AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pentimento - Pentimento Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Pentimento - Pentimento

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (04/06/13)
Pentimento - Pentimento
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: November 13, 2012

There are an uncountable number of bands who put their music up for free download that I have never heard of. The vast majority of them I just pass by, because as it is I have far more music than I listen to. So it’s safe to say that I miss out on thousands of bands that could become my new favorite, given the chance. Pentimento was almost one of those bands. When they put up their self-titled album in November of last year I had no idea who they were. But I figured I’d give it a try. I forgot I had it and didn’t start listening to it until December. Mistake.

“Unless” shows you exactly who Pentimento is, with a fast guitar riff and a drumroll welcoming you to one of the best releases of 2012. Rough vocals come in soon with some of the album’s best lyrics, “And I stared out into what looked like always/ for what felt like forever/ asking what exactly would I have to do/ to make this mean as much to you/ as it means to me?” This is one of the best tracks on the album, as well as a great way to catch the listener’s attention. Its follow-up is the mid-tempo single “Circles,” which is just as catchy, despite being slower and less aggressive.

The next four songs make up the central part of the album. “Conscience (Consequence)” features my absolute favorite lyrics on the album, “I’m not ashamed/ to admit my feelings/ until it comes down/ to someone who counts/ I’m acting like I’m supposed to save the world/ but I just want to seem real/ to other people/ it's in the way that my brain tells my mouth to say something relevant/ to get a laugh and feel approved,” as well as an awesome ending that reminds me of early Taking Back Sunday songs like “There’s No ‘I’ in Team” or “Head Club.” The shortest song on Petimento is “The Wind.” Based off a dream that the band’s drummer had, the song’s pseudo-chorus section gives a chance to highlight their bassist. “No One Lets You Know” begins with distant-sounding cymbal crashes and melodic singing. The bridge slows down slightly with some of the album’s tighter musicianship. A ten-second acoustic guitar solo begins “Days Away” before the full-band kicks in with pop-punk attack. The second verse displays driving drumwork, while the chorus is anchored down by a catchy riff.

The album’s closing pair, “For Winter” and “On Summer” blend somewhat, but in a good way, like the band wanted “For Winter” to lead into the ultimate song. “On Summer” is the angriest song here, and definitely exudes an air of closure. A fitting end to the second-best record of two-thousand and twelve anno domini.

While I’ve handed out some deserving praise, Pentimento isn’t a perfect record. The acoustic version of “The Bridge” almost seems like it was released for the sole purpose of saying, “Hey, we have a good singer.” It also features some pretty cheesy lyrics about “math and other things I do not understand.” The album’s real ballad, “Subtle Words” is rather bland. Yes it’s got strings; yes the band took a risk. But in this case it doesn’t work. Admittedly, the song gets considerably better at 2:20. Another problem, albeit a smaller one, is that many of the songs follow a similar structure: quiet intro, shouted verse, catchy chorus that is never repeated, and a loud outro with one line repeated over and over in the background (where my previous Taking Back Sunday comparison comes from).

All that said, Pentimento is still a fine release. Better than a fine release, this is excellent, especially for a debut. This album is not about hate, and it’s not about pain, it’s about passion and sincere music. That’s what this is.

“Everyone I know considers me a joke/ with good reason, I suppose.”

Recommended If You Likea pop-punk Balance and Composure, Transit, Daytrader and stuff

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
04:11 PM on 04/08/13
SaveYourGenRecs
User Info.
Nice review. I agree the lyrics are hit and miss but when they hit, they really hit.
03:31 AM on 04/10/13
jamesmolloy
ole` saltine hands
User Info.
great review. The similarity of all the songs threw me off of the album on my first listen as well. a few months later i gave it a second chance and it stuck. now i think the album is brilliant, definitely one of my favorites right now.
03:20 PM on 04/10/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
great review. The similarity of all the songs threw me off of the album on my first listen as well. a few months later i gave it a second chance and it stuck. now i think the album is brilliant, definitely one of my favorites right now.
Thanks, man! It's a good one.
03:20 PM on 04/10/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Nice review. I agree the lyrics are hit and miss but when they hit, they really hit.
Thanks man!
08:30 AM on 06/26/13
meanmedianmoge
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definitely hear/see the TBS resemblance (they are both from NY too) but I gotta say, I love the yelled vocals, it reminds me of a more agressive Jon Simmons from B&C with a more rock oriented sound. great album and review
11:00 AM on 06/28/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Definitely hear/see the TBS resemblance (they are both from NY too) but I gotta say, I love the yelled vocals, it reminds me of a more agressive Jon Simmons from B&C with a more rock oriented sound. great album and review
I like the shouted vocals too, but I think they sound less aggressive than Jon actually.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums