Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 156.
07:42 AM on 04/08/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
I was hoping to read something about the "Hey Ya!" cover.
The original version is so catchy, I was wondering how it translated.

I still love The Maine's spin on "I Wanna Love You". It's fun.
07:44 AM on 04/08/08
NJmu-sickROCK
User Info.
This album is hi-larious, I don't think anyone should take this album seriously
07:48 AM on 04/08/08
all time (joe)
you are what you do
User Info.
i thought forever the sickest kids version of Men In Black was pretty sweet.
07:51 AM on 04/08/08
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
"If only P.Diddy (he co-produced the original), and SKSK for that matter, still had songs like this in them."
i strongly disagree with the part about SKSK (i.e. if i understood what you were trying to say with that line). what an underrated band
07:53 AM on 04/08/08
Awesome_Danny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Men In Black & Still Fly are the best songs on the comp.
..Kryptonite, I Wanna Love You, and I Wish are awesome too
07:54 AM on 04/08/08
blimpcityhero11
Registered Fraud
User Info.
I have to disagree... Person L's "The Seed (2.1)" and All Time Low's "Umbrella" are two of the best on the album. Outside of those, Say Anything's "Got Your Money" and NFG's "Tennessee" are the only other songs I liked off the album.
07:56 AM on 04/08/08
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fantastic opening paragraph, sir.

Why are people taking shots at the Punk Goes... series? Punk Goes 90s was pretty good, Punk Goes Acoustic was good, Punk Goes 80s was good (Midtown's track is killer). This is a misstep in the franchise, but did anyone really expect this to be a solid release? Granted, I haven't even listened to one song off this, so who am I to say anything bad.

I'm waiting for Punk Goes Punk. I would love to hear artists covering other songs from bands in the genre and reinventing them a la Limbeck's cover of Motion City Soundtrack's "Perfect Teeth".
07:57 AM on 04/08/08
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
User Info.
Eh. This review is off.

The "Men in Black" cover is fucking awesome, as is "Hey Ya". "California Love" is a great cover, and so is "I Wish". Making it electronic-sounding isn't a bad thing. The song sounds great.

And saying a six-year old song suffers from "overplayed-itis" is pretty ridiculous to say. It's a cover album of popular rap songs so that's an unfair negative of a six-year old song. "Umbrella" makes sense because there's been 23523 covers of it and it's a year old, but not "The Seed 2.0". By that logic, over half the album gets a negative review because the songs are overplayed.

But I'm really not sure how "Men in Black" was ruined. It's barely even a rap song to begin with, it's pretty much pop, with horrific lyrics. It seems nostalgia is blinding there if that's a song that can be "ruined."

Some people seem to be taking the album far too seriously. It's just supposed to be a group of bands covering hip hop songs for fun and it's fun to listen to. My friends and I have had a lot of fun blasting "Men in Black" and "Kryptonite" in the car.
08:04 AM on 04/08/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
I've always wondered if these would be better/more interesting if the bands actually wrote a song for whatever genre the theme is. But I guess that might defeat the purpose.
08:08 AM on 04/08/08
Nap
User Info.
Is it just me that liked "Nuthin' but a Big Thang" ?
Almost all the rest sucks so much.
I'll be waiting for Punk Goes Skate, with covers of Millencolin, NOFX, Pennywise, Bad Religion...
08:13 AM on 04/08/08
Shooter McGavin
User Info.
Men In Black & Still Fly are the best songs on the comp.
..Kryptonite, I Wanna Love You, and I Wish are awesome too

Finally someone else likes "Still Fly". I know the song sounds awful, but there is something about a guy in tight pants screaming about his SC with convertible top and the rims that keep spinnin' every time he stops.
08:14 AM on 04/08/08
permanentdan
User Info.
I didn't expect much from this album.

I like some songs on Pop Goes Punk. Or vice-versa.

i personally still love the punk goes acoustic comp. memory acoustic was simply amazing.

and on a side note, your avatar...i LOVE the ff series and want a psp simply for this game. zack is awesome, but still no cloud.
08:20 AM on 04/08/08
NinjaJew
Grammar Chief
User Info.
There should be great amounts of discretion applied when covering songs.

I feel very strongly that cover songs should be treated with respect, no matter the genre or artist. If it comes off that you're poking fun, you're just an asshole. I'd feel the same way if 'crunk' stars covered 'punk' stars with equal disregard.

A couple of these bands on this CD are definitely dipping their hands in the asshole jar.
08:21 AM on 04/08/08
Awesome_Danny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Finally someone else likes "Still Fly". I know the song sounds awful, but there is something about a guy in tight pants screaming about his SC with convertible top and the rims that keep spinnin' every time he stops.

i just think TDWP made it work
the sung chorus, "screamed" verses
sounds really fun
08:24 AM on 04/08/08
Awesome_Danny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A couple of these bands on this CD are definitely dipping their hands in the asshole jar.

like who?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests