Username
Password
Fall Out Boy News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Fall Out Boy
Inside AP.net

Joe From Fall Out Boy AMA

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/05/13)
Joe from Fall Out Boy answered a bunch of questions on Reddit yesterday. A run down can be found in the replies.

Submitted by zachff

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
11:58 AM on 04/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
FOB used to be a hard band for me to write in. I would write the occasional song with Patrick (Pros and Cons & Atavan Halen). But normally Patrick and Pete would get so ahead of themselves, and excited about completing songs, they'd leave little room for Andy and I. Hence the small amount of writing contributions on our older stuff. I mostly just wrote guitar parts into the songs for that timeframe.

I suppose it was a reason I needed time away to do other bands/projects. I write a stupid amount of songs, and I had to get it all out. So I got a lot of it out, and it helped me to reassert myself in FOB.

Coming back into it, we restructured how we write. I wrote a good amount of music on SRR with Patrick, at least half the record. Andy doesn't tend to want to write, not that he can't. He's a talented guy. It's just not a major moving factor for him. However, he sings a lot of backgrounds on this record, which is different than usual.

As it stands now, Patrick and I write things on our own (musically) and trade them back and forth, sometimes adding to or completing each others thoughts. Sometimes Pete and I will have an musical idea and I'll send it to him, and he'll send it to Patrick. Same happens, and has always happened, with him and Patrick. Now I just get added into that process. Lyrics are a Pete thing that get handled by Patrick.

I work with lyrics in my other bands to varying degrees. But this one (FOB) is more delicate and specific, and I respect that. I'm more of a music guy anyway. That's where I make the most sense in this band when we write.

There are definitely guitars and drums in that song. It's slathered all over it. I'm surprised when people say this, it's as if they're not listening for it. Or maybe they're listening for something very specific. I don't know. It's all there, in spades.

If rock music is a specific one thing, then you're missing the point. Rock music was a bastard child of the blues and jazz. It has always been about mixing ideas, cultures, pushing boundaries and thinking completely outside of the box.

It doesn't mean rock can't/shouldn't sound exactly like Cream, the Beatles, the Stooges, Metallica or whomever is usually classified in a rock standard rock pantheon. But if that's all that gets made in the "rock" spectrum from here on out, then you might as well say goodbye to rock as a real force.

Truth be told, a lot of bands that imitate that are being very safe. Rock should be about progression.

Tony Visconti (producer behind many classic rock artist such as Bowie, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, Iggy Pop and many more) recently said this in a NY Times article:

"Rock n roll is like dixieland jazz now. Its an old art form. For years, hip hop was the new rock n roll. Even that's getting a little conservative. Once people get rich doing what they do, they get conservative. You might have this spirit in you from when you were a kid, but's it's not the angst and anger that got you there."
12:01 PM on 04/05/13
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
Pretty cool insight. Glad Joe has a larger presence in the formation of the songs.
12:03 PM on 04/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Pretty cool insight. Glad Joe has a larger presence in the formation of the songs.
Which is even more interesting contrasted with all the comments of "where's Joe's guitar riffs" ...
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i wonder how this will affect people bitching about not hearing his guitar parts in the songs released thus far.
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
Which is even more interesting contrasted with all the comments of "where's Joe's guitar riffs" ...
just beat me haha.
12:16 PM on 04/05/13
jasonintransit
Registered Tweeter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
true that
12:18 PM on 04/05/13
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Quote:
There are definitely guitars and drums in that song. It's slathered all over it. I'm surprised when people say this, it's as if they're not listening for it. Or maybe they're listening for something very specific. I don't know. It's all there, in spades.

If rock music is a specific one thing, then you're missing the point. Rock music was a bastard child of the blues and jazz. It has always been about mixing ideas, cultures, pushing boundaries and thinking completely outside of the box.

It doesn't mean rock can't/shouldn't sound exactly like Cream, the Beatles, the Stooges, Metallica or whomever is usually classified in a rock standard rock pantheon. But if that's all that gets made in the "rock" spectrum from here on out, then you might as well say goodbye to rock as a real force.

Truth be told, a lot of bands that imitate that are being very safe. Rock should be about progression.

Tony Visconti (producer behind many classic rock artist such as Bowie, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, Iggy Pop and many more) recently said this in a NY Times article:

"Rock n roll is like dixieland jazz now. Its an old art form. For years, hip hop was the new rock n roll. Even that's getting a little conservative. Once people get rich doing what they do, they get conservative. You might have this spirit in you from when you were a kid, but's it's not the angst and anger that got you there."

12:20 PM on 04/05/13
kmonkey2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really glad to get further insight from Joe and hear he is more involved in writing the music. It sounds like they are all very happy with how their collaboration worked this time after perhaps having issues in the past or some people wanting to be more involved.
12:21 PM on 04/05/13
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
Im really excited for this new album... I love how this band has transformed over the last 10 years.
12:31 PM on 04/05/13
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
My guess would be since he had a hand in the structuring and actual genesis of many of the songs, there was no longer a need for him to put his "stamp" on these songs, it was already there. That, mixed with the fact these new songs don't really call for the types of leads he usually plays on top of their tracks. If Fall Out Boy keeps it up, we'll always be talking about them, they change with the times.
12:45 PM on 04/05/13
nabced
User Info.
I'm gonna miss Pete's lyrics.
12:56 PM on 04/05/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
"If rock music is a specific one thing, then you're missing the point. Rock music was a bastard child of the blues and jazz. It has always been about mixing ideas, cultures, pushing boundaries and thinking completely outside of the box."

This makes me feel good. They're probably going to release a great record, really glad they're open-minded and not stuck in the past.
01:13 PM on 04/05/13
SuchAPerson22
bert macklin, FBI
User Info.
This was neat. Answered a lot of questions... some I didn't realize I had.
01:19 PM on 04/05/13
wearefriends
User Info.
My guess would be since he had a hand in the structuring and actual genesis of many of the songs, there was no longer a need for him to put his "stamp" on these songs, it was already there. That, mixed with the fact these new songs don't really call for the types of leads he usually plays on top of their tracks. If Fall Out Boy keeps it up, we'll always be talking about them, they change with the times.

couldn't agree more. since he's actually writing with patrick he doesnt feel the need to have to come up with something that might just get drowned out in the mix anyway. so happy with the changes they're doing. it seems more like 4 guys instead of 2.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums