Username
Password
Entertainment News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Entertainment
Inside AP.net

Rdio Launches Vdio

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/03/13)
Our friends over at Rdio have started a new venture called Vdio. It's for movies and TV shows. Check it out.
We started with Rdio and built the most beautiful way to discover, listen, and share an endless stream of music – 18 million songs. Today, we’re previewing our next step on that journey, Vdio, a beautiful new way to buy, rent, and share your favorite movies and TV shows with your friends, in real-time.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
10:46 AM on 04/03/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I always liked Rdio better than Spotify, this is an interesting idea
10:51 AM on 04/03/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I've been holding off from paying for a stream service because of a constant debate in my head on whether to get Rdio or Spotify. If there's a package deal for Rdio and Vdio (or if Vdio is just an included thing of sorts, I'm not 100% sure how this will work), I'm sold on Rdio.
10:52 AM on 04/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I always liked Rdio better than Spotify, this is an interesting idea
If they can do what they'd like and move this to pure subscription as well ... and the content stays as great as it looks on first view -- this would replace Netflix for me. Vdio + Rdio = what iTunes should be.
10:53 AM on 04/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I've been holding off from paying for a stream service because of a constant debate in my head on whether to get Rdio or Spotify. If there's a package deal for Rdio and Vdio (or if Vdio is just an included thing of sorts, I'm not 100% sure how this will work), I'm sold on Rdio.
Rdio unlimited members get a $25 discount on Vdio rentals/purchases it looks like to start.

blog.rdio.com/us/2013/04/introducing-vdio.html
10:54 AM on 04/03/13
texan4lif281
User Info.
If they can do what they'd like and move this to pure subscription as well ... and the content stays as great as it looks on first view -- this would replace Netflix for me. Vdio + Rdio = what iTunes should be.

I agree 100%.
10:56 AM on 04/03/13
drewbaldy
phaynes1 sucks
User Info.
I'm on my phone so I can't see anything, but does the content seem close to that of Netflix? Redbox recently started a streaming service I was kind of excited about but then it just ended up being all the same content from Netflix.
10:58 AM on 04/03/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Rdio unlimited members get a $25 discount on Vdio rentals/purchases it looks like to start.

blog.rdio.com/us/2013/04/introducing-vdio.html
It looks promising. I think I'll enjoy this.
11:01 AM on 04/03/13
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
This is only the beginning. I've heard Spotify will be providing a streaming service soon too.

I am excited for the future of video.
11:01 AM on 04/03/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I'm on my phone so I can't see anything, but does the content seem close to that of Netflix? Redbox recently started a streaming service I was kind of excited about but then it just ended up being all the same content from Netflix.
The content is far better than Netflix - but it isn't unlimited subscription streaming (for now at least). You still have to buy the shows to watch them. I didn't do enough poking around to see how buying the show works (do you get a download, or is it just 'you can watch it here and only here'). Also it wasn't clear what the cost of everything was.

Still has a lot of promise. Rdio's UI is so much cleaner than everything else. It will be interesting to see if this manages to catch on / they are able to add a subscription service to it.
11:08 AM on 04/03/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
This would be sick, I've used Rdio for over a year and I love it.
11:08 AM on 04/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
The content is far better than Netflix - but it isn't unlimited subscription streaming (for now at least). You still have to buy the shows to watch them. I didn't do enough poking around to see how buying the show works (do you get a download, or is it just 'you can watch it here and only here'). Also it wasn't clear what the cost of everything was.

Still has a lot of promise. Rdio's UI is so much cleaner than everything else. It will be interesting to see if this manages to catch on / they are able to add a subscription service to it.
I haven't tried hitting play on something yet either -- will later tonight. I'm curious how the rental structure works as well. But it looks like it lives in the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if they add some kind of "offline" feature like Rdio has at some point though. If this does move to Netflix/Rdio like subscription ... that would be amazing. The synced accounts ... the social stuff built in ... the fantastic design.
11:16 AM on 04/03/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I haven't tried hitting play on something yet either -- will later tonight. I'm curious how the rental structure works as well. But it looks like it lives in the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if they add some kind of "offline" feature like Rdio has at some point though. If this does move to Netflix/Rdio like subscription ... that would be amazing. The synced accounts ... the social stuff built in ... the fantastic design.
Or can you imagine the little things they can do?

You are watching Garden State. A song starts playing. You have some way (maybe through a UI widgit in the lower right corner) of seeing what the song is and bookmarking the artist on Rdio so that you can listen to more of their music latter.

Also hopefully they'll have the same deep level of API support that Rdio does (especially with Netflix killing theirs off).

Like I said, lots of potential. Hopefully it will all work great.
11:18 AM on 04/03/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
You are watching Garden State. A song starts playing. You have some way (maybe through a UI widgit in the lower right corner) of seeing what the song is and bookmarking the artist on Rdio so that you can listen to more of their music latter.
Holy shit, this would be incredible.
11:21 AM on 04/03/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
so it's not instant streaming like Netflix instant? it's just rent/buy?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests