AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 315.
06:14 AM on 04/03/13
Nardes
User Info.
Pretty good review... my only complaint is your view on Part II. I think it's the best song on the album, and gives the listener the confirmation that even though they have moved on to different styles of music, they still know where they came from. Love love love the song!
06:16 AM on 04/03/13
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Shame you didn't give this a negative review. We could've got "#GFYJA" trending on Twitter and made this review hit upwards of 300,000 hits from Brazil alone.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Good review. Anklebiters is my favorite too.

If you had told me a week ago that I would like the new Paramore album more than the new Transit album, I'd call you crazy. But here we are.

It took me a long time to get into Brand New Eyes, so I was surprised at how well this one clicked with me upon first listen. As I get older, I find myself more accepting of straight-up pop music, and there's a lot of that here. As much as I hate to say it, some parts feel like a Hayley solo album.

The album is a bit too long for its own good. I think it could have been a great 12-track album instead of a good 17-track album with filler.
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
I'm going back to reviewing EPs - SEVENTEEN SONGS IS HARD.

Just make sure you do I The Mighty's record! Great review, looking forward to hearing the CD.
tozborne
Writer, Under the Gun Review
User Info.
I did not have fun listening to this record. At all.
06:17 AM on 04/03/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wait, you thought the verses and melodies had a "Let the Flames Begin" sound? I read that wrong. I'd say that about the chorus...
The chorus' instrumentation felt very "Let The Flames Begin" to me. The lyrics are just SO close in the verses that I couldn't get past it - although I'm being outvoted pretty heavily, haha.
06:19 AM on 04/03/13
VeryWittyName
User Info.
Like I said, I think the chorus is fantastic - but the rest of the song is just SO close to "Let The Flames Begin" that it either makes the original or this song a little irrelevant. There's no way I'd listen to both songs in the same playlist.

That's perfectly reasonable. Anyway, great job, Thomas!
06:19 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
The chorus' instrumentation felt very "Let The Flames Begin" to me. The lyrics are just SO close in the verses that I couldn't get past it - although I'm being outvoted pretty heavily, haha.
I agree, then. The guitar in the verse has a The Smiths tone to me. It's too bad this track isn't one of your faves.
06:26 AM on 04/03/13
Lostsoullx
Check out Seven Remedies & Dinotrax
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
half of this just sounds like a cd by the yeah yeah yeahs. the stuff that doesn't isn't terrible though.
06:27 AM on 04/03/13
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
User Info.
Great review! I'd also disagree about removing Part II, it's definitely one of the best songs on the album and it's placement along side Ain't It Fun and Last Hope is perfect. I love how the band wasn't afraid to experiment with this album and how different all the songs are from one another; it shows that they are still growing as a band and that they are willing to go outside of their comfort zone. I think this is going to become my favorite album of theirs and I can't wait to see what else they have in store.
06:27 AM on 04/03/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I think I like the record overall. This is one that takes more time to sink in.
I wish that:
The Interludes
Ain't It Fun
(One Of Those) Crazy Girls
weren't on the album. Would make it much more cohesive to me.
06:31 AM on 04/03/13
punchedbyagirl
blaremagazine.com // Josh
User Info.
Outstanding review Jack. Definitely agree that the whole album won't be for everyone but there are songs that can appeal to different tastes. Even though it's only April, I think this is the year's most daring record, and a big part of that goes to Hayley and the guys for not sticking to cliches.
06:34 AM on 04/03/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think I like the record overall. This is one that takes more time to sink in.
I wish that:
The Interludes
Ain't It Fun
(One Of Those) Crazy Girls
weren't on the album. Would make it much more cohesive to me.
I'm usually a huge stickler for records' cohesiveness - I'll take smooth listening over variety almost every day of the week. For whatever reason, this record warranted the variety.

And that's the first negative "Ain't It Fun" comment I've seen - adore that song.
06:35 AM on 04/03/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I'm usually a huge stickler for records' cohesiveness - I'll take smooth listening over variety almost every day of the week.
Can you even have cohesion with such extreme variety? I feel like the two don't really go hand-in-hand.
06:38 AM on 04/03/13
wanielledalsh
https://twitter.com/WanielleDalsh
User Info.
Great review!
I really like Fast in my Car. I also like how they're doing the streaming in four pieces so it doesn't seem as long haha
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums