AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:12 AM on 04/01/13 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
You know how your dreams can be a window to the present and future? I believe strongly that our dreams can work like a psychedelic drug in how they filter truths through walls of conscious and subconscious delusion to show realities of life in image form. They are often revealed in the form of symbolism. For example, I had this dream when I was a kid: My youngest sister is floating on soda cushions in our house and the floor looks the same only it's liquid. There are sharks circling her and the duration of the dream is me trying to fend off these sharks. I didn't realize until later on that the dream was actually my unconscious mind warning me of the fact that there were sexual predators in my house and that they were or were thinking about abusing her. She was abused in the same house that I grew up in and I took the dream as nothing more than a nightmare with no deeper meaning and now she is a drug addict and prostitute (14 years later) as a result of being abused by two people in our family. There are other dreams that I later on realized were warnings, signs, or premonitions, but most of them are too personal to mention (and boring). But I will share one more:

When I reconnected withmy best friend from Jr High and Highschool via facebook a year ago I was filled with feelings of dread and anxiety. After realizing that he is in now in a successful Texas band that tours and puts out cds ( whereas I had become more ingrown and more reclusive) I was afraid that we might have grown apart. I had dreams about our reunion and these feelings of anxiety manifested into very detailed and specific scenarios, like being at his house and feeling this very awkward sensation that you get when you're with someone you don't know. That was a year ago. Then, this weekend we finally met and everything I feared was pretty much confirmed. Luckily we still get along, but the relationship that was like two close brothers or cousins now felt like that of two brothers or cousins that only hang out at family reunions.

I realize that most of us go through this (growing apart from friends). But I find it extremely eerie that my dreams seem to hold so much power. I don't really think of this power as supernatural, but how I am able to visualize these very specific little filmstrips that show me something that will happen years later is beyond my understanding. I suppose it's my unconscious mind regurgitating very subtle clues that I don't notice or that I subconsciously try to remain blind of when awake. Things that are happening around me that I block out.

Anyway, recently I've been having dreams of being homeless. And dreams that put surreal visuals to FEELINGS that tell me I won't be around for much longer. This scares the shit out of me. And it's totally possible - I am diagnosed with mental illness and I keep loosing friends and am struggling with being social in class. The future is looking dim and I don't know what I can do about it because I don't quite know how to map out a path that leads from where I am now to a more positive outcome.
01:44 AM on 04/01/13 
User Info.
Fringe
highfive
Male - 19 Years Old
Don't live in fear of your dreams. Whether they actually hold premonition or not, the last thing you want to happen is have them come true based on a placebo.

You mentioned you've been diagnosed with mental illness- does this mean you regularly see a psychiatrist or psychologist?
10:17 PM on 04/01/13 
User Info.
upthepunx
San Diego, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
I've read some of your brutally honest threads before. Putting a lot of faith in something as circumstantial as a dream is not the best way to go. Then you are faced with the situation of a self-fulfilling prophecy versus a prediction to the future. At the time of your Shark dream, there is absolutely no way you could have predicted that the events in your family would have occurred. Let that weight off of your shoulders. You can't let your dream about homelessness guide you into eventually becoming homeless, dreams are nothing more than thoughts in your head - not a reality, non-physical. We find meanings in dreams the same way that we find meaning in inkblots. Ink from a pallet of colors pours out onto a canvas in no specific pattern, yet we see shapes, faces and organization. Our thoughts stir around in our sleep, and we find stories and anecdotes in an effort to organize them. Those thoughts in your head are just that - thoughts. They aren't a reality, as a society we put a lot of emphasis on them, more than we should. We even feel guilty for "thinking" about some things (who would have ever imagined guilt in trade for a thought?). Sometimes you need to put your hand over your chest and feel your heart beating, and your lungs breathing to remind yourself that you are real - you're still alive. Keep moving forward, you're going to feel better.
10:57 PM on 04/01/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
What others have said but also, it's actually pretty cool/interesting that your dreams work like that. Most of us would kill to have this kind of "supernatural" uniqueness.

Don't mean to hate but man I thought people talked you into changing that profile picture haha. It scares the shit out of me everytime I see it.
03:32 AM on 04/02/13 
User Info.
danperez
Hack into your dreams and control your future.
08:07 PM on 04/02/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
With Aching Looks & Breaking Hearts
Upstate New York
Female - 27 Years Old
You know how your dreams can be a window to the present and future? I believe strongly that our dreams can work like a psychedelic drug in how they filter truths through walls of conscious and subconscious delusion to show realities of life in image form. They are often revealed in the form of symbolism. For example, I had this dream when I was a kid: My youngest sister is floating on soda cushions in our house and the floor looks the same only it's liquid. There are sharks circling her and the duration of the dream is me trying to fend off these sharks. I didn't realize until later on that the dream was actually my unconscious mind warning me of the fact that there were sexual predators in my house and that they were or were thinking about abusing her. She was abused in the same house that I grew up in and I took the dream as nothing more than a nightmare with no deeper meaning and now she is a drug addict and prostitute (14 years later) as a result of being abused by two people in our family. There are other dreams that I later on realized were warnings, signs, or premonitions, but most of them are too personal to mention (and boring). But I will share one more:

When I reconnected withmy best friend from Jr High and Highschool via facebook a year ago I was filled with feelings of dread and anxiety. After realizing that he is in now in a successful Texas band that tours and puts out cds ( whereas I had become more ingrown and more reclusive) I was afraid that we might have grown apart. I had dreams about our reunion and these feelings of anxiety manifested into very detailed and specific scenarios, like being at his house and feeling this very awkward sensation that you get when you're with someone you don't know. That was a year ago. Then, this weekend we finally met and everything I feared was pretty much confirmed. Luckily we still get along, but the relationship that was like two close brothers or cousins now felt like that of two brothers or cousins that only hang out at family reunions.

I realize that most of us go through this (growing apart from friends). But I find it extremely eerie that my dreams seem to hold so much power. I don't really think of this power as supernatural, but how I am able to visualize these very specific little filmstrips that show me something that will happen years later is beyond my understanding. I suppose it's my unconscious mind regurgitating very subtle clues that I don't notice or that I subconsciously try to remain blind of when awake. Things that are happening around me that I block out.

Anyway, recently I've been having dreams of being homeless. And dreams that put surreal visuals to FEELINGS that tell me I won't be around for much longer. This scares the shit out of me. And it's totally possible - I am diagnosed with mental illness and I keep loosing friends and am struggling with being social in class. The future is looking dim and I don't know what I can do about it because I don't quite know how to map out a path that leads from where I am now to a more positive outcome.

I have the same types of dreams, I have had them since I was a very little girl. Some are insignificant and some have been almost warnings in things that could have ended badly for me. With out sounding like a complete looney (which im sure i will get read to filth for) there are alot of people in my family past and present who have a type of "gift" like this. Just embrace it, I call them my "checkpoints" It seems every time I feel my life is becoming too much to handle, or if I'm not sure if I am making the right desicions I will have a "deja vu" moment and know I hit my checkpoint and everything is going to be alright. I have followed these dreams for 26 years and I have become pretty successful in a short period of time, Married for 7 years, top instructor in my area for gymnastics, finished college, had a baby, and now I am a stay at home mom who loves every aspect of my life. Your homeless dreams may be the kick in the ass you need to get yourself motivated to work harder on whatever it is in your life that you may be lacking in, Dont take these dreams for granted they are here to help you and guide you so you should let them!!!
10:08 AM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old

quit smoking weed before you go to sleep.

but seriously, don't read so much into your dreams. It's the kinda thing that if you're looking for meaning in it, you're gonna find it. It's like people who give Jesus credit for everything that happens in their lives, good or bad; if you're looking for it you're gonna find it.

I'm not arguing that one's dreams can be a refelction of some subconcious fear, desire, etc. I'm saying that you can't always trust your subconcious mind. Worry about reality and what's going on in your waking life. If you're waking life is healthy (physcially, mentally and spiritually), the dreams will fall in line. Worrying yourself over a dream isn't doing you any favors.

In the words of the Buddha: All of life's suffering comes from reliving the past and rehearshing the future.
01:23 PM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
punkcrap
a stupid fuck with brilliant luck.
Brazil
Male - 24 Years Old
The future freaks me out.

I guess that's something everyone goes through. Some people more than others. I have a lot of mini panic attacks and anxiety, lack of good sleep, because I can't stop worrying about where the fuck my life's going, and if I'm doing it right. But I guess we all have to calm down and understand that this kind of thoughts won't take us anywhere. We have to make the best out of the time we got in the present, seize every day and try to build something from our bare hands and creative minds. Something we have passion for, no matter how big/small it might be - but something that fills our days and gives us a little perspective to face another sunrise.
01:56 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
Don't live in fear of your dreams. Whether they actually hold premonition or not, the last thing you want to happen is have them come true based on a placebo.

You mentioned you've been diagnosed with mental illness- does this mean you regularly see a psychiatrist or psychologist?

No. Don't have the cash to spend on that at the moment, unfortunately.

I've read some of your brutally honest threads before. Putting a lot of faith in something as circumstantial as a dream is not the best way to go. Then you are faced with the situation of a self-fulfilling prophecy versus a prediction to the future. At the time of your Shark dream, there is absolutely no way you could have predicted that the events in your family would have occurred. Let that weight off of your shoulders. You can't let your dream about homelessness guide you into eventually becoming homeless, dreams are nothing more than thoughts in your head - not a reality, non-physical. We find meanings in dreams the same way that we find meaning in inkblots. Ink from a pallet of colors pours out onto a canvas in no specific pattern, yet we see shapes, faces and organization. Our thoughts stir around in our sleep, and we find stories and anecdotes in an effort to organize them. Those thoughts in your head are just that - thoughts. They aren't a reality, as a society we put a lot of emphasis on them, more than we should. We even feel guilty for "thinking" about some things (who would have ever imagined guilt in trade for a thought?). Sometimes you need to put your hand over your chest and feel your heart beating, and your lungs breathing to remind yourself that you are real - you're still alive. Keep moving forward, you're going to feel better.

I don't know if I can agree without a doubt that dreams are just our unconscious mind revealing something about the present. For example, I had a dream when I was around 7 or 8 in which I watched from afar a creepy guy painting a blue and white house near my grandparents' lake cabin. Ive never shared this dream with anyone because I never associated it with anything important. Then, at age 14, m grandparents bought a blue and and white mobile home and it was built right next to that cabin at the lakehouse. Last summer, after spending years in isolation and growing more and more introverted and mentally unstable, I decided to help my grandparents by painting their house. It wasn't until very recently that I realized I was the man I watched in that dream. Now, whether my painting that house is an echo of an impactful dream that I acted out is up for debate, but what I find to be incredibly strange is the fact that my grandparents bought the same house that was in my dream. I never told them or anyone else about my dream.

What others have said but also, it's actually pretty cool/interesting that your dreams work like that. Most of us would kill to have this kind of "supernatural" uniqueness.

Don't mean to hate but man I thought people talked you into changing that profile picture haha. It scares the shit out of me everytime I see it.

R.I.P Ebert.

I have the same types of dreams, I have had them since I was a very little girl. Some are insignificant and some have been almost warnings in things that could have ended badly for me. With out sounding like a complete looney (which im sure i will get read to filth for) there are alot of people in my family past and present who have a type of "gift" like this. Just embrace it, I call them my "checkpoints" It seems every time I feel my life is becoming too much to handle, or if I'm not sure if I am making the right desicions I will have a "deja vu" moment and know I hit my checkpoint and everything is going to be alright. I have followed these dreams for 26 years and I have become pretty successful in a short period of time, Married for 7 years, top instructor in my area for gymnastics, finished college, had a baby, and now I am a stay at home mom who loves every aspect of my life. Your homeless dreams may be the kick in the ass you need to get yourself motivated to work harder on whatever it is in your life that you may be lacking in, Dont take these dreams for granted they are here to help you and guide you so you should let them!!!

Love. Now that I think about it, people in my family often talk about how my aunts and my grandma have a kind of psychic connection. Getting busy signals on their phones often because they call each other at the same exact time and whatnot. Congrats on your success. Good point about the dream being an opportunity to change direction. At this point I think I will have to learn how to change some of my antisocial behavior.

quit smoking weed before you go to sleep.

but seriously, don't read so much into your dreams. It's the kinda thing that if you're looking for meaning in it, you're gonna find it. It's like people who give Jesus credit for everything that happens in their lives, good or bad; if you're looking for it you're gonna find it.

I'm not arguing that one's dreams can be a refelction of some subconcious fear, desire, etc. I'm saying that you can't always trust your subconcious mind. Worry about reality and what's going on in your waking life. If you're waking life is healthy (physcially, mentally and spiritually), the dreams will fall in line. Worrying yourself over a dream isn't doing you any favors.

In the words of the Buddha: All of life's suffering comes from reliving the past and rehearshing the future.

Interesting quote, and completely needed right now.
07:42 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
upthepunx
San Diego, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
[quote=gfxtwin;121040551

R.I.P Ebert.

[/QUOTE]

wow i just saw that he died today :(
08:48 PM on 04/09/13 
User Info.
HoldThatSound
racaaabeef
Everett, Washington
Male - 21 Years Old

"I believe strongly that our dreams can work like a psychedelic drug in how they filter truths through walls of conscious and subconscious delusion to show realities of life in image form." said basically the exact same thing to my friend a few days ago. weird. but true.
12:12 AM on 04/10/13 
User Info.
JulianSmith
UK
Female
Dreams are your future achievements. Never let yourself down and have more dreams in your mind to achieve the target and succeed in your life.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos