up; I've read she had a mini-breakdown/panic attack on the stage, and then she pushed heavily for it to not be released. Comedy Central can certainly edit around it, but hopefully she's alright. That's all based around the idea that it's in fact true, which it could very well not be.

And FX is staying with Justified and Louie and The Americans, but they're keeping Archer and Wilfred on that one. Then FXX, the comedy network, is going to be anchored by Sunny and The League and the late-night talk shows. I get why Louie would stay, it's hardly a comedy, but the other decisions are just confusing to me.
Wow, that's really interesting/sad if it's true. I hope it's not, I really like her.

It's too early in the morning/I'm not stoned enough to comprehend this FX thing. So the drama isn't being added to FXX but to FX? That would make more sense since FXX is for comedy. Whatever, they can do what they like, I'll still watch.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS