AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hildamay - Miles Away Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Hildamay - Miles Away

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (04/01/13)
Hildamay - Miled Away
Release Date: November 5, 2012
Record Label: Wolf at Your Door

I don’t listen to much foreign music, except for Basement, Refused, and Millencolin. Another band I can add to that list is Hildamay, a five-piece post-hardcore band from Kent. Signed to Wolf at Your Door Records, home to such bands as Deaf Havana and Lower Than Atlantis. They fit in pretty well there, with their brand of melodic post-hardcore sounding not unlike the latter.

Their second full-length album, Miles Away, is lead by gruff vocals akin to Troubled Coast and driving guitar riffs. The opening track, “The Dark,” begins with an almost country-ish tune before erupting into a fast paced punk song. The next song is the single “The Light,” which wastes no time is developing its frantic beat. The highlight of the song is the second verse, in which throaty shouts declare, “it’s getting dark/ and oh so cold/ and I’m alone outside the hospital/ is it time?/ I can’t see/ this is the last time I have faith or belief.”

Track three is the album’s first real standout. “Broken Records” is slightly less heavy than either of its predecessors, featuring a singalong-worthy chorus. Single “Changing the Key” begins sounding eerily similar to Balance and Composure’s “Galena.” The first slow song does not appear until halfway through the record. “Letters Like Bullets” starts with two soft guitars and restrained vocals until a minute and a half through. Even after the sudden crescendo, there is no shouting at all. The ethereal bridge two and a half minutes through is pretty and melodic. “Avenues” sounds fit to have been on Make Do and Mend’s End Measured Mile and leads into one of the slowest songs on the album. “Consequence” begins softly enough before its anthem chorus: “I hate the government/ I think it’s fair to say/ I’ve got nothing left/ I know the consequence/ and I think it’s safe to say/ we meant it.” This is easily the most overtly political song on the album, as others deal with betrayal, death, and a passion for music.

Unfortunately, Miles Away’s closer is a bit of a misstep. The six-minute ballad “Because I Cannot Sleep, I Make Music at Night” is fine for the first two minutes, and then goes into an impressive-sounding two-minute crescendo. All of which is fine. Until around the four and a half minute mark, the music stops. Admittedly, the first time I heard it I thought I’d broken my headphones. Then came the minutelong piano solo, ending the album in a similar fashion to how “Defeat the Low” ended Separation. So, i'd say Hildamay have released a pretty good post-hardcore album. They know what they’re doing, and they’re doing it pretty damn well.

Recommended If You LikeLower Than Atlantis, Troubled Coast, Make Do and Mend, The Bronx, Hot Water Music

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:40 AM on 04/11/13
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
Sounds like B&C's Separation? And more so than that, has a track that sounds like it belongs on End Measured Mile? Well since I like B&C quite a bit, and MDAM is one of my favorite bands, especially End Measured Mile, sounds like I need to check this out. Thanks for the review!
05:43 PM on 04/16/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Sounds like B&C's Separation? And more so than that, has a track that sounds like it belongs on End Measured Mile? Well since I like B&C quite a bit, and MDAM is one of my favorite bands, especially End Measured Mile, sounds like I need to check this out. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the kind words! Definitely worth a listen, tell me what you think!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests