Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts.
09:01 AM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
FACE value on the floor and 100 level at the UC Chicago show are $600. FACE.

Should be boycotted at those prices.
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Every time a band prices tickets at (for example) $100 then people buy and resell them for $600, you know who's making money off the band? The resellers. They're making five times the amount of money per ticket than the band is. Supply and demand. No one is forcing you to buy those tickets, but there are certainly people out there who are willing to pay that.
09:28 AM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Did you read the post? He did not say resold tickets are going for 600, he said they are being sold originally for 600 (face value)
Sigh.

So instead people will buy them and re-sell them for $1000?
False. I don't know how to explain economics to you if you don't understand the principles of supply and demand.

Are there some people who are willing to pay $1000 at resellers for $600 face value tickets? Sure. But the band should just price those tickets at $1000 to begin with so they reap the profit instead of resellers. If the band priced all their tickets at $4000 and resellers bought them to resell at $8000 no one would buy them because there is no demand at that price.
09:30 AM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. Thank you.
Just read my above post for an economics lesson that people on AP, including you, are evidently in need of.
09:43 AM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
That's cute, but you're missing the point. The secondary market justifies better anti-scalping mechanisms, not redirecting the exploitation of fans so the band reaps the profit.
I think my disagreement with you, and with people in this thread, is that that you're all acting like you have a right to see a band in concert at a reasonable price more than the band has a right to make money (which, you know, is their livelihood).
09:48 AM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
The band does deserve to make money. But they also owe it to their fans, who are the ones that give them money, to be fair and reasonable. Yeah, I know they CAN charge whatever price because of supply and demand. I've taken multiple economics lessons. But that doesn't mean they have to.
Why do they owe it to their poor fans in particular? Ideally you'd let everyone pay exactly as much as they valued the show at and hold it at a 200,000 person amphitheater, but that's not how the world works. So instead, because the band wants to make money, they choose to play to the people who can and will pay the most to see them.
09:59 AM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Let's not pretend for a second that The Rolling Stones actually need the money in any way at all.

At this point in their career, this tour should be a victory lap for them to cement their legacy to a new generation of fans who can't typically afford a $600 ticket.
I think it's an interesting debate for any band. I know that U2's individual concerts shows cost so much to put on that they more or less break even on touring, so prices like this might allow them to actually make money on their shows. I think the stages alone were like $30 Million for U2's 360 degree tour.
12:16 PM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
You still miss the point the other guy was saying. You went out of your way just to "prove a point"
There is no point here, other than everyone else seems to be unable to view ticket pricing through the eyes of the bands. I'm done with this thread.
12:56 PM on 04/05/13
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Ticket prices don't go down if people buy them. If fall out boy does an arena tour and tickets are $250...is that ok?

And the "pit" at the UC show is $1500 a ticket face price. It's absolutely absurd. Do I actually think people will boycott? No, it was an exaggerated statement. But to say its the dumbest thing you've ever read? Come on. I'd say reading face value of tickets at $600-$1500 certainly rivals it
Sure it's OK if FOB charges $250 for a ticket. Would it make some people mad, namely a lot of people in this thread? Sure.

But if the market price for those tickets -- the price that people are willing to pay, is $250 -- then why don't they charge that much? Why charge $50, let scalpers buy them all, then let scalpers make that additional $200 per ticket instead of the band?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS