AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:19 PM on 03/30/13 
User Info.
strikefirefall
I just get curious about how much they really bring in. If a 3-4 piece band can sell out a 500 capacity venue, are they assured to bring in around $5,000 (500 tickets x $10 admission)? I'm assuming $10 is the price of admission, it may be a little higher. Making $1,000 a gig doesn't seem to be all that bad.
08:32 PM on 03/30/13 
User Info.
hands_of_stone
my old band made negative $100 per gig! :D
12:23 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
San Diego, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm quite sure the money is also split between other bands on the tour, the venue, tour manager, label, crew, and possibly others.
05:17 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
_veges_
I'm quite sure the money is also split between other bands on the tour, the venue, tour manager, label, crew, and possibly others.
All of this plus, the band then needs to split whatever is left over 4 or 5 ways
05:26 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
strikefirefall

I already knew all of that. I'm not wondering how many people they have to split the money with, I just wanted to know how much you guys thought they'd be bringing in.
06:14 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
per year is $15,000-$40,000 depending on the band
07:12 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
Oddman
Used register
The Netherlands
Male
I just get curious about how much they really bring in. If a 3-4 piece band can sell out a 500 capacity venue, are they assured to bring in around $5,000 (500 tickets x $10 admission)? I'm assuming $10 is the price of admission, it may be a little higher. Making $1,000 a gig doesn't seem to be all that bad.

You might want to add the sale of merchandise. Imagine 10% of that crowd buying merchandise at an average price of $10, that's another $500. Obviously, in most cases, that doesn't all go to the band, but you already knew that.
07:23 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
Canvey Island,...
Male - 22 Years Old
I was taking the someone in a band a while back, I can't remember who it was, but it works out that if you sell out a 5,000 capacity place, you can get about $1000, because of the main support band(lower down bands normally don't get a cut of the those ticket sales and are a seperate deal from the tour.), venue costs, security, tour managers, tour staff, etc. etc. etc. Normally there will be around 300 - 500 in merch sales depending on a lot of variables.

It doesn't sound band, but a lower band playing like a 500 capacity or 1000 capacity could end up with around $100 a night. There was a blog a while back explaining how a band had to survive on $20 a day during a tour. I can't remember who wrote it, but he said he worked in a record store between tours, that might help.
08:12 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
strikefirefall
You might want to add the sale of merchandise. Imagine 10% of that crowd buying merchandise at an average price of $10, that's another $500. Obviously, in most cases, that doesn't all go to the band, but you already knew that.

I did know that. Only interested in knowing the amount off the show, nothing else.
09:00 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
Everett, WA
Male - 29 Years Old
I wonder if some venues that sell alcohol take less of the door, only because they'll make bank at the bar b
09:26 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
per year is $15,000-$40,000 depending on the band
If they're lucky and have solid merch sales

No matter how you cut it, its not a lot, espesially individually.
09:50 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
stmx
Naperville, IL
Male
Funfact: Black Flag's guarantee on this tour is $10,000 (and Other Flag's is $20,000). Multiply times shows, add in nominal merch sales (Vanna calls $500 "a really good day" -- one imagines Black Flag could do that every night of a tour) and do the math.
11:05 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
domgulli
No Avatar Selected
Philly
Male
venues also take cuts of merch money made. not very much but it's still a cut.
11:41 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
Dlemert
Male - 23 Years Old
I've heard Coldplay does pretty well.
11:47 AM on 03/31/13 
User Info.
Fringe
highfive
Male - 19 Years Old
My old band made $1000 when we sold out a 500 cap venue. That was including merch sales.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos