Username
Password

05:46 AM on 04/01/13 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 27 Years Old
Does anyone remember this man? The contemporary R&B singer-songwriter/whatever you want to call him who gave us the album Words back in... '96 (I think)? The tune "Nobody Knows" almost has the same replayability after all these years as "Fast Car" (big call... I know). That entire album was great, a modern classic of soul.

But anyway, the reason I started this thread, apparently he has a new album out last month; anybody check it out? Thoughts? I'm about to listen when I can get a hold of it. Hoping for good things, it's his first album in five years.

For those who haven't heard the album Words, start there! Here's "Nobody Knows".

Any fans, share some love & discussion?
03:03 PM on 04/01/13 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 27 Years Old
Just about to take my first listen of the new album Speak Me. Looking forward to this...
04:15 PM on 04/02/13 
User Info.
dinosaurbowser
No Avatar Selected
I didn't know much of the music besides "Nobody Knows" but over the summer of 1996 that song was my jam. That brings back memories.
08:42 PM on 04/02/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
So, I should be checking this out?
04:12 PM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 27 Years Old
Definitely give Words a listen mate. The whole album is in key with that youtube clip.

New one is pretty good too, still digesting & settling with me, only had time for one listen so far, but some good stuff.
04:15 PM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
I've never heard of him before, but the song in the OP is absolutely gorgeous. I will check out Words. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
05:23 PM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
New Hyde Park, NY
Male - 27 Years Old
yeah this dude and this song was one of the most amazing songs from that genre... this song was written by Babyface i believe
06:40 PM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
Jumpoff
Muckduck
East Lansing
Male - 22 Years Old
I was a gigantic fan of that song when I was like 5. Completely forgot about it, thanks for the thread!
09:10 PM on 04/03/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
Definitely give Words a listen mate. The whole album is in key with that youtube clip.

New one is pretty good too, still digesting & settling with me, only had time for one listen so far, but some good stuff.

Absolutely will. Maybe even tonight.

Random aside: have you listened to Charles Bradley?
03:49 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 27 Years Old
Absolutely will. Maybe even tonight.

Random aside: have you listened to Charles Bradley?

Yea mate, & you would think I would be in love with his music, on paper it's everything I enjoy. But for some reason I haven't quite taken to him in a strong way. I certainly don't dislike him, his tunes just haven't captivated me like many of his peers, past & present, for some unknown reason.

I know he has a new album on it's way, soon... probably very soon actually now I think about it. Will definitely check it out. I want to like him, but something is yet to click.

You're a bit of a fan though mate?
09:36 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
Yea mate, & you would think I would be in love with his music, on paper it's everything I enjoy. But for some reason I haven't quite taken to him in a strong way. I certainly don't dislike him, his tunes just haven't captivated me like many of his peers, past & present, for some unknown reason.

I know he has a new album on it's way, soon... probably very soon actually now I think about it. Will definitely check it out. I want to like him, but something is yet to click.

You're a bit of a fan though mate?

I got an advance of his new one for Made of Chalk (though my review isn't up yet, since they sent it to me 3 days before its release) and I think it might be something worth you spinning. Some Temptations influence there. Little touches of Motown's flirtation with psych-soul.

Tbh, I'm kinda surprised No Time for Dreaming didn't click for you. It's weird how some stuff hits all the checklist for things we SHOULD like, but it just lacks this weird x factor.
01:36 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
I never goddamn knew who "Nobody Knows" was until I played the record. I hum that song all the time and just could never remember. Words is goddamn wonderful. Thank you, once again, Craig for showing the light.
02:12 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 27 Years Old
Oh mate, glad you enjoyed it. I really thought you would.

I'll definitely be checking out Bradley's new one, hopefully something will click. So are you staff or a reviewer or such on Made of Chalk mate? Pretty sweet.
02:22 AM on 04/07/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
Yeah I'm doing some sporadic reviews and a bi-weekly feature on classic albums called History 101. (I think I already bugged you to check that out when I did one for Fleetwood Mac).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos