Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 39 posts
06:51 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Cool review, Jack. 80%-85% is exactly where I would've pegged it.

My thoughts:
"Part II". So good. The chorus actually reminded me of "Let The Flames Begin". I prefer "Still Into You" to "Now" - it fits the quirky style of the record. Anyway, I LOVE this album. The strongest thing about it is how creative it is. I can't really pinpoint who Paramore sound like anymore. It's clear they've drawn inspiration from a diverse list of artists like the Smiths, Justice, Garbage, 90s funk, 80s retro melodic pop, folk, etc… there's just a lot to take in. You'll catch something new every time you hear the record.

My only issues:
"Proof" is a decent song but the chorus seems a bit out of place to me…anyone else?
I loved the ukelele track the first time I heard it, but repeating it throughout the album is…a bit much.

What I've learned from the reactions to this: people feel threatened by the word "pop", being openminded is asking a lot, and that some who listen to it will immediately run to the Farro brothers. But everyone in the band is just doing their thing, and it feels like their least stressful album yet where they don't want to fit into any particular mold. They just let their hair down completely and went loose.
07:03 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Great review Joe. Explained the album really well I think. I've only heard bits and pieces of the album but I've got it preordered, looking forward to hearing the full thing now even more.
Jack ;)
07:06 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
07:14 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Like I said, I think the chorus is fantastic - but the rest of the song is just SO close to "Let The Flames Begin" that it either makes the original or this song a little irrelevant. There's no way I'd listen to both songs in the same playlist.

anapplegod.
Wait, you thought the verses and melodies had a "Let the Flames Begin" sound? I read that wrong. I'd say that about the chorus...
07:19 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
The chorus' instrumentation felt very "Let The Flames Begin" to me. The lyrics are just SO close in the verses that I couldn't get past it - although I'm being outvoted pretty heavily, haha.
I agree, then. The guitar in the verse has a The Smiths tone to me. It's too bad this track isn't one of your faves.
07:35 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
I'm usually a huge stickler for records' cohesiveness - I'll take smooth listening over variety almost every day of the week.
Can you even have cohesion with such extreme variety? I feel like the two don't really go hand-in-hand.
08:17 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Ain't It Fun is one of the best songs they've done. And, yes, you can have a cohesive record with a variety of sound.
I didn't say variety (I know a record can). I said extreme variety. It sounds like a bunch of different artists and genres. But yeah.
08:24 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
I love them and all the albums, but damn this one is their best. And the interludes are just damn cool in my opinion. And what I love the most about Hayley's lyrics is that we aren't treated to 17 love songs, which is almost a staple in the genre. It's weird cause Proof is one of my favorite, anyway. I agree with the review Jack except for Part II (like everyone duh, what were you thinking ;) ). And I would have rated the vocals higher. And kudos to Jeremy and Taylor. The bass is so cool and Taylor is really a talented guy. So bummed I couldn't go to the concert last night.
Our review system is that we rate all of the elements the same, so that the focus is on the overall score. It doesn't necessarily mean that the reviewer thinks the vocals are an 8.

When I think about this I think about Janelle Monae. But that's definitely a rarity.
Thanks and yeah - this is pretty much what I was getting at. Good example.
08:37 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
That doesn't make sense to me...what if the guitars are crap and the vocals are awesome?? Not the case here but>???????
Let the review speak for itself.

It's still at the reviewer's discretion to adjust individual scores, however.
10:07 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
i like this album a lot actually. there's some real gems on here. and i love how long it is. this is how long albums should be, even if a few are worth skipping.
I agree. Viva la long albums.
/mydorkiness
11:18 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Thought this was interesting:
Quote:
(from SongMeanings) It's pretty well known by now that Part II is a sequel song to "Let The Flames Begin" and of course, the opening lyrics mirror that of LTFB "What a shame we all became such fragile broken things", this begins with "What a shame, what a shame we all remain such fragile broken things".

That was a song about triumph, standing tall together to fight for what we believe in, and for hope, uniting together to hold onto our freedom ("This is how we'll dance, when they try to take us down"). 'Part II' is a reflection on that. In a situation where everyone else has stopped "dancing", this person is now fighting alone in a broken World.
05:39 PM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Very well thought out review. Still haven't listened, will just stream it on Spotify next week when it's released. From the preview clips I heard, "Fast In My Car", "Anklebiters", and "Part II" really hit me.
Those are definitely the best songs on the album.
05:40 PM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Mind explaining with some reasoning?
05:53 PM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
For this website, yes. I would also say it is far better than BNE, which got a 90%. BNE was the exact same thing as RIOT.
riiiight
07:29 PM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
@dreudangers
User Info.
Why are people calling this "Hayley's album" again?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos