AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Nirvana - With the Lights Out [Box Set] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7.5
Production 3
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 54%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.13
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 5.13
Production 5.13
Creativity 5.13
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 51%

Nirvana - With the Lights Out [Box Set]

Reviewed by: TheOtherAndrew (04/09/08)
Nirvana - With the Lights Out [Box Set]
Record Label: DGC
Release Date: November 23, 2004

Box sets can be a tricky thing to assemble. Sure, you want to find plenty of rare material to please the fans who are likely to spend the money on these things, but you also need to make sure that the music itself is actually listenable and interesting. This must have been a particularly daunting task for the producers of With the Lights Out, Nirvana’s 2004 box set. After all, the band only existed for seven years, and through most of that brief time period, they couldn’t afford expensive production for their music. As a result, the set is very hit-and-miss.

This conflict of rarity versus quality is apparent immediately with the opening track, a cover of “Heartbreaker” by Led Zeppelin from Nirvana’s first show in 1987. Starting the collection off with a legendary song from such an early point in the band’s career seems like a good idea on paper, but the problem is that it’s a barely listenable one-track recording. Cobain’s growling vocals can barely be heard and don’t even come in until more than halfway through the song. By that point, the listener has more than likely become bored with what sounds like an unpolished high school band jamming on a familiar song. This is an extreme example, but many of the songs on With the Lights Out suffer from this problem: they feature borderline quality and were likely only thrown on for the sake of getting them to eager fans. This applies to many of Kurt Cobain’s solo home demos, which were probably recorded on equipment as simple as a boombox. Sure, having solo acoustic renditions of songs like “Pennyroyal Tea” and “You Know You’re Right” might seem worth the retail price to a diehard fan who has been listening to Nirvana for years, but to the more casual listener, these tracks will quickly be forgotten in favor of their more familiar, polished forms.

The other problem that plagues this set is the fact that a lot of this material is simply underwhelming. “Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through the Strip” turns out to be merely a noise jam that mindlessly goes on for seven and a half minutes, and an alternate version of Nevermind’s hidden noise-based track “Endless, Nameless” does little to inspire. The biggest offender, though, is a nine and a half minute version of In Utero’s “Scentless Apprentice.” The track is labeled as a “rehearsal demo,” which is really just code for “unpolished.” The band takes the riff from the song and spends a ridiculous amount of time beating it to death. If there’s anyone who doesn’t quickly become bored with this demo, it will certainly at least give them a headache due to tape hiss. Earlier material on disc one shows the band experimenting with much heavier material than what they became famous for. “Anorexorcist” sounds closer to weaker material from Anthrax than a cut from Nevermind, and “Help Me I’m Hungry” and “If You Must” take atonality to an almost intolerable level.

For all the tape hiss and noise jams on the box set, there are some gems. Completely unreleased songs such as “Do Re Mi” do an amazing job of showcasing Cobain’s songwriting skills and give indications that the band likely would have had many promising years ahead of it. However, most of the material here is either too rough or too similar to the previously released versions of the songs (a version of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” marked as a “Butch Vig mix” is pretty much identical to the Nevermind version) to warrant a purchase. Download a few key tracks if you must, or look for a cheap used copy, but do not spend the 50 bucks that most retailers suggest on this.

Recommended if You LikeNirvana. A lot.

myspace.com/nirvana

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
08:51 PM on 04/14/08
hailthewarrior
good things will come my way
User Info.
Good review Andrew and I laughed at your RIYL section.
09:12 PM on 04/14/08
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Courtney Love is not stoked.

About this review.
03:44 AM on 04/15/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good review, Andrew.

haha, the RIYL part is nice :-D
06:30 AM on 04/15/08
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Very Good Review.

I have been a fan of Nirvana since I first heard Nevermind in 1992 at age 11, but from reading this review and others I've read of the box set, no way in hell would I drop $50 bones for it.
05:16 PM on 04/15/08
TheOtherAndrew
I like talking to things
User Info.
Good review Andrew and I laughed at your RIYL section.
Good review, Andrew.

haha, the RIYL part is nice :-D
Very Good Review.

I have been a fan of Nirvana since I first heard Nevermind in 1992 at age 11, but from reading this review and others I've read of the box set, no way in hell would I drop $50 bones for it.
Thanks guys.
Courtney Love is not stoked.

About this review.
ha, if I had half the money she did, I wouldn't worry too much about assholes throwing stones online.
03:26 AM on 04/16/08
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Courtney Love is in dire need of a giant life enema
09:13 AM on 04/16/08
Sashaisacoustic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i swear this came out about two years ago

still

good review
09:25 AM on 04/16/08
TheOtherAndrew
I like talking to things
User Info.
People review old albums all the time on here. And thank you.
09:25 AM on 04/16/08
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
it's sad how she beats the public of money with his legacy.

A number of these songs were already on random rarities.
09:26 AM on 04/16/08
TheOtherAndrew
I like talking to things
User Info.
A number of these songs were already on random rarities.
The only track worth hearing that wasn't already a B-Side or compilation track is Do Re Mi.
10:57 AM on 04/16/08
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
Good review. While there's some listen-able and interesting stuff here (the full-band demo of Polly, I Hate Myself and I Want To Die), definitely not worth retail price.
12:09 PM on 04/16/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
i swear this came out about two years ago

still

good review
People review old albums all the time on here. And thank you.
What Andrew said.
01:20 PM on 04/16/08
TheOtherAndrew
I like talking to things
User Info.
Good review. While there's some listen-able and interesting stuff here (the full-band demo of Polly, I Hate Myself and I Want To Die), definitely not worth retail price.
(New Wave) Polly from Incesticide is way better than the full band demo on the box set, imo.
04:51 PM on 04/16/08
UntilItKillsYou
Does it feel like a Trial?
User Info.
Well done sir
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music