Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 87 posts.
09:40 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Such a weird record. Didn't Drew say he liked it? Would be interested to see his thoughts
drew says "it's just there" haha. i think a lot of people will be very neutral on it - which is a bad thing in my opinion. i'd be a lot more "neutral" about it if they weren't such a good band
09:57 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I think I remember earlier on he said something more positive but yeah I'm pretty neutral too. I don't like the album but I can see what they were going for and think the guys behind it are so hard working that I can't really hate it.
i can agree with the last sentiment - and i totally see where they were going, maybe it's a matter of them hammering out where their music is heading....makes me excited for their next release honestly because i think they'll dial it in and nail it
10:11 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
and i think a 40% is way too low. did you hate it that much; no redeeming qualities at all?
i wouldn't agree with the person above, who said it's just below average. a 4 is really low for me to give. but like...it's not a 3 you know? or a 2 or a 1? haha. there's some redeeming qualities in there obviously...mainly the two first released songs and parts of other tracks. there are extremely short segments that i really like, then something goes wrong...it makes for a frustrating listen
10:16 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Isn't a 5 considered average though?
i'd say a 7 is more average. maybe that's just me - kinda like school grading? i dunno. i don't pay too much mind to the score, i think what i wrote about the record does a pretty good job of getting my thoughts across
10:44 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
if a 5 is average then this is like a 2
10:46 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I want the scale to be: recommend, neutral, don't recommend.

But I always get out voted on that idea.
i was doing something like that for a super short time following the number scores - but with more than three layers. i kinda like the idea of this though, just because people would actually read the reviews. however i'd have a problem with some albums that i may not enjoy, but still think people should listen to. i dunno, i guess that'd just be neutral.
10:51 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
people should just listen to the record in question anyway haha. you should never read a review and have that stop you from checking something out if you were interested in it
11:10 PM on 03/31/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I've only heard Nothing Lasts Forever, Weathered Souls, and Young New England, and I loved each one of them. I'll just disregard this review. I'm stoked to get my pre-order.
you should come back and weigh in when you hear the rest of it.
05:43 AM on 04/01/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
why do people think this is a joke, why would it be funny, and if i was making a joke, why would it be 1400 words
07:19 AM on 04/01/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
This was an awful and very unfair review. You compared apples to oranges and your analogies were completely disjointed. L&F was an excellent album, no doubt, but this record had a completely different feel. You chose the worst song off the record to pick apart and clearly overlooked everything else that was done right. The lyricism of this record isn't something that everyone can relate to because not everyone grew up in Boston, but it's still a great jam. It might not be as powerful as l&f was, but it certainly isn't as god awful as you're making it out to be and I'm actually shocked you rated it this hard.
I'm going to disagree here. First of all, I can compare apples to oranges if I'm deciding what to eat. So I'm saying that this is worse than the last Transit record because it is. Secondly, I have expressed my interest and appreciation for this band growing and changing its sound - I gave Listen & Forgive a very high score, and that by itself is proof that I am not opposed to this band changing its sound on a theoretical level.

Continuing, I didn't just pick apart one song - but the songs I do go into detail with, I use as starting points to demonstrate problems throughout the entire album. That's what you do in a review...you don't talk about each individual song. It's not a track-by-track thing. In total, I mention the names of 8 songs and I think it's pretty fair to say that what I wrote about those 8 songs is indicative of my opinion about the entire record. If it wasn't, obviously, it would not have been a well-written review and I would have talked about more songs. There's no point in saying, "Track A is bad...but wait, Track B is also just as bad...oh, and Track C has a good bridge but the rest of it is also bad." There's no sense in that.

I didn't overlook what was done right, either, as I point out parts that I enjoyed. And you're right - I didn't grow up in Boston. Maybe if I did, I would have felt an intrinsic sense of attachment to the record while I thoroughly was not enjoying it. In the end, I don't think it would have changed my opinion. In the past, I've loved songs where Transit (and other bands) sing about their hometowns. I don't have to be from that town to recognize the universal sentiment expressed when people sing about their hometown. Look at a band like The Wonder Years - their lyrics are very specifically about people I don't know and places I've never been to, but the connection a listener makes to lyrics is not on the surface, it's at the from which the lyric was born. I don't have to be from Boston to connect to the idea of drinking with my friends in the place where I live. I can easily apply that to Pembroke Pines, Gainesville or New York City...all the places I've lived.

I understand you don't agree with the review. That's a good thing - I would be surprised if everyone did. We have different opinions on this record, and you know what, I bet we have different opinions on lots of records. I just don't write about all of them on this website. But having different opinions doesn't really mean the review is awful or unfair - it just means you didn't agree with it. I've written quite a few reviews for this website and in my opinion, this is about as good as I can write a review for a highly respected band, a band that I really have loved for a few years, when I don't think it's a good release. I tried hard to be transparent and explain my opinion in a clear and truthful manner - and I think the review succeeds in that. There's no point in being less than honest when you're writing a review like this - it doesn't do the writer or the audience any good.
07:23 AM on 04/01/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I've loved this site for a very long time and it's reviews like this that make me want to stop visiting...
Why? The review is fair. It's my opinion. It's literally ONLY MY OPINION. If you don't agree with it...then don't agree...but why would that make you stop coming to the site? We have forums so people can disagree with each other and talk about music. Reviews are glorified blogs...people shouldn't get so hurt over one of them. It's the Internet, and these are people who base their careers on something that is supposed to be judged and evaluated and appreciated.
07:25 AM on 04/01/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
This site is full of such elitist assholes who can't appreciate anything unless it has 3 fans or churns the same grungy, shitty lyrics.
Going to disagree again...The Gaslight Anthem has a shit-ton of fans and turned out an album that a lot of people didn't really like, and I didn't let that stop me from saying it was my favorite record of the year. This is the same thing on the opposite side of the spectrum.
07:52 AM on 04/01/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I see what you mean. Basically my point was that I didnt think you were detailed enough on why you hated it, just that you hated it and kept talking about how much better l&f was and then someone Brand New was brought up (not surprised) and I was very confused when reading it. I don't think you're a bad writer, I just think you were too harsh in reviewing this. But like you said, differing opinions are part of life so whatever.
Harsh is a perspective - I would use the word honest and I would say that I didn't pull any punches for a band I like. That's fair to me. Also I thought the Brand New comparison was an interesting one that added perspective.
07:54 AM on 04/01/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Jesus, people are getting pretty hostile on twitter.
Where? I haven't really seen anything bad aside from the normal responses to a bad review. It's not awful.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums