Password

11:17 AM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Bumped my lip on a biscuit.
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
Hello gentlemen and ladies,

Two of my friends and I are in the process of developing an asynchronous multiplayer mobile football game called Pocket Dynasty Football. It's the first time any of us have tried to do this, so I wanted to share it with you guys.

Basically, we are in a 32-player Madden Leage (4th String, created by Todd Zuniga who you may remember from 1UP Sports Anomaly - he also wrote all the fake Twitter stuff in Madden this year) and kind of realized that there are no great American football games on mobile devices. They either try to replicate their more powerful console counterpart and it comes off clunky or it's just a card-based game or you just get to see how far away you can kick a field goal from.

I won't post the long version of how the game works unless you guys are interested in hearing about that, but here are some prelim screens and some art assets that we have made. The game logic is up and running and we're planning on an August/September release, in time for football season on iPhone, iPad, Android and Kindle.

We are also about to announce a contest where you get to send in team name suggestions. If we pick yours, we'll take a picture of yourself that you send us and make a rendition of it to put in the game for your team, which will pop up when you score or make a defensive stand or something like that.

We're going for a humorous approach to all this shit. So far we have these teams locked in:

Seattle Coffee Bomb
http://pocketdynastyfootball.com/wp-...CoffeeBomb.jpg

Vancouver Narwhals
http://pocketdynastyfootball.com/wp-...erNarwahls.jpg

Phoenix Vaqueros
http://pocketdynastyfootball.com/wp-...ixVaqueros.jpg

And here is a sped-up video of the Cincinnati Swine logo creation:

Here is a screen of what the game screen is looking like:
http://pocketdynastyfootball.com/wp-...reenLowRes.jpg

We are keeping a blog that we update pretty regularly with what it's like developing a game and shit. Anyways, we're trying to build awareness and spread the word, so if you think this is something up your alley, it would be awesome if you could:

Like us on FB:
http://www.facebook.com/PocketDynastyFootball
Follow us on Twitter:
@PDFootballGame
Check out our blog:
http://www.pocketdynastyfootball.com
We're on Instagram, too:
PocketDynastyFootball
11:28 AM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Interesting..... (actually interesting. go on)
12:09 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
So, you pick 3 plays at a time (if it's first down) and you can choose from 9 plays (run left, right, middle...pass right, left, middle and pass deep left, r, m...etc.). So, you pick those three plays and send them off to your friend, but before you send them off, you do a quick skill game for each play to determine how hard it will be for your friend to defend against your plays.

The skill games are kind of similar to a few skill games in other games like New Star Soccer or 9 innings. For running plays, you see a view from behind the offensive line and you are trying to "hit the hole" at the precise time. There are little, transparent, moving circles that get bigger and smaller as they move through the offensive line. They turn green when the hole is open (you'll see a gap in the line too). The idea is to tap the circle when it's as small as possible and as green as possible. There will be a huge variation in the circles each time you do the game (speed, number of circles, direction of circles) and it's kind of similar to the pitching mechanic in 9 innings.

For passing plays, it's kind of a top down (or isometric-ish) view and you are the QB standing behind the line. You see your WRs running routes and you pull back, aim and pass the ball and try to time the route to hit one of your WRs in stride. You have to do this before the Defense crashes through the line. For deep passes, you do the same passing skill game, but it's more difficult and further away, but you also do an additional skill game where you have to time and do a pinch motion to catch the ball coming at you.

So, then, you've sent your plays off to your friend. Your friend then tries to guess which plays you picked (kind of like Tecmo Bowl) and selects three plays (same ones as on offense). It then shows your friend which plays you picked and how they compare to what they picked. If they guess correctly, then that particular defense skill game will be easier, but if they guessed way off (they pick pass deep left and you picked run right) then their skill game will be extra hard.

Defending the run is the same skill game as the offense run skill game, basically.

Defending the pass is a skill game where the CB is following the WR stride for stride. At changes in the WR's route, you will be asked to do a gesture (swipe, tap, pinch, etc) quickly. If you do the wrong one, or if you are too slow, you will begin to lose stride with the WR. There will be kind of a big, transparent circle that is a kind of a zone you are trying to stay within for following the WR. If you are outside of the zone when the ball is thrown, then you won't be able to defend the pass (they could still drop it, if the throw was shitty by the guy on offense). If you are in the zone, you will get a similar skill game as the deep pass where you either pinch the ball to go for the pick (risky) or you just try and tap the ball for a swat (safer).

After each skill game on defense, you see how many yards you've allowed per play. The results go back to the guy on offense, and if it's a first down, then he picks three new plays and continues on. If it's now 4th down, he can choose to go for it, punt of kick a FG. The FG skill game is like new star soccer-ish. The punt one is a little like new star soccer, but you control the power of the punt instead of picking where on the ball to kick it.

So yeah, that was probably a horrible job of explaining this shit. We will have to show you on a lot of these. Believe me, it makes sense.

On top of all of this, you can have a shit ton of games going at once (like words with friends) and, it's free and ad supported. There will be FB and Twitter integration, so you can easily invite friends.

The pay version (probably $0.99) will have the ability to create custom teams (logo, name and color) create full on leagues and you will get to play all of the skill games as separate "arcade mode" challenges with leaderboards.

The league system will allow you to create a league and invite as many friends to join. The commissioner will be able to customize divisions and add and boot players as necessary. The game schedule will probably not be week dependent (i.e. you play your games whenever) until you get to the playoffs.

Fuck that was long.
02:59 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
Clarett'sGreyGoose
Tortured Sports Fan
Male - 26 Years Old
Great idea. Sounds like something I would at least try. But if its good something I could get seriously addicted to
03:18 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
Scanlon
Male - 25 Years Old
I could get into this, in a big way.
06:59 PM on 04/04/13 
User Info.
jrowles
This actually sounds pretty cool
05:45 AM on 04/05/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
Awesome. We're pretty excited about it. Right now I'm trying to write some chip tune music for it, which I've never done before and let me tell you, it is not like writing the music I've written before.

Anyways, I'll probably post some more shit up on here as far as blog posts goes or random updates, just to keep you guys in the know. I'm working on a post right now about marketing and as I write this music, I'll be keeping tabs on what that's like too.

I'll also post something about the contest, which should be launching Monday.
08:59 AM on 04/05/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
Just posted the first blog entry on how we see room for improvement among mobile football games. Check it and discuss!

http://www.absolutepunk.net/journal....entry&e=369431
03:28 PM on 04/05/13 
User Info.
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
Dayton, OH
Male - 20 Years Old
I like this idea. I like it a lot.
08:07 AM on 04/06/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
I'm glad you guys all really like the idea of it. I just hope it doesn't go the way that eveyone says Transit's new album went (I haven't spun it yet).

I just posted our second blog post where we kind of go over how we found what tool we wanted to use to make PDF. It's a pretty interesting read. The next post will be on learning how to animate characters.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/journal....entry&e=369451
08:18 AM on 04/12/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
New blog up about the contest we're having, which ends on NFL Draft Day!

Basically, you make a name up for a team and if we like it, we'll use it and put your face in the game as a cartoon. Pretty sweet, right?

http://absolutepunk.net/journal.php?...661 &e=369561
12:42 PM on 04/14/13 
User Info.
TSLROCKS
Knicks 2016 World Champions!
Brooklyn, NY
Male
I'd try it
07:54 PM on 04/15/13 
User Info.
lijuqing
No Avatar Selected
Sure. My first foray into fantasy baseball was a random league last year (auto-drafted), and I finished second. Lots of fun
09:48 AM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
babyseat
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 29 Years Old
Hey, a blog entry on animation and how time consuming it is!

http://www.absolutepunk.net/journal....ournal&j=42661

Also, only NINE DAYS until the NFL Draft, which means only nine days to enter our contest (see above)!
08:00 PM on 04/17/13 
User Info.
lianghai
No Avatar Selected
Interesting..... (actually interesting. go on)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos